How many locos do you own?

Started by petejones, August 02, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invicta Alec

Quote from: Train Waiting on April 13, 2020, 08:52:34 AM
Quote from: Invicta Alec on April 12, 2020, 11:32:02 PM
You see folks I only own 15 dmus/emus and 3 diesel/hydraulic locos. Poor old me  :worried:
Alec.

No wonder you're worried, Alec.  I think that you urgently require some lovely steam locomotives to work lots of fantastic 'Pullman Dining' excursions. 
John

I do keep on prevaricating don't I? I bought one once it was a WD Austerity 2-8-0. It held my fascination for about five minutes. I sold it very quickly.
A little later I fell for the looks of the Class A1 Tornado in a gorgeous blue. My finger hovered over the "buy it now" button many a time but I never did.
Then during a visit to Nick's @ntpntpntp I was taken by a lovely little pannier tank.  :worried:

So I'm bouncing back and forth and making no decisions at all. Leave me to ponder for a bit longer  :D

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Fenrisian

Quote from: daffy on April 13, 2020, 10:53:16 AM
I've got enough.

Well, actually, the exact quote is:

"You've got enough!"

That's what she said.

I'm trying very hard to ignore it. :D

A yes I was once married to the "fun prevention officer" I am sure yours isn't as bad as that. :-)
Pete

daffy

Quote from: Fenrisian on April 13, 2020, 12:25:53 PM
Quote from: daffy on April 13, 2020, 10:53:16 AM
I've got enough.

Well, actually, the exact quote is:

"You've got enough!"

That's what she said.

I'm trying very hard to ignore it. :D

A yes I was once married to the "fun prevention officer" I am sure yours isn't as bad as that. :-)

She and I actually have a good understanding, and are, essentially, on the same wave length. When I buy a new railway related item, or she buys a new lot of stuff to fulfill her passion for all things needlecraft, we will each invariably say the same thing:

"What do you need that for?"  :hmmm:

After a short silence we go about our lives together, each one thinking about, or looking for, the next 'essential' purchase. :D

It's the secret of marital happiness. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

I am quite fortunate with Louisa in that she does not mind what I spend on railway 'stuff' - with two provisos, i) the bills get paid on time and ii) she can download a couple of games on her laptop once or twice a month. (I usually wait until I get a 'BOGOF' email and say, "do you want a couple more games?").  ;) :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Paddy

Quote from: monkey_brains on April 12, 2020, 08:42:53 PM
Quote from: jpendle on April 12, 2020, 08:21:36 PM
I have somewhere between not enough and too many  :D

I was getting to the wrong end of that equation, so i've made a gesture to restoring the balance

2 items are on eBay

We won't mention how many i'm bidding on  :smiley-laughing:

My high water mark was 99 - now down to 51 although I just ordered a new loco from Colin in the IoM.  :-[

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

ntpntpntp

@Paddy   sorry, I just don't understand how the number of locos can go down - is this the mysterious concept called "selling" ?  :D    You can't have loved them very much in the first place if you're prepared to get rid of them!  :no:

To be fair, I did once have a bit of a sell-off back in the early 80s when I changed from British to Continental.  Never regretted the change to far better running qualities and detail (at the time), though I do now seem to have a crate of British models amassed, replacing some of the ones I sold off  :)  Perhaps I'll DCC some of them so they can have some running time on @Invicta Alec 's line one day!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Paddy

Hi @ntpntpntp

It just got to the point where I was buying locos (and stock) for the sake of it.  Every model that came out looked so good but when I hit 99 a decision had to be taken - do I breach the mythical 100 barrier?

Like a lot of people, my layout covers roughly 1948 to 1968 and all regions and hence this means you can almost buy anything!  I even have a Dapol Class 50 in BR blue.  :-[

There were also multiple versions of the same class in the fleet which also felt rather excessive.  I still have my four Minitrix Britannia's which I love but I do regret selling my Minitrix black 9F and Evening Star.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on April 13, 2020, 12:55:36 PM
I usually wait until I get a 'BOGOF' email

@dannyboy

Are you sure those mails don't come from Louisa?

Pssst - Where Eagles Dare is on telly early this evening.

dannyboy

@Newportnobby
Just read the above to Louisa - she said "who me?" and "my favourite", but I think she was referring to the film, not you! ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2020, 10:27:27 AM
Quote from: Platy767 on April 13, 2020, 06:25:53 AM
Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2020, 04:43:08 AM
27, all British outline, except for the blow-in from Tokyo  ;D

Yes, mine too. All British except for the local CPH railmotor ring in.
(Can't seem to post a photo of it to the forum at the moment)

Ok. Photo uploads now working

Aha! The old red rattler (except it's not red yet)! I used to go to work in one of those, 1974-75!!  :beers:

A little work on the CPH and it is now transporting passengers.

I changed the chassis from the 4.5V  Tsugawa Yokou TU-KIHA 40000 to a cut down Modemo unit, which is much smoother.

This completes my 3 long outstanding whitemetal kits (PECO Hymek, Langley Sentinel Railcar and this NTrains CPH) that I wanted to get done by Christmas this year.
Mark

Bealman

Very nice job! :thumbsup:

Certainly brings back memories of when this wetnose pommy teacher began working in NSW!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

I have only half the amount of locos that I would like .
But twice as many as I really need .
Some will have to go next year if we get to any exhibitions .
But now I can get to the cupboard they are in they will all get a turn at running on the layout next year when the weather warms up During the year HAILSTONE and myself serviced all the locos and replaced all the split gears that we found and there were quite a lot .The shed is insulated but its still very cold and
I cant afford the gas bottles for the fires, I only put them on if I have visitors .
Bob Tidbury

GAD

Erm! Wellll.......
Including three powered works vans, to enable cranes to move sans locos...........

316 😱 plus 4 on pre-order including my second Hunslet.

Bigmac

60 +

started n gauge again 4 years ago, after a long hiatus ( first started 50+ years ago ).

not bought many this year.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

RBTKraisee

Starting slowly with just 5 loco's in my possession right now:   Three Pacific's, a Hall and a Class 33.

A B17 is in transit from Blighty to Florida at present and I'm really hoping my better half might be getting me a Tomix JR 500 Shinkansen for Xmas :)

I am also making my own re-shells to get a County, an N15 King Arthur and an APT-P at present too!   Do they count?

I think I'm gonna need a layout sometime soon...  :doh:

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations