Do minor running problems add realism ???

Started by sparky, July 23, 2014, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I know that we all want top quality reliable locos to play with....sorry model with.... but the odd minor niggle with a loco running a bit rough in need of a minor clean or modification in my mind adds a bit of realism....I am modelling BR Blue Western Region....Westerns/47/37/25/31 etc... from what I remember availability of the real locos was not high compared with the new locos of today...so having to pull a loco from duty and swap it with another while taking it to your nearest "works" for repair sort of feels right. I don`t want the locos to fall to bits but the odd problem is no problem to me .What do you think....I thought the steamers were even less reliable but they were from another age for me!!!!

Newportnobby

Not for this person :no:
If I want to run something hauled by a particular loco (and I have many to choose from ::)), then I want it to run with that loco. Finding it's split a gear or has a pickup issue or anything that prevents me running it makes me feel like throwing it into the middle of next week :veryangry:
Perhaps I need anger management courses :hmmm: :-\

Jools

I think we can model failures without actually having them (thunderbirds et all!)  please don't give the manufacturers more excuses for producing shoddy goods that don't run well out of the box!   :D

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

In day to day use I'm with NN, Bealman and others. A dead loco is shoddy workmanship and annoying amongst other things :veryangry2:

One exception could be if you deliberately model a scene where a loco has failed, so long as the loco has failed cos your controller stopped it :-X

I made an exception on my layout for locos that have given great and reliable service over the years but for various reasons are now surplus to requirements. In my case that includes locos from my childhood that are now time expired, DC locos where it is not viable to convert them to DCC and a few older models that have been usurped by a newer superior model such as a Farish Western. I have a mock depot in the middle of my fiddle yard where these faithful old timers are on display...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

That's right... you and I have had discussions on this in the past.

How about reminding us with a pic or two, please, Mike?  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

Here you go George

[smg ID=2579]

There is a Minitrix Britannia and Warship, a Peco Jubilee and a couple of Hymeks made from white metal kits on an Arnold chassis - boy those could haul anything in their day!!!

The depot buildings are lovingly constructed Scalescenes kits, they are beautiful but I couldn't find a place on the main layout to use them :'(
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Tom U

If I was to model the Bangkok to Chiang Mai line, for realism I would have to factor in decayed track and land slips causing multiple derailments.  After one spate of derailments a year or so ago (fortunately the trains are slow, so no serious casualties), the line was shut for a period for refurbishment.  The track was re-opened with a special from Lamphun to Chiang Mai, great fanfare, the "Boss of Trains" on board, TV and press in attendance.  The train, you guessed it....derailed!  :doh:

sparky

Newportnobby

I do have a dummy green Hymek which (being just DC) I can justify being rescued (as having failed) by a steamer :-X

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations