DJ Models 2014 Announcements

Started by steam-driven boy, July 23, 2014, 12:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

I have now added a poll on here identical to the one on RMWeb.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23000.msg240431#msg240431

There is an option to indicate that you have voted on the RMWeb poll so as not to duplicate votes.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

zwilnik

Purely from the stats and analysis point of view, having  a poll on this forum as well as RMWeb could actually be counterproductive to achieving the goal of a Pendolino. (also possibly another aspect of why Dave only put the poll on RMWeb).

He now has the problem that some people will vote in the poll here and not on the RMWeb one, thus reducing the predicted demand and he can't include the results of this poll as some people will have voted in both, so he'd end up with overinflated numbers if he did.

silly moo

I don't want a Pendolino myself but find it strange that there is a reluctance by some to show their interest on RMWeb.

I have a broad range of railway interests and am a member of RMWeb, it contains a lot of interesting material and inspirational layouts (some of them are even N gauge) I just ignore the very few obnoxious posts that occasionally appear.

I've found most of the RMWeb members very helpful.

:NGF: NGF is the most friendly forum though.

Tank

As with most things in life, we all have our own opinions for various reasons, which also includes forums by the look of it.  :) 

It is best for all of us to cease the NGF/RMweb comparisons and stay on the subject of this thread.

Bealman

As a moderator of this forum, I am trying to be moderate.

If DJM is indeed bringing out a product to be hopefully sold on a possibly global market,  then the company needs to look at all options...

One of them being let's see the product before we can comment.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Bealman on August 14, 2014, 11:51:37 AM

If DJM is indeed bringing out a product to be hopefully sold on a possibly global market,  then the company needs to look at all options...

The poll is about whether there is support for a Kickstarter (or similar) project to test whether there is the market for a Pendolino. DJModels have purely facilitated putting together a price for such a model should it get sufficient support to go beyond the poll. For practical reasons the poll on RMWeb appears under the DJModels topic, having been moved out of another discussion about the sales of Farish /Dapol modern electric locomotives. Dave Jones can hardly be expected to show a model that may never exist.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Karhedron

Quote from: Pengi on August 14, 2014, 09:42:06 AM
The Virgin livery does much to enhance the shape of the front of the Pendolino - will be interesting to see what they look like in other liveries

Agreed, here is an interpretation of how they might have looked in GNER livery. Can't say I care for it so perhaps just as well the ECML units won't be wearing this.  :-\

Sadly the same website does not have the current East Coast or Arriva liveries but it does give some ideas.

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/index.php?sort=&livery=&class=390&group=&coll=
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ScottyStitch

Hi Bealman,

I could understand this stance if we were dealing with a completely new startup/player to the market. But we're not. I don't know Dave, and I don't have any affiliation with DJM, but we're dealing with the former brains behind Dapol products. No matter what anyone says, Dapol, as much as Farish, have contributed greatly to the increase in quality of N gauge products. He has the contacts, he has the technical ability, so what's the problem? He's even alluded to the fact, on the other forum, that he knows how to design and build the thing which would suggest he already has some CAD prepared. He's also stated that a 4 or 5 car version would be available, for smaller layouts.

I don't get it. The poll is about would I be interested in a Pendelino? and if so, would I be willing to put some cash up front?

Where's the risk in ticking yes or no??

Karhedron

Quote from: ScottyStitch on August 14, 2014, 12:52:19 PM
I could understand this stance if we were dealing with a completely new startup/player to the market. But we're not. I don't know Dave, and I don't have any affiliation with DJM, but we're dealing with the former brains behind Dapol products.

I agree, Dave is hardly an unknown quantity. While Dapol has produced some imperfect products, there was a definite drive to steadily improve the baseline during his time there. The most recent models such as the Western and class 22 are very good indeed. Dave has also stated that he plans to address remaining issues such as faulty PCBs and surging motors by using british-designed PCBs, testing all models before dispatch and maintaining stocks of spares.

It is also worth noting that Kernow have switched most of their commissions to DJ Models and placed several new orders with him too. They are clearly confident enough of his ability to deliver and have demonstrated this by putting up their cash upfront.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

red_death

The point is there won't be a product without crowdfunding. I'd be surprised if there is a Kickstarter campaign unless there is sufficient interest expressed at this stage.

I've said that if the demand exists then I would be prepared to co-ordinate or help co-ordinate the Kickstarter campaign, but given that will require some investment of time I wouldn't wish it on anyone if it is a non-starter!

Cheers, Mike

Greybeema

Personally I don't have a difficulty with either DJ Models or Kickstarter funding.  I want a model of a DC EMU (465 Networker) so the Pendolino is just not my gig. 

This is about gauging interest in a specific prototype rather than the future of AC Traction in model form but It could also test funding production this way.

If you want one go and invest - RMWeb is just a portal.  If not - don't..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Newportnobby

I think the thing to remember here (and all other threads) is that the views expressed are not those of 'da Management' but are personal views and they can be of a 'like/dislike' nature as long as they are not being pushed on others please.
There is, and has to be, room for us all in the small percentage of the overall market N gauge represents. Many members of the NGF are also members of other fora and I, for one, would hate to think views expressed here have caused them to shy away from the NGF. Please bear in mind at all times that sometime/somewhere your view may be contrary to what others think but they too have a valid expression of opinion to make.
Just to come back to the topic, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own a Pendolino but am grateful to Dave Jones for acting as a facilitator which may result in folks getting what they want, whether he posts it here/RMWeb/Yahoo N gauge or wherever.
Nuff said, methinks

talisman56

Can someone enlighten the uninitiated as to what 'Kickstarting' and 'Crowdfunding' is and the difference between them, and also which one would be best for this sort of project?

:thankyousign:
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Agrippa

Seems to be some new jargon, I think it's like in a pub saying anyone fancy going to see
The Grand National and the publican says if we get 20 -30 people I'll hire a bus.

If the project flops do you get your cash back . Maybe a bit like Dragon's Den with
multiple backers.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Richard G Dallimore

Quote from: talisman56 on August 14, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Can someone enlighten the uninitiated as to what 'Kickstarting' and 'Crowdfunding' is and the difference between them, and also which one would be best for this sort of project?

:thankyousign:

Reply and new thread here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23008.0
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30