Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Quote from: Bealman on November 02, 2020, 08:58:17 AM
Good job it was in fresh air!

Won't tell you about the time I set fire to me hand in me lab  ;)
It can't have been as bad as a trainee chemistry teacher we had who was demonstrating electrolysis of water. He recombined the gasses by bubbling them through soapy water and lighting the bubbles with a gas jet. The jet was too high, the bubbles got too big, the cast iron mortar he was using exploded and sent shrapnel around the fume cupboard.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

emjaybee

We had a physics teacher who was a lovely fella, but not stunningly bright. He misread his instructions for an experiment, there was an almighty bang, the perspex shield between the experiment and us was shattered, he was blown backwards into a cupboard. The Tech came rushing in to see what had happened and pointed out that he needed to pay more attention to where the decimal point was in the instructions. I can't remember the details, but he'd used, I think, 250ml instead of 2.5ml.

After that the Tech's used to only issue him with the exact proportions for any experiments.

Lovely chap, we played him up dreadfully. Set light to the gas taps, burnt the register, etc.

I still have his 6" steel rule.  :-[

When I see him next I'll return it.  :sorrysign:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

joe cassidy

In my A level chemistry class the teacher blew up the fume cupboard one day and we were all showered with violet coloured glass (he was doing something with potassium permanganate).

Luckily my school was a duff school so there were only 4 of us doing A level chemistry.

Casualties were limited to holes in the tights of the only girl in the class.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 02, 2020, 01:00:54 PM
In my A level chemistry class the teacher blew up the fume cupboard one day and we were all showered with violet coloured glass (he was doing something with potassium permanganate).

Luckily my school was a duff school so there were only 4 of us doing A level chemistry.

And three eager first aiders

emjaybee

Quote from: Snowwolflair on November 02, 2020, 01:05:21 PM

And three eager first aiders

Not if she was like the girls in my school!

They were either savage or mooses!

They tried having a mixed girls/ boys hockey lesson. Absolute carnage. Started with the girls firing red-gra (that red gravel stuff) at your bare legs by miss hitting a ball, escalated to shin clipping by the girls which resulted in, perfectly justified, retaliation. Ended with two fractured shins, a broken wrist, and some dislocated fingers. Two ambulances called, two irate PE teachers, I mean seriously, how could they not see it coming, and a load of detentions all round.
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

I went to a mixed grammar school in Wolverton and the girls were definitely worse than St. Trinians.
As above, hockey was terrifying. I wonder why they never played mixed rugby as compensation :D
At breaks the girls would play 'splits' with compasses.

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 02, 2020, 04:18:28 PM

Why - did they not know which way they were facing?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Snowwolflair

You were unlucky ours were young ladies.

Trainfish

......................Casualties were limited to holes in the tights of the only girl in the class.

We had the same type of casualty in our class but there weren't any girls  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 02, 2020, 04:18:28 PM
I went to a mixed grammar school in Wolverton and the girls were definitely worse than St. Trinians.
As above, hockey was terrifying. I wonder why they never played mixed rugby as compensation :D

I've come across Wolverton girls.

{shudder}
Brookline build thread:

guest311

er, family forum  :-[  >:D  :smiley-laughing:

Skyline2uk

Ohh err....no idea where this thread has been heading, so allow me to steer it back to being happy...

As those of you who frequent the forum Facebook group may know, I currently have one of my all-time want-list items heading my way in the post.

For those of you who don't use Facebook, of course I will share a photo on arrival, although I strictly can't "play" until next month!

It's a genuinely happy moment for me in all the gloom.

Stay safe

Skyline2uk

Skyline2uk

Chuffed again!

So ref my recent purchase from eBay that wasn't quite right....well the seller went out of his way to arrange for the loco, 59101 to return to CJM (Chris himself) for a service / repair.

I have spoken to Chris myself, confirmed costs, received costs from seller and dispatched the loco.

This (fingers crossed) puts me better than I was to start with, with a freshly serviced CJM loco that I have been after for 10 years.

Fair play to seller (nice people on eBay exist!).

Skyline2uk

guest311

been trying for weeks to catch the RHTT train from Tonbridge West yard as it passes us, but in spite of checking it's time on realtimetrains, somehow the best I've managed so far is a glimpse through the tree from one field, HB was mouse hunting at the time, and hearing it pass the other side of hedges etc.
even waited one day for 15 minutes past it's due time, gave up, and as walking back across the last field to post HB's deposit in the bin, heard it go past the other side of the hedge in the cutting  :censored:

but today, all that changed...

coming back over the railway bridge with HB looked up towards Burgess Hill station and  ..

through the fog saw some headlights ..
but not like our usual slugs, could it be ?

a few moments later, and it was ... a VERY filthy cl 66, no chance of deciding what scheme, a couple of flats with tanks and modules, and an equally filthy 66 at the rear.  :claphappy:

needless to say HB was not happy standing around while I watched it [it's of course ok for me to stand around while he is hunting / investigating smells etc  :'( ] but that's [a huskies] life  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations