New 'Thruppenny Bits' - not rhyming slang!

Started by steam-driven boy, March 18, 2015, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steam-driven boy

Hi,
News of the design selected for the new £1 coin, reverse side:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31938400
15 year old from Walsall 'won', merited a 'phone call from George Osborne (that'll teach him  :-X ).
The old 3d design withdrawn in 1971, so the new one must be worth about the same taking inflation into account  :D

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

petercharlesfagg

Brilliant design, let's hope that it means the recall of all those duff £1 coins that will not register in parking meters etc!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Trainfish

Where I live we need a 55p coin for the parking ticket machines. I'm sure the council deliberately made it 55p knowing that most people wouldn't have that and use a £1 coin to cover it. I do of course now have little stacks of 1x 50p and 1x 5p by the front door  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on March 18, 2015, 11:26:17 AM
Where I live we need a 55p coin for the parking ticket machines. I'm sure the council deliberately made it 55p knowing that most people wouldn't have that and use a £1 coin to cover it. I do of course now have little stacks of 1x 50p and 1x 5p by the front door  :thumbsup:

Presumably £500 worth, John :-X

Papyrus

Where I live we need a 55p coin for the parking ticket machines.

55p!!  :goggleeyes: Count your blessings...

Nowhere around here is less than 80p for an hour, and Brighton is even worse. I make sure I'm never without the right change for the car park by keeping a large stash of coins tucked away in the car.

Getting back on topic, this household thinks the new coins are very handsome. That young feller has done an excellent job.

Chris

MikeDunn

From what I could see on the telly - isn't it just a near-copy of the old thre'penny bit ?

I propose we have a new 20p design & I claim use of the sixpence to copy it from !

Trainfish

Quote from: newportnobby on March 18, 2015, 11:41:28 AM

Presumably £500 worth, John :-X

Not now that I've just ordered a class 31 and another 37 Mick. Oh and a few other bits and pieces. Only about £200 left although I did add another £30 last night  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations