The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

First topic I have read this morning after logging in and after reading through the posts I have learned quite a bit, what an excellent start to the day.

Thank you my friends for the enlightenment  :)

cheers John.

1936ace

Quote from: longbridge on December 30, 2012, 08:43:19 PM
Just a we bit upset about electricity companies here in Oz, our electricity bills have almost doubled over the past 12 to 18 months, we had a very hot day 38C last week and the electricity companies had the audacity to tell us that due to the high demand for power there may be some areas blacked out.

I really would like to know what they do with the money they have been ripping out of us for the past few years.

Yes it is certainly a joke. My bill for the last three months months was just over $600 for power and gas which was ok I thought considering we have two homes on our property and have pool and spa but I got back around $320 in solar regen so it was not too bad in the end.
Still a complete rip off
Bart

Pengi

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 04, 2013, 09:54:38 AM
No - Japanese T is 1:450, European T is generally 1:480 so as to have a correct track gauge.

Japanese N is a real hack job anyway - they should be running on Z track.

They should have used 1:160 for the  UK. The rest of the world managed fine but we have another typical British botch job and one that is going to get *very* annoying as the same stock begins to routinely crisscross Europe.

Alan

I didn't know that about T gauge but look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3qy4fcyTx8&feature=em-uploademail

It is hard to believe it is T (although the rear lights are a bit bright) - in the angry thread because I'd like one but definitely cannot afford it.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EtchedPixels

It is T - its been promised for sale forever but still afaik isn't released.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

daveg

Not sure who I'm more cross with:
Daft drivers who totally ignore the motorway hazard speed indicators – e.g. the old fashioned square ones on the M2 – or the folk who forget to switch them off once the 'hazard' has been cleared.  :veryangry:

Dave G

Kipper

I drove round the M25 just before Christmas, in the pouring rain with loads of spray, and the speed limit showed 40, which I kept to, but I was the slowest car out that evening. Do all the locals know which cameras have film in them?

daveg

Quote from: Kipper on January 04, 2013, 08:20:40 PM
I drove round the M25 just before Christmas, in the pouring rain with loads of spray, and the speed limit showed 40, which I kept to, but I was the slowest car out that evening. Do all the locals know which cameras have film in them?

I don't think they are film based anymore. Believe they are mostly digital with remote downlaod abilities. I'm sure someone can confirm or correct me on this.

Dave G

Trainfish

They've been digital for around 4 years now on the M25. There are also plenty of average speed cameras. I do apologise, as the police will tell you, they're NOT speed cameras, they're safety cameras.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Skyline2uk

The topic of digital motorway signs and variable speed limits is one that confuses and annoys me.

Firstly nobody ever seems to pay them any attention, or if people do (mainly on certain parts on the M25 and M6 where the threat of speed cameras linked to them exists), it seems to be the lower speed limit itself causing the traffic.

Secondly, the ones that delivery messages as well as lower speed limits (the M4 is good for this). The only time anything ever said on these seems to link to reality is when

a) There is an obvious traffic jam 400 yards or so ahead
b) There is a bit of fog (and then all that happens if people put on their fog lights and leave them on for the rest of time).

The occasion that sticks in my mind is one drive from London to Bristol not too long ago. I was suddenly presented with a flashing sign saying:

"20 MPH Oncoming Traffic"  :confused1:

The next 10 or so signs said the same thing. I was quite concerned, but appeared to be the only person backing off even slightly. Mile after mile I was waiting for a mad man coming at me on the wrong side of the motorway. Nothing.

Now, surely this is a really dangerous situation? Crying wolf in the extreme?! One day something bad will happen on a motorway because people ignore a warning they have seen twenty times before where it proved false, only for one occasion it to be real.

???

guest311

they recently put message signs, which of course involved long delaying roadworks and lane closures, on the A23 as you approach Brighton. best I've seen so far was to advise delays on A27 after the A3, ie at Havant, but nothing about either the accident collision about half a mile down the A23, or the one about a mile along the A27 towards Havant, which is about 45 miles from Brighton !

Trainfish

I was on the A27 last weekend heading Eastbound and the signs kept saying "Delays after A26 junction". Not a lot of use to me as I had no idea where the A26 was! I went as far as Lewes and saw no delays so I guess the A26 was further on. Surely it would be better to say "Delays 10 miles ahead" or whatever. I can then look at my satnav and if it says more than 10 miles before I turn off then I turn off early to avoid the delays.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

daveg

As a fairly frequent user of the M25 and now based in Sevenoaks - I spent 5 months driving between Watford and Sevenoaks each day - I use the Traffic England website in an attempt to avoid problems. http://www.trafficengland.co.uk/index.aspx?ct=true

The site is useful as a check for major problems just before a journey and there is a page where you can add comments re the motorway info.

Agree with TF that if the hazard warnings were more focused on their location it would help but suspect they aren't that 'clever'. Having said that, they can and do say stuff like "queue after junction".

Stay safe wherever you go!

Dave G

Newportnobby

I've lost count of the times I have seen the matrix signs stating "FOG" when you can actually see for miles on a bright sunny day :confused1:

Recently there have been a lot of them stating "Salt spreading".
Have I ever seen it being done? :no:

Trainfish

Quote from: newportnobby on January 05, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

This usually happens to me when I'm eating my lunch while driving. It's not easy to eat a bag of crisps without that happening! Usually all over my new, clean trousers  :'(
John

<*))))><

jonclox

Quote from: Trainfish on January 05, 2013, 03:53:13 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on January 05, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

This usually happens to me when I'm eating my lunch while driving. It's not easy to eat a bag of crisps without that happening! Usually all over my new, clean trousers  :'(
To make life a bit easier put the mug of coffeee down 1st  :angel:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP