Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

Quote from: class37025 on April 26, 2021, 01:04:41 PM
IIRC when I was at RAF Hospital Cosford back in the late 60's, as we were on a surgical ward we got a bottle of stout each evening, can't remember what it was though, but in my defence it was 50 odd years ago  :-[
Didn't get that in the late 70s in RAF Ely hospital..
Mind you when I joined the real RAF after training you were penalised on your assessments if you didn't go to the bar with everyone else. By the time I left you were penalised if you seen going to the bar a lot...

dannyboy

Quote from: dannyboy on April 27, 2021, 09:05:53 PM
get some of the trees that had grown up, at the rear of the house, in the 22 years we have lived here, cut down. I took a couple of photographs so I will let you see the 'before' and 'after' in a day or two. Hopefully the sun will now shine where the sun don't normally shine - the rear of my house.  :)

Here are a couple of photographs of the work, taking from roughly the same spot. The first is a 'during', you can just see the JCB in the distance.

And this is the 'after' photograph - and yes the sun does shine where it didn't before!

Now this is where this post should move to the 'Unhappy' thread. I fully expected to pay for the work done, but €600 !!  :o :'( Okay, I had use of the JCB and driver and Gerry's chainsaw for about eight hours, but flippin' 'eck. Still, it would have taken me a few weeks to do the job and I would not have been able to clear the land like it has been cleared. Good job I have already paid for and had delivered the stuff needed for the new layout.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Seems a reasonable price to me here in Blighty :hmmm:
Especially as they've straightened up the telegraph pole ;D

guest311

not too bad, after all, t'ree fellers at £200 each for 8 hours plus the big digger  :smiley-laughing:

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 30, 2021, 02:26:17 PM

Especially as they've straightened up the telegraph pole

That 'telegraph pole' is what brings the electrickery to my house. Gerry has just been up to collect his money and he did have another half an hour with his chain saw and cleared some of the hedging at the entrance to the garden, so, now I have got over the initial shock of parting with so much money in one go, I am quite pleased with how it all looks now.  :thumbsup:
David.

port perran

Looks good David and I agree with the others - seems a fair price to me.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Trainfish

I'm happy because several weeks ago I went to the cashpoint, put in my card, entered my PIN, requested £30, took my card back when prompted and walked away. Went around the corner to spend my £30 at the butcher wagon but found he wasn't there due to the wind. That's the weather which was windy, not the butcher. So off I go to the Shambles indoor market to see if he's been relieved of the wind by being moved there as others had but to no avail. I needed some sausages from the sausage man though so headed to him and thought I may as well use cash rather than the usual card method. It was only then I realised I hadn't retrieved my £30 from the cash machine  :doh:
I headed back to the cashpoint in the hope my cash was still there but it wasn't. It was still only 8:30am so the bank wasn't open. I decided to call them in India to report it. I then spoke to a policeman and subsequently reported it with them too in case someone had committed the offence of "theft by finding". This was all about 6 weeks ago.
So, why is this in the happy thread when I've lost £30?
This is why.
In theory the machine should take the cash back after 30 seconds if someone doesn't take it out. I also contacted the local CCTV monitoring guy who was brilliant. He confirmed what I was wearing at the time (definitely not for this forum and certainly no pictures) and said I definitely didn't take the cash and neither did anyone else. In total I made 1 call and 4 visits to the bank (once they had opened) over several weeks. On my final visit to the bank I told them I would close all 12 of my and my wife's accounts if it wasn't sorted within 48 hours. I also suggested there should be compensation not for my stupid error but for the fact they had done nothing when chased. Within 2 hours the £30 was back in my account. Within 24 hours there was £50 compensation in my account. £10 for each contact with the bank the manager told me.
That's why I'm happy. I'm £50 up through being an idiot. I may have to try it again in a few months or when I need a new loco  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

I'm happy again today as I'm having my second Covid jab! It was a complete co-incidence of course that I chose 2pm and that my local pub with large beer garden opens at the same time. And another complete co-incidence that my favourite barmaid Clare is working too and will have to bring me a beer. Or 2 depending on the weather!

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Malc

That barmaid's outfit is a great disguise, John.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Trainfish

I was hoping the rather distinctive pair of glasses would convince you it's not me but obviously not. I've been trying to find a picture of both Clare and I in it but I don't seem to have any. I'll let you make your own minds up if you haven't done so already  :'(
John

<*))))><

dannyboy

Yesterday was a day of 'ups and downs' but there were more 'ups' so here we are in the Happy thread. It all actually started on Monday night when I came to shut the computer down - it wouldn't. There was no taskbar or search box.  :worried:. Eventually after using the Ctr-Alt-Del combination, I could go to bed. Started the computer Tuesday morning - all was well until I opened my Opera browser. No taskbar again. After a couple of System Restores, I decided to try 'Edge' and everything worked.  :). So I did a few searches and tried some suggestions but nothing worked. I gave up after a couple of hours and went to play with test my birthday present, (for next week), from Louisa - the Hornby 'HM6000' controller. I will update another thread shortly, but in a nutshell, I am very impressed.  :thumbsup:. I then got a telephone call from 'Three', my broadband provider. The very nice young lady, (using my imagination there  ;)), said that she was going to offer me an upgrade for my system, (I presume it is all wi-fi as there are no cables coming to the house), but, as 5G was not available in my area, there was no point as I had the best equipment available for the signal. She said that they were hoping to get 5G to me before the end of the year, so, in the meantime, would I like a free month? I, as you do, said "Yes please"  :). She also said that if 5G was not available by the end of the year, they would give me another free month.  :thumbsup:. This takes us back to the computer. After a couple more hours of trying to rectify the problem last night, I came across the solution - press 'F11' - aaargh! Something so problematic/annoying/frustrating had taken a few hours to solve - and all it needed was a press of a button.  :-[
David.

emjaybee

Just had my 2nd Covid jab.

Woo-hoo!!!!!

Happy days.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bob G

Quote from: emjaybee on May 22, 2021, 01:04:12 PM
Just had my 2nd Covid jab.

Woo-hoo!!!!!

Happy days.

Me too, today at 2.30pm. So I'm just a few hours behind you, but trying very hard to catch you up :)

My wife had hers yesterday and asked if they could bump me up the queue. They said they had vaccines to use up, and lots of folk not coming for their appointments and so I got the call this afternoon, a week earlier than planned.

So very happy.

But it does mean, @emjaybee , that quite soon we will be able to hug @Newportnobby in complete safety  :goggleeyes:

There is always a downside to everything.

Bob

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on May 22, 2021, 04:42:56 PM

But it does mean, @emjaybee , that quite soon we will be able to hug @Newportnobby in complete safety  :goggleeyes:

There is always a downside to everything.

Bob

:sick2: :stop:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations