Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: crewearpley40 on January 31, 2022, 04:35:53 PM
Hope you have found those countersunk  screws Mick

See my post preceding yours, Chris

Trainfish

Quote from: Trainfish on January 30, 2022, 01:21:18 PM
Not hugely unhappy but a little annoyed with the Post Office. They put a card through the door on Friday to say I have a small package  :goggleeyes: and the sender has underpaid the postage. Not a huge problem except that I now have to go to the delivery office, pay 80p to park to collect it and then £1.50 to retrieve it. It may be that I don't want it but I don't know that until I see where it has come from. Why can't they put something on the card they left to say where it is from. And another thing, they say they will keep it for I think 18 days or something and then send it back to the sender. If they're happy to incur their own costs to do that then on a small value item why does it cost me £1.50 to retrieve it when I'm saving them the cost of returning it? I don't even know what it is, where it's from or if I even want it  :hmmm:

An update to this. I went to the delivery office and asked to see this small package. It turns out it is an A5 sized envelope which won't fit through their 5mm 'letterbox' and only had a 1st class stamp on it. I asked how much it should cost to send it. I was told £1.29. How come then I asked you want to charge me £1.50. It's the rules etc etc was the response. So I asked what would happen to it if I didn't pay. They told me they would return it to the sender at no cost to them. The sender could then put the correct postage on and send it again  :hmmm:
So, they will now send it back at their cost and the sender will pay £1.29 to send it to me if they so choose. Whereas they could have asked for £1.29 from me and saved themselves the hassle of sending it 2 ways. Am I missing something here or does this not make sense?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on February 03, 2022, 12:40:38 AM
Am I missing something here or does this not make sense?

In this day and age it is pointless to think sense comes into anything.
In the name of 'progress' all sense went down the toilet ::)

thebrighton

An update to this. I went to the delivery office and asked to see this small package. It turns out it is an A5 sized envelope which won't fit through their 5mm 'letterbox' and only had a 1st class stamp on it. I asked how much it should cost to send it. I was told £1.29. How come then I asked you want to charge me £1.50. It's the rules etc etc was the response. So I asked what would happen to it if I didn't pay. They told me they would return it to the sender at no cost to them. The sender could then put the correct postage on and send it again  :hmmm:
So, they will now send it back at their cost and the sender will pay £1.29 to send it to me if they so choose. Whereas they could have asked for £1.29 from me and saved themselves the hassle of sending it 2 ways. Am I missing something here or does this not make sense?

This is a tricky one as where do you draw the line? During your parcels journey it has to be checked to ensure it has the correct postage, a system that costs and requires a docket to be drawn up and delivered to you. RM are a business and someone has to pay for it. Sometimes the sender isn't known but RM could just return all items straight back to the sender but that would delay you receiving it even more. If some business's knew they could just underpay and there was no penalty anywhere more would do it. As it is the recipient will normally get on the phone to the sender to get their money back but I do agree it is a bizarre process.

Jack

Am I missing something here or does this not make sense?

I'm beginning to think that "common sense" went the way of "military intelligence", into an oxymoron...   :worried: :( 
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

daffy

I understand  ;) the ERNIE people send out the £1,000,000 Premium Bond Monthly Prize in an unprepossessing A5 envelope these days. If it's returned to sender unopened it gets sent out again to the next person on their prizes list, which I think might be me! :claphappy:

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Trainfish

Quote from: thebrighton on February 03, 2022, 10:24:23 AM

This is a tricky one as where do you draw the line? During your parcels journey it has to be checked to ensure it has the correct postage, a system that costs and requires a docket to be drawn up and delivered to you. RM are a business and someone has to pay for it. Sometimes the sender isn't known but RM could just return all items straight back to the sender but that would delay you receiving it even more. If some business's knew they could just underpay and there was no penalty anywhere more would do it. As it is the recipient will normally get on the phone to the sender to get their money back but I do agree it is a bizarre process.

I agree to an extent but why couldn't they ask me for the £1.29 which it would cost the sender rather than incur costs themselves in sending it back etc? If they had done that I would have probably paid it.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Papyrus

Why don't cafés and restaurants sell proper coffee any more?

Until a few years ago, if you asked for a coffee you would be asked "Milk or cream, sir?" I like my coffee with a dash of cream, but if I ask for that now all I get is a blank look. Instead, you now have to make a choice from a list of American-style brews with pseudo-Italian names, which mostly seem to consist of a mug of frothy milk with a dash of coffee added to give it a bit of flavour. And why would you want to put flavoured syrup in it? That's not coffee!  :veryangry: The final straw came last week when a café in town was advertising 'spiced pumpkin latte'!  :sick2: :sick:

Why isn't there a coffee equivalent of Camra?

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Last time I was in M & S (admittedly pre Covid) you could still request, and get, cream for filter coffee. Now you're lucky to be asked if you want hot or cold milk. Being a coffeeholic, on the rare occasions I venture out I do appreciate a decent cup, especially as heart issues means I drink 100% decaff at home.
Sadly now they're just of bunch of baristas ;)

Bealman

A bunch of what?

Oh.... baristas  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

Quote from: Papyrus on February 13, 2022, 09:35:42 PM

Why isn't there a coffee equivalent of Camra?

Cheers,

Chris

There is here on Fakebook  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Papyrus

Ah, well, I don't subscribe to Faceache, which explains why I haven't seen it.

I think you are right about M&S, Mick. Our nearest one is in Crawley (12 miles, but we avoid Crawley like the plague) or Brighton (20 miles), but we haven't been in either for months.

Cheers,

Chris

dannyboy

I have today had to have the newest member of our household put to sleep. The fuller story can be seen here -

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=55746.msg751153#msg751153
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

so sorry to read your post. take care. alan

Webbo

Hi David

My condolences for the loss of your little cat. I know very well how distressing it is to lose a pet cat or dog. There lives are too short!

Best wishes
Webbo

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations