A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

Dawlish Warren has short platforms (nowadays) and IETs stop there. When you get past the end of the platform a number of signs have been planted saying "Do not alight here".
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Trainfish

Quote from: Chris Morris on May 16, 2023, 12:04:34 PM
Dawlish Warren has short platforms (nowadays) and IETs stop there. When you get past the end of the platform a number of signs have been planted saying "Do not alight here".

Oh, I thought those signs were to dissuade people from smoking.

I appreciate what you will say regarding long trains and stopping on point work, but I really don't want to go down that route with my layout, as I will no doubt throw a point while the train is on it and cause a derailment and we don't like derailments do we?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Skyline2uk

QuoteI appreciate what you will say regarding long trains and stopping on point work, but I really don't want to go down that route with my layout, as I will no doubt throw a point while the train is on it and cause a derailment and we don't like derailments do we?

Having witnessed the consequences of a set of points moving "underneath" an ARC train when it was passing an "ICE" on a certain @Mirrlees Kato setup, I would agree with your logic John  :-\

Moving back on topic; as Mr Kato alluded to me at TINGS, it's great to see him continuing with U.K. outline. Even if in the short term it's a new variation on existing products, it's still encouraging.

Skyline2uk

AdrianC

Mr Kato could take my money now if he did a TPE liveried one  :thumbsup:
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

paulbeckwith

hi  john

re  extending  your  layout ...  do  you  live  in  a  semi  and  do  you  get  on  with  your  neighbors  ????? knock  thru  ...  only  joking

paul

GlenEglise

Quote from: Ben A on May 15, 2023, 11:24:26 PM

Hi all,

During Hiroshi Kato's talk on both days he confirmed that Kato have tooled up the additional coaches to create a 9-car Class 800 and he expected these models to be here by Spring 2024.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, I am left wondering if this will be an "add-on" pack of coaches or a complete nine car set?

Do you have any information on that?

Kind regards,

GE

Trainfish

Quote from: paulbeckwith on May 16, 2023, 02:59:45 PM

hi  john

re  extending  your  layout ...  do  you  live  in  a  semi  and  do  you  get  on  with  your  neighbors  ????? knock  thru  ...  only  joking

paul

You may or may not be surprised to hear that I did mention this to my neighbour a few years ago. I don't think she thought I was serious  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Adam1701D

Quote from: GlenEglise on May 16, 2023, 10:08:45 PM

Hi all,

During Hiroshi Kato's talk on both days he confirmed that Kato have tooled up the additional coaches to create a 9-car Class 800 and he expected these models to be here by Spring 2024.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, I am left wondering if this will be an "add-on" pack of coaches or a complete nine car set?

Kind regards,

GE

The 5 and 9 car sets are in different number series, so it would make sense to do the 9-cars as one complete rake.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

geoffc

The GWR model already produced by Kato is a Class 800, the GWR 9 car units are 800/3 and 802/1. The 9 car sets run with different types of coaches e.g. TPS & TP2 also the main visual difference is the door surrounds, white on the 800 and body colour on the 800/3 and 802/1. Therefore a re-run of existing 800 coaches to make a 9 car set will be wrong, it needs to be a new 800/3 set entirely.

Geoff

paulbeckwith

i  feel  a  2nd  mortgage   coming  on  ?????

paul

GlenEglise

Quote from: captainelectra on May 17, 2023, 09:09:09 AM
Quote from: GlenEglise on May 16, 2023, 10:08:45 PM

Hi all,

cheers

Ben A.

Kind regards,

GE

The 5 and 9 car sets are in different number series, so it would make sense to do the 9-cars as one complete rake.

I guess I was wrong in shelling out for a five car set in that case......

CAVEAT EMPTOR

or whatever.

Kris

Quote from: paulbeckwith on May 17, 2023, 05:47:07 PM

i  feel  a  2nd  mortgage   coming  on  ?????

paul

The 5 coach versions are very competitively priced. I see no reason why a 9 coach set would not also be priced in the same way.

gc4946

A 9-car 8XX unit will be far too long for my layout.
I hope Kato also announces 5-car sets in Transpennine Express livery  :claphappy:
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

jpendle

Quote from: gc4946 on May 17, 2023, 08:53:38 PM
A 9-car 8XX unit will be far too long for my layout.
I hope Kato also announces 5-car sets in Transpennine Express livery  :claphappy:

So do I, I think. Because who knows what units will be running and what colour they'll be, now that TPE has lost the franchise.
And I think the TPE 802/2 units have detail differences compared to the LNER and GWR CL802's

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Chris Morris

I'm happy. My longest storage siding will take 2x5 car 800s. I do like seeing the 2x5 running and I am sure a 1x9 would look equally impressive. And as alluded to above, the chances are that it will be relatively affordable.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations