Forum Issues

Started by Tank, July 19, 2023, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

When I travel I use a forum called TravelArk to effectively give the family and friends "postcards" from wherever we are, and it resizes the photos as I upload them. This may be an option for the forum to get over this issue.

Bealman

I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting. If I does all that stuff automatically, the software that performs it could indeed be beneficial to the forum.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

have a look at v2.travelark.org
whilst it is "free" they do ask for a $50 per year donation to keep it going
cheers
Graham

Trainfish

Quote from: Ed on September 02, 2023, 04:30:22 PMTo save space I always resize my pictures to 1500 pixels width as it usually reduces the file size from around 3 to 4 Mb to about 800Kb, and doesn't affect the quality when posting on a forum.

Ed

That's exactly what I do, 1500 pixels on the longest edge. Most are around 350kb when resized. My pictures always show up in decent quality although some of the content is maybe not so attractive at times.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

NGFTech

For the notifications I have adjusted a few default settings that you can adjust under your own personal settings.

For image uploads to the gallery it should resize it to the limit unless we are talking about uploading somewhere else?

Newportnobby

Quote from: NGFTech on September 04, 2023, 11:55:00 PMFor the notifications I have adjusted a few default settings that you can adjust under your own personal settings.

For image uploads to the gallery it should resize it to the limit unless we are talking about uploading somewhere else?

It just gives a message to the effect images are limited to 1000000 and won't upload :no:

Papyrus

Quote from: Train Waiting on September 02, 2023, 05:02:44 PMWhilst I accept the picturinghams on my Poppingham thread set a Forum-best for awfulness, this is a consequence of my coarse modelling coupled to my dreadful photography and is not a result of my reducing them in size.

You are too hard on yourself, John. Your photos, and your modelling, are perfectly fine. Long may your Poppingham thread entertain us all.

Regarding Mick @Newportnobby 's problem, when I take a photo on my phone I email it to myself. My email program (MS Outlook) asks me if I want to reduce the image size. Doing so always brings the image size to well under 1Mb and eliminates the need for any fancy editing.

Cheers,

Chris

NGFTech

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 05, 2023, 01:02:56 AMIt just gives a message to the effect images are limited to 1000000 and won't upload :no:
That might be a global limit. I will need to ask the boss if he wants to increase it.

Ed

Just out of interest, is anyone else getting this message

Ed

NGFTech

I am getting the notifications but do note that I have my settings for this topic set to receive Email not just alerts.

Ed

Apologies, I meant the "It just gives a message to the effect images are limited to 1000000 and won't upload", message.

Ed

Newportnobby

Quote from: Papyrus on September 05, 2023, 12:29:01 PMRegarding Mick @Newportnobby 's problem, when I take a photo on my phone I email it to myself. My email program (MS Outlook) asks me if I want to reduce the image size. Doing so always brings the image size to well under 1Mb and eliminates the need for any fancy editing.

Chris - sorry but I'm of the opinion a phone is for phone calls and texts and my camera is for photographs. Yes, it's an outdated philosophy but my camera will always take better pics than my phone.
What I won't put up with is my laptop telling me something is below 1MB and the forum telling me otherwise.
I really don't care which one is right, but am too old for so much 'faff'

Train Waiting

@NGFTech thank you very much for showing how to receive notifications.  I hadn't realised this was the new system and your helpful post is much appreciated.

@Papyrus Thank you so much.  You remarks are very kind.

With all best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Dorsetmike

I'm still using Picture Publisher v10 which dates from 2002, it's a free download from a few sites, however it won't run on versions of Windows after XP, so I use an XP emulator.
It has plenty of tools for editing images, cropping, resizing, adjusting brightness and contrast, also adjusting colour and cloning out unwanted bits.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

NGFTech

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 05, 2023, 06:06:57 PMI'm still using Picture Publisher v10 which dates from 2002,
@Dorsetmike Best graphics publisher ever! Still use it! Yes, it can run on Win XP and Win 10, which is what I use, no need for emulation. You need to change the properties to run for the earlier version of Win XP service pack 2.

For everyone else thanks for your feedback.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations