Farish Blue/grey Mk1's

Started by 47033, October 21, 2015, 02:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Guys,

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the Graham Farish blue/grey MK1's part # 374-055E and 374-062C.

I have 2 rakes made up of 374-062 but I need another rake. I see Farish don't have any in their new line up but they do have

a 374-055E soon to be released.   Both are described as MK1 SK Corridor.

Thanks,

Jamie

Chetcombe

I think you will find that the only difference is the running number i.e. the number on the side of the coach itself. It looks like the coaches you already have are BR Western Region coaches (the running number starts with a W), whereas the new release 374-055E looks like it will be an Eastern Region coach (with a running number starting with E).

All coaches had a unique number and tended to run in a rake from the same region. However, things did tend to get mixed up from time to time as I'm sure others can attest to!

So to be completely true to prototype, each coach should have a unique running number and most rakes should have coaches with the same regional prefix (W, E, M, S or SC). In reality though, when a moving N gauge train is viewed from a distance of about 6 inches I would wager that very few can read the running numbers!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chetcombe on October 21, 2015, 04:53:25 AM
I think you will find that the only difference is the running number i.e. the number on the side of the coach itself. It looks like the coaches you already have are BR Western Region coaches (the running number starts with a W), whereas the new release 374-055E looks like it will be an Eastern Region coach (with a running number starting with E).

All coaches had a unique number and tended to run in a rake from the same region. However, things did tend to get mixed up from time to time as I'm sure others can attest to!

So to be completely true to prototype, each coach should have a unique running number and most rakes should have coaches with the same regional prefix (W, E, M, S or SC). In reality though, when a moving N gauge train is viewed from a distance of about 6 inches I would wager that very few can read the running numbers!

Mike is spot on.
At places like Plymouth trains of perhaps 10 - 12 vehicles would often be reduced to about 5 -6 for the rest of the journey into Cornwall, including more often than not the removal of the buffet car  ::) leaving Penzance bound passengers with a two hour trip each way and unable to even get a cuppa  :'(!
Those coaches might well then have been added to another train which, if an inter regional, explains how the various vehicles became mixed up.
Parcels workings were particularly vulnerable to such inter mixing for obvious reasons.
You don't say which dates you layout is set Jamie but between 1966 and around 1974 it was not unusual for blue/grey and maroon coaches to run as part of the same rake which might well be hauled by a green loco.
And don't forget too that some ex LNER coaches and vans, in particular a Gresley buffet in blue, were commonly found in BRWR formations in the early 1970s adding further variety to your formation. But DON'T overdo the LNER stuff or it will begin to look like an LNER layout in the wrong colours  :-[!
Best wishes,
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chetcombe on October 21, 2015, 04:53:25 AM
In reality though, when a moving N gauge train is viewed from a distance of about 6 inches I would wager that very few can read the running numbers!

Exactly the point I was making in another thread about mineral wagons.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Thank you for the info Mike and Greg.

I thought it may have been just that or something very similar but wanted to be sure. Both coaches were described as the same type.

My layout will be based around the late 70's to early 80's British Railways. The majority of the loco's will be blue with the odd green 47
thrown in.  All the coaches will be blue/grey and the location will be a fictitious one.

And by the way, all my loco's will be renumbered but the coaches and wagons will not. I struggle to see the loco numbers let alone coaches and wagons.

Jamie

Jonner

I 100% agree with the answers giving so far, no doubt it's the fact Bachmann have changed the item number from 374-062C to 374-055E

when you may expect to see 374-062D and are presently failing to show an image on their website of this forthcoming product

does make for a little confusion. ???

john 

Well, I don't have anymore time right now I'm leaving for work.  I just did a side by side comparison with 374-062C
and 374-055D on hattons website. They take multiple photo's.  You guys are correct about the region (E vs W) in the number.

I did however notice the quality between the two were different. It almost looks like the 374-055D is not blue ribband where
the 374-062C is.   

Interesting.

Jamie

MJKERR

The difference should be :

374-062C
Commonwealth bogies

374-055E
B1 bogies

GroupC

You're right, 47033, the "original" 374-055 is not blue riband but 062 is. In my opinion the blue riband ones are far better and all of my Mk 1's are this newer variant and look superb. Farish seem to have got their catalogue numbers a bit mixed up cos 055E would normally be a renumbered reissue of the older 055, but I can't see them issuing a non-blue riband model, so it does seem like it'll be blue riband.

It's always worth taking a closer look at photos of the actual model when buying though, to double check that any new additions you get match the ones you already have - a mixture of old and new models really stands out I feel. I've nearly been "caught out" a few times.

scruff

I think Farish screwed up the catalogue numbers.. 374-055/055A/055B/055C/055D are flush printed side coaches which are now discontinued.
Farish have released Mk1 SK in Blue/Grey as 374-062/062A/062B and the next release "should" be 374-062C Which Farish have described as 374-055E in the catalogue. There are a few other errors in there as well..

Cheers
Mark

talisman56

Quote from: scruff on October 21, 2015, 06:22:46 PM
I think Farish screwed up the catalogue numbers.. 374-055/055A/055B/055C/055D are flush printed side coaches which are now discontinued.
Farish have released Mk1 SK in Blue/Grey as 374-062/062A/062B and the next release "should" be 374-062C Which Farish have described as 374-055E in the catalogue. There are a few other errors in there as well..

Cheers
Mark

There's a similar error with the BR(S) Green SK announced earlier this year. The 'new' one is cat 374-051D when the next Blue Riband version should be 374-063C...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Jonner

I would of thought that the forthcoming coach will be the blue riband type but this time fitted with as mjkerr pointed out the B1 bogies

and with no official image on the bachmann website, retailers may have just used an older one. This theory may also apply to other coaches in different liveries.

John.

Mark,

I hope you are right. What you have said does make sense and I think I will contact Farish for clarification.

Having said that I believe not too long ago I did see a catalogue item for 374-062C which has since disappeared. That would fall inline with your theory about
the 374-055E taking it's place.

Jamie

Newportnobby

Quote from: 47033 on October 22, 2015, 09:16:37 AM

Having said that I believe not too long ago I did see a catalogue item for 374-062C which has since disappeared. That would fall inline with your theory about
the 374-055E taking it's place.

Jamie

374-062C did, indeed, appear in the 2013/14 Farish catalogue

davidinyork

With all Farish models if the number is the same but the letter at the end different this indicates the same model just with a different number. The only exception I can think of is the 47s, where the first batch had too big a gap between the bogie and body, and the next (and subsequent) batches had the design changed slightly to correct this (but had the same item number just with a different letter, and of course different running number).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations