Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Quote from: MikeDunn on March 13, 2015, 09:27:20 PM
Given the alcohol laws in your neck of the sand - wouldn't you do that anyway ? !!!  :P

Oh Mike, I'm bound to secrecy on such matters!  :-X
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

MikeDunn

LOL, your secret's safe with us  :beers:

Newportnobby

Quote from: DesertHound on March 13, 2015, 08:43:29 PM
Quote from: Tdm on March 10, 2015, 07:00:22 PM
Well for once I am happy with what the Politicians are doing with the British economy - making the £Sterling strong again as today it hit a 7 year high against the Euro.#

Not quite sure that it's a case of strong Sterling. Look what it's doing against the dollar. More a case of very weak euro and "less weak" pound.

Dan

Just to back this up the M & S Bureau de Change today showed the following tourist (selling) rates:-
£1 = €1.37 and £1 = $1.46.

Tdm

Quote from: newportnobby on March 13, 2015, 09:43:19 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on March 13, 2015, 08:43:29 PM
Quote from: Tdm on March 10, 2015, 07:00:22 PM
Well for once I am happy with what the Politicians are doing with the British economy - making the £Sterling strong again as today it hit a 7 year high against the Euro.#
Not quite sure that it's a case of strong Sterling. Look what it's doing against the dollar. More a case of very weak euro and "less weak" pound.
Dan

Just to back this up the M & S Bureau de Change today showed the following tourist (selling) rates:-
£1 = €1.37 and £1 = $1.46.

Mick if you change your money in the Country you are visiting, rather than in the U.K. beforehand - you get a much better rate. For example on Wednesday I went to the local Travel Shop near us in Los Cristianos and got €1.395 to the £ which at the time was 02.5 cents below the advertised "commercial" rate of €1.42.

When paying for a meal out I usually use my Nationwide Credit Card as then you get the full commercial rate as apposed to tourist rate.
Nationwide don't make any charges for use of the card abroad, unlike a lot of Credit Card companies, and they know I have only a Tenerife home address.

Newportnobby

I was just citing the rates as an example, Terry.
I don't have a passport and have no intention of travelling abroad unless someone pays for me to go anything other than cattle class :no:

Tank

I bought this tasty looking bandsaw for £115.  :drool: Normally they sell for about £350 secondhand, or £800 new.

DesertHound

Quote from: Tank on March 14, 2015, 12:22:50 PM
I bought this tasty looking bandsaw for £115.  :drool: Normally they sell for about £350 secondhand, or £800 new.

I think I'd rather keep my second hand than pay GBP350 Tank  ;D

GBP115's none too shabby mind!
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Malc

You are better off buying a two wheel one like that, rather than a cheap 3 wheeler, Chris. They last longer and don't go snap blades as easily. This is speaking from the experience of buying a cheep Newtool one first.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tank

Thanks Malc.  I read a few reviews about this one, and it seemed to be just what I needed.  I wonder why the 3 wheeled ones snap the blades?  More friction?

Newportnobby

:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:
Are you sawing up your good lady wife's drawers? :o

Trainfish

Quote from: Tank on March 14, 2015, 01:34:53 PM
Thanks Malc.  I read a few reviews about this one, and it seemed to be just what I needed.

You mean it's yellow and black and says DeWalt on the side  :)
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tank

Quote from: newportnobby on March 14, 2015, 02:43:54 PM
:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:
Are you sawing up your good lady wife's drawers? :o

I beg your pardon?!?   :-X   ;D

Quote from: Trainfish on March 14, 2015, 02:53:40 PM
Thanks Malc.  I read a few reviews about this one, and it seemed to be just what I needed.

You mean it's yellow and black and says DeWalt on the side  :)

I honestly hadn't noticed! :P ;D

Malc

Thanks Malc.  I read a few reviews about this one, and it seemed to be just what I needed.  I wonder why the 3 wheeled ones snap the blades?  More friction?
The 3 wheel ones have smaller diameter wheels and therefore the saw blades get more stressed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Heck, I wouldn't trust meself with that. I'd be minus a few fingers in no time   :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DesertHound

Quote from: Bealman on March 14, 2015, 09:05:07 PM
Heck, I wouldn't trust meself with that. I'd be minus a few fingers in no time   :uneasy:

That's why I said I'd like to keep my "second hand" George. Get it? .... okay, okay, I'm heading for the door ...  :whiteflag:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations