Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nbodger

Quote from: Bob G on September 09, 2021, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on September 09, 2021, 01:13:17 PM
Another thing to be wary of is paella.

I know. The Spanish get very touchy how you pronounce it. It is definitely not PIE-ELLA but PIE-AY-A (and not with a northern accent either)  :P

Wats tha mean lad

Trainfish

Quote from: port perran on September 09, 2021, 05:56:13 PM
My very first dentist when I was a little boy was called, and I kid you not, Mr Howley!

Along the same lines I had a locum GP when I broke 5 ribs. Then when my hemmor haemor emmaroids piles flared up again I asked to see him for those. I think the receptionist thought I was joking when I asked if I could see Dr Hole but that really was his name  :o
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob G

dannyboy

There must be a 'hole in one' joke somewhere.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

That would be par for the course  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

stevewalker

An Engineer rather than a Doctor, but back in the '90s, I had to keep phoning an Austrian Engineering company and asking for Herr Dumfart - apparently it's a common Austrian name.

I also had to regularly phone a London company and ask for Charlie Brown.

There was also a Richard Herring that none of us would call, as everyone around would chant "Red, red, red" and we knew that we'd say it eventually!

Platy767

This century, NSW parliament had a minister called Richard Face.

LASteve

Quote from: port perran on September 09, 2021, 05:56:13 PM
My very first dentist when I was a little boy was called, and I kid you not, Mr Howley!
My first dentist was a gentleman (I use the designation as a polite alternative to the real noun) in Leeds named Dr. Cotton.

He was at least 80 years old, and his drill was a foot-operated treadle machine that looked for all the world, and probably was, the same mechanism as me old mum's Singer sewing machine. His torture chamber surgery was actually overlooking the street on the ground floor, so you could see the pitied looks of passers-by as they gathered around the window to watch the fun.

You pretty much got strapped down in the chair while he drilled out your teeth and packed 'em full of lead, or whatever that toxic amalgam was. No anaesthetic.

When I hear people jibing about the state of a British person's teeth, I recount my experience of dentistry in the 1960's and I get shudders, looks of horror and a slow dawning of understanding.

Bealman

This weird.... I just picked me missus up from the dentist!

Two teeth out, but anaesthetic in the arm.

Things have changed somewhat! I'm currently in the chemist warehouse waiting to pick up the painkillers he gave her, though.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bad Raven

A very unhappy recent experience.  Both of us double COVID jabbed with second in June.

On a tour of the far north of Scotland and Orkney (visiting various preserved railways).

Train to Aberdeen from London, we had a dedicated 1st class coach. 39 people plus two tour managers

Couple of days in that area with road coach to railways and other public place visits.

Then ferry to Orkney.

Couple of days visiting places on the island "mainland" with same coach.

At evening meal wife could not eat her meal, one of her favourites. On return to room the due time after I made her do an FLT and she showed positive for COVID. Left it an hour and again, positive.

I went and found the main tour manager. He agreed that there had been people from day one sniffling and coughing, and he arranged to get everyone FLT tested.

It then became evident that many had NOT done or logged the prior to tour start test required, and we'd already commented that the tour manager was not doing temp tests as stated in the tour papers.

Despite being told to immediately isolate in rooms we were later told by the hotel manager that a number came down to public reception to ask how to DO the test, some TWICE despite being told to stay in room, and nearly all had to be provided with test kits.

8 of the 39 showed positive, 7 of which having a partner sharing room who at that time showed negative (inc me). It was pretty clear however that some if not most of the others were lying as to the "result".

The Tour was due to leave Orkney the following morning, and the decision was apparantly made for the "negative" couples, etc, to carry on. Both tour managers left with them. Scotland Health (SH) had been contacted and someone was coming 08:30 the following morning to do PCR tests.  They arrived three hours late, and despite being told 13 people, arrived with only seven kits. They came back a further three hours later to test the rest.

About three hours after testing, my wife received a mobile text stating she was Positive, followed ten minutes later by a text stating she was negative (!!!)  I received a text stating I had been in close contact and must isolate (which I already was). It did NOT state I was negative.

We learned over time in isolation that one person became so bad they had to be airlifted from Orkney to Aberdeen, as the (NEW!) hosptial on Orkney did not have the right ventilator eqpt.

Scotland Health caught up with the rest of the tour at Inverness (after two more visits by them en route to public places) and they were told to isolate at Inverness. We believe all ignored this instruction and decamped so left the tour there against instructions and made their own way home (by train or plane). One tour manager resigned and left against instruction from company and SH.  The coach driver was instructed by his company to ignore isolation and return the coach to depot.

Wife did have flu type symptoms, then two days after her start so did I, and I had a couple of days flat out, likely as my exposure to the virus was greater than hers.

Tour company got us home after isolation ended (with an overnight in Inverness), but it was now Bank Holiday weekend and the train from there was heaving, very unpleasant journey.  Despite COVID protocols we were told that the rail company could still sell more tickets than seats, and would not reserve us seats (as originally booked) as the limit for reserved seating had been filled. Nor would they transfer our booking. so the tour company had to pay for us again. Apparantly only one coach on the train was unreserved!

At Inverness a railway person was trying to stop us joining the train to get a seat while others not in our group wandered straight past him. After several people bypassed with no comment (or any ticket display) I took charge and told the group we were joining as he was not properly in control or being fair, so we did get seats.

After being told our Saga insurance would cover the extra hotel costs (£1600), they have now stated the costs were "not medical", which we are still fighting.

And THEN................

On the evening of the 30th now back at home in Kent my wife and I received mobile texts from SH stating, and I quote, "as you approach the end of your isolation period on 25th" (yes, five days late!!) and advising us to undertake vaccination.  One wonders what would have happened if we had turned up to do that, would they have overdosed us?  Seems likely!!

SO, let there be no doubt, all data output by NHS/Govt is seriously flawed, with the situation being most likely WORSE than stated.
Dave

daffy

Sadly Dave, your tale will have countless echoes across the entire world.

I do hope you and your wife achieve a full and lasting recovery.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Sadly the tale has all the elements of a Brian Rix farce (that shows my age somewhat :-[)
I'd put in a good word for Saga, except I'd be banned as a result.

dannyboy

That would be funny if it was not so ridiculous. As NPN says, worthy of a Brian Rix farce, (I remember them as well!).  Hopefully you are both improving and Saga do the right thing.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

talisman56

Going back to the apt names, when I was in Secondary School the head music teacher was Mr Treble. Those who know musical terms will understand where he got his nickname: 'Cleffy'...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Newportnobby

When I lived in Wolverton there was a coach company named Richard Sole & Sons. As the business developed he bought a couple of mini buses but there wasn't room on the back of them for the full name.
Unfortunately he shortened it to yes, you've guessed, R.Sole & Sons :doh:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations