Spelling

Started by Caz, January 10, 2013, 06:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainsdownunder

My son in law is dyslexic and I understand the problem. Spell checkers are all very well but no good if you have no idea in the first place.

As for using a dictionary.. well that assumes you have some idea of what letters a word might start with.

Newportnobby

Quote from: jonclox on January 15, 2013, 09:25:55 AM

Anyway its nice to see that Newport has stood up for us 'challenged ones'  :claphappy:

It was only by dropping a rather large clanger on this very forum that I have learned not to judge :-[
Since that episode I will not, and cannot, criticize spelling or grammar except where it is obvious someone is using a mobile phone and their thumbs are large and number ten :D
What is in my mind should not necessarily be typed :worried:

Agrippa

Remember the old tale about the foreign student here to
learn English who was looking at theatrical reviews in the
papers and read "Hamlet pronounced success!", he packed up
and went home.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Plainline.

I used to work for a sign company. We had a small sign in reception saying ****** signs. After about 10 years someone noticed that it actually read ****** sings! Which suggests the point that the brain only needs the first and last letters in the right place and reads what it expects the word to be. For the record the wrongly spelled sign was an exception, I never knew of any signs returned for incorrect spelling! :)

EtchedPixels

One of our sign companies has a cheaper service and a proof and checking service. I'm sure they do the cheap one on the basis they'll get lots of orders for corrected signs and make even more

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Trainfish

While I appreciate that dyslexia does exist I also think it's over used as an excuse. I certainly wouldn't judge someone from what they type here but a friend of mine claims dyslexia but the truth of the matter is that he doesn't actually care that he has spelled something wrong so carries on spelling it incorrectly even after being told about it. That to me is NOT dyslexia, it's laziness and a couldn't care less attitude.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Joe 90

..........And don't get me started on the misuse of the apostrophe.................. >:( ;D

MikeDunn

I cant think of what your'e on about  ???

Joe 90

Grrrrrrr............. ;)

thos

Which reminds me of the classic:

Question:  What English word with five letters is pronounced 'fish'

Answer:  Ghoti.

gh, pronounced /f/ as in tough /tʌf/;
o, pronounced /ɪ/ as in women /ˈwɪmɪn/; and
ti, pronounced /ʃ/ as in nation /ˈneɪʃən/.

It could also be silent:
gh as in though (/ðoʊ/) ;
o as in people (/'pi pl/) ;
t as in ballet (/'bæleɪ/) ;
i as in business (/'bɪznəs/)

I also refer those who do not know it to 'The Chaos' by Gerard Nolst Terenité http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j17/caos.php

moogle

Quote from: Joe 90 on January 18, 2013, 10:30:29 AM
..........And don't get me started on the misuse of the apostrophe.................. >:( ;D

Wasn't that the Greek cafe down the high street?  ;)
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

trainsdownunder

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations