Decoderpro - files backup

Started by Bigric, August 23, 2014, 11:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigric

Need some advice here please !! Have been using Decoderpro successfully for over about 2 years now for CV setting & furtling  BUT have never backed up any of the files on there......which is beginning to worry me , as there a LOT of loco details on there . At the moment I am having a concerted drive to back up all important files on my laptop & ageing  desktop to a separate hard drive .
                 Would be VERY grateful if people could advise me on exactly which C:/Program Files (x86) to copy on to the hard drive . There are quite a few different program files listed on there , including one really big one (jmri .....10,780 KB) & I don't use Panelpro at all .
                 Plainspeak/non computer techno jargon would be MUCH appreciated . I ALWAYS need an Idiot's Guide for things !! Thanks a lot , Ric

DCCDave

I's also suggest you back up from the program, bacause the precise location the files are held in depends on your version of Windows.
I'm using Windows 7 and the JMRI data folder is at <username>/JMRI. You need to copy the roster.xml file (and I suggest roster.xml.bak) as well as the entire roster folder

Cheers
Dave

Bigric

Only Me - thanks , tried unsuccessfully before to find the 'backup option' you mention on the Decoderpro  program , that's why I did the posting on here .Told you...I need an Idiot's Guide !! Ric

trainsdownunder

Backing up is achieved by "exporting" the roster file under the File Menu.

see link http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/apps/DecoderPro/Roster.shtml

I tend to save the whole lot every-time I add a new loco as well as "exporting" that individual entry. Probably a bit excessive doing both but then .........

Caz

I do the same TDU as by also exporting the individual entries it gives me another way of duplicating some settings if I have an identical loco as it gives me a base for starting to tweak by importing the file into a loco.  I know you can duplicate a roster entry but I find it more convenient sometimes to just import a single xml file into the loco I already have open.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16%