GWR push-pull

Started by BrakeCoach, February 06, 2017, 08:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

Hello,
I am getting a autocoach and a pannier tank, but I got to this question: Does a coach can fit in between the autocoach and the pannier? So that I get to extend the consist.
Is it realistic to commit this?

daveg

There's quite a bit of info if you Google 'push pull trains' that may help you.

There's also this on the Forum:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=3023.msg33201#msg33201

Dave G

Karhedron

It was not possible to add normal coaches between an auto coach and the locomotive because they did not have the mechanical linkages to allow the loco to be controlled from the cab of the auto coach. The GWR did convert a batch of non-corridor compartment coaches for use as intermediate trailers but these are not available RTR.

You could have multiple auto-coaches on either side of the loco. The maximum you could have on either side was 2 autocoaches so the maximum size of such a train would loco and 4 autocoaches. Such formations were quite common on the Plymouth - Saltash autotrains.

One occasion where you might get a mix auto-fitted and non-auto-fitted trains would be where a through coach could be coupled at the rear of an autotrain (so no linkages required). This would then be hauled to the junction station like regular tail traffic where it would be coupled to a through train on the mainline. This was not particularly common but  have seen a photo of the Mortonhampstead branch train which consisted of an autocoach leading, a 6400-class pannier in the middle and a collett brake composite at the rear which was a through-coach for Paddington.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bealman

That top color pic is a corker!!  :thumbsup:

Love the kids with their school satchels!!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations