Your worst injury...

Started by lionwing, May 28, 2013, 09:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

Ok...time to show the war wounds...

While modelling what has been the worst injury you have sustained?

I caught myself with the "wrong" end of a soldering iron this weekend and it hurt like a B****.  The end result...a few blisters but nothing else!

:dunce:
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: lionwing on May 28, 2013, 09:55:07 AM
Ok...time to show the war wounds...

While modelling what has been the worst injury you have sustained?

I caught myself with the "wrong" end of a soldering iron this weekend and it hurt like a B****.  The end result...a few blisters but nothing else!

:dunce:

Friends, I can relate to the post very well, intimately, one might say!!!

In the past couple of months I have been teaching myself to solder and I sympathise greatly with anyone who has done the same as yourself.

A month ago I was soldering quite happily until the moment I forgot what I was doing..............

The passing years have not only resulted in loss of memory and loss of teeth amongst other things!  My hands also shake when I try to do anything intricate, so it is only natural for me to use two hands together to steady my shaking!

I think by this time you are already ahead of my writing!

Thats right I automatically reached across and grabbed the hot shaft of the iron, NOT my hand, and of course burnt all the insides of my fingers!

Uttering a cry of "Oh Bother!" I dropped the soldering iron which made contact with the crotch of my shorts on the way down and seared a certain part of my anatomy!

Wildly grabbing for the IRON I missed and it hit my bare foot leaving a burn across my toes!

After emitting a few choice words and standing up to inspect ALL the damage, the lights went out as the iron burnt through its own wire , short circuited and the trip switch went off.

I then stepped on the soldering iron with my other bare foot!

"Oh Bother!" I said, or words to that effect but a little more vehemently!

One day I might tell you the other story?  (woodworking)

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

scotsoft

I had a soldering iron injury a while back.

I have a gas powered soldering iron and was soldering some wires in the car.  I had finished soldering and gave the iron to a friend to hold while it cooled down and I finished the tidying up. 

After I had done, I grabbed the end old the iron to see if it was cold enough to put the cap on, the problem was I had not switched it off so my thumb and forefinger ended up with two enormous blisters and while they healed, life was very difficult trying to get by not using thumb and forefinger on your dominant hand.

cheers John.

Bikeracer

Been there myself.

It's sods law that the only time you drop something and manage to catch it,it'll be the business end of of a hot soldering iron.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Oldman

Not railway modeling but years ago (30+years) when i used to make Airfix Kits.
Using a scalpel with a brand new blade I managed to slice the tip off one of my fingers.
Industrial accidents are a total different ball game,I do those properly.
When I was driving for a living.  Tying a steam pressure slipped and put my hand out to stop myself slipping and managed to severe the tendons in one hand (went down to the bone) on the stainless steel  exhaust.
3 months off work, now limited movement in those fingers and as a result of the accident the manufacturers then put a safety lip on the top of the exhaust.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Christina

Worst I've ever done was slice over the top of a few fingers with a scalpel, nothing bad. Worst soldering iron burn I've had was nothing major either, just a little white blister on the top of my thumb.

Newportnobby

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on May 28, 2013, 10:13:09 AM

One day I might tell you the other story?  (woodworking)

Regards, Peter.

Oh my - I am sorry, Peter, but I just fell off my chair reading this so apologies if I've hurt your feelings :-[
To think, I have all this to come :worried:

Sprintex

Jeez, it's like the Reg Prescott appreciation society in 'ere! :laugh:

Paul

longbridge

Worst injury 1956 playing soccer at school, as goalkeeper I dived to save the ball and crashed head first ibto the goal post, the result was a Fractured Skull, 12 days in hospital and six weeks off school wasn't to bad though  :D     .... could count for the reason I am a bit of a crackpot now  :doh:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: Sprintex on May 28, 2013, 12:31:17 PM
Jeez, it's like the Reg Prescott appreciation society in 'ere! :laugh:

Paul

:smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

Greybeema

Modelling related is mostly trying to trim my fingers with a scapel.

Non modelling related was treating a groin strain with ralgex.  If you are ever temped - DON'T...   :'(
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

thebrighton

Whilst adding some static grass a while back I managed to complete the circuit. It is amazing what 3v can do and how far and wide the grass can fly!
Gareth

AndyGif

worst injury,  bank account/wallet with serious seasonal hemorrhaging.
not to mention an inlarged and inflamed credit card statement.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Greybeema on May 28, 2013, 01:25:35 PM
Modelling related is mostly trying to trim my fingers with a scapel.

Non modelling related was treating a groin strain with ralgex.  If you are ever temped - DON'T...   :'(

Ow! Ow! Ow!

I too did just the same when I was working on the farm and slipped badly in the yard.

Got some on my "bits", nearly went through the roof!!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

cycletrak9

Peter, your story reminds me of the old Hoffnung recording of the letter to an employer fron an employee explaining why he is not at work. It involves a building site, barrels and bricks and used to be regularly played on the radio years ago. I've not looked but I'm sure it will be on Youtube somewhere - it's well worth searching out.i

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations