juke box memories

Started by joe cassidy, December 11, 2021, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invicta Alec

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 11, 2021, 02:17:47 PM
This morning I experienced a wave of nostalgia which made me think about the music I used to listen to on the juke box in the Marmion pub in Tamworth, Staffordshire in the mid-seventies :

Soul Finger, by the Bar Kays

Joe, maybe the landlord didn't have the records changed too often. The Bar Kays did Soul Finger in 1967.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2021, 04:32:25 PM
Quote from: class37025 on December 12, 2021, 11:50:09 AM
was it Smiths that used to have the booths where you could listen to 45s before buying them, or not  :-[

When I were but a stripling of 17 I worked Saturdays at the local Co-op and they had booths for listening to music in - limit 3 toons (and long before the days of headphones) :D

There were booths in a couple of places I used to frequent. I don't think they were record shops though  :hmmm:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

I'm not sure we want to know about that, John..... :hmmm:   :-[ >:D

willike1958

In a broken dream - Python Lee Jackson - The Horse Vaults in Pontefract
Psycho Killer - Takling Heads - The Railway Hotel in Castleford
Born to run - Bruce Springsteen - The Royal engineers in Castleford

joe cassidy

Quote from: Invicta Alec on December 12, 2021, 04:47:04 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on December 11, 2021, 02:17:47 PM
This morning I experienced a wave of nostalgia which made me think about the music I used to listen to on the juke box in the Marmion pub in Tamworth, Staffordshire in the mid-seventies :

Soul Finger, by the Bar Kays

Joe, maybe the landlord didn't have the records changed too often. The Bar Kays did Soul Finger in 1967.

Alec.

In Tamworth we were a few years behind the times  :)

Newportnobby

I'll never forget a young lad putting Sinead O'Connor's 'Nothing compares 2 U' on time after time while he cried into his beer. Poor devil, but it bugged the hell out of the rest of us after the third play.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc

My local had the Hollies "The air that I breath" that was in the charts at the time. Unfortunately it stuck about half way in. It was popular with the punters but you needed to give the jukebox a "gentle" nudge at the right time..
Frijid Pink were popular in the discos I ran in the 70s
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

NGS-PO

The Grill, Perth:

Disc 13
Track 11

The Stone Roses, I Am The Resurrection.

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

guest311

Dave Clark 5 'Glad all over'  :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations