Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus, JBQFC and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

stevewalker

Quote from: Trainfish on February 05, 2021, 02:56:46 PM
I know it's only a day late (if it goes to the correct town tomorrow morning) but I have paid for 48 hour service and that's what I should get shouldn't I?

Think yourself lucky. Just before Christmas we were thinking about buying another bookcase to match an existing pair that we bought years ago, but put it off for a couple of weeks as we were busy getting organised. During the first week in January, we decided it was time to order - only to find that they'd discontinued it over Christmas, could no longer deliver and could only offer local collection of clearance stock ... with the nearest being over 120 miles away!

Last week, I spotted one on Ebay, still in its packaging and bought it. It was due yesterday, but one of the two packages arrived on Tuesday and they appear to have lost the other one. It looks like our only choice is to throw out (or give away) two perfectly good bookcases and buy three matching new ones  :censored:

JBQFC

managed to come off my bike on some black ice tonight now got a very painful hip and left leg  :censored:

JBQFC

Quote from: JBQFC on February 07, 2021, 08:07:44 PM
managed to come off my bike on some black ice tonight now got a very painful hip and left leg  :censored:

woke up this morning in even more pain so phoned 111 got lots of good advice and a visit from a paramedic 10/10 for them they told me to phone my doctors to get some painkillers 2 calls later and promised call backs have not happened  :censored:

steve836

Quote from: JBQFC on February 08, 2021, 06:25:42 PM
Quote from: JBQFC on February 07, 2021, 08:07:44 PM

woke up this morning in even more pain so phoned 111 got lots of good advice and a visit from a paramedic 10/10 for them they told me to phone my doctors to get some painkillers 2 calls later and promised call backs have not happened  :censored:

Shame you don't live near me as I have some Codeine spare.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

NinOz

Grape vine is growing nicely along the fence with bunches of grapes forming.
My neighbour is convinced that his dog will be poisoned by a grape if the dog should eat one.  So will have to get out the stepladder (6foot solid fence) and trim back any parts of the vine on his side of the fence. :(
Why do people believe such rubbish posted on the internet? :'(

http://www.thedogplace.org/NUTRITION/Grapes-Poison-Dogs-Myth-09061-bja-nl.asp
Know people with grape vines and dogs (my father had a grape vine and dogs), no sign of any problem even for vineyard dogs.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

steve836

Quote from: NinOz on February 09, 2021, 09:45:26 AM
Grape vine is growing nicely along the fence with bunches of grapes forming.
My neighbour is convinced that his dog will be poisoned by a grape if the dog should eat one.  So will have to get out the stepladder (6foot solid fence) and trim back any parts of the vine on his side of the fence. :(
Why do people believe such rubbish posted on the internet? :'(

I wouldn't bother, just remind him he can prune any branches that grow over his side!

TrevL

Unfortunately, your neighbour is correct about the threat of poisoning his dog.  My friends Jack Russell died within the day of helping himself to grapes from the fruit bowl.  Raisins will do the same.  The vet couldn't help him.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Trainfish

Just found out tonight that I lost a good friend to COVID a few weeks ago. That's the trouble with this damned virus, you don't get to hear things. Al was a former work colleague, boss, occassional drinking buddy, lived about 75 yards down the road for years but moved 3 years ago to look after his then wife in a bungalow (she had motor neurone disease) in a nearby village. She died in June last year which was the last time I saw Al. I bumped into him at the Great Western Hospital car park in Swindon when he was visiting her in her final days. I'm absolutely gutted  :'(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

emjaybee

Tough break John. It's a very cruel world at the moment. My wife has lost three of her ex work friends to Covid.

Remember the good times.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

He was only 61. I am trying to remember the good times and there were many usually involving work or beer in both this country and others. The worst part right now is that I only found out today and as he lived 75 yards down the road the funeral cortege passed right past my house today. I never saw it as I didn't know about it. Seems COVID took him in less than 2 weeks in January. I will be the wrong person for someone not wearing a mask to get too close to me for quite a while. This is the 3rd person I've known and the hardest to take by a long way. I also know his brother Pete really well who I will contact tomorrow. I hate to think how he will be feeling as they were as close as brothers could ever be   :(

I hate this f*&$ing virus
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

emjaybee

Yeah, it sucks.

One of the wife's old colleagues was 38yr old bloke, with a 2yr old daughter and another on the way.

It really gets my goat when these ******* start bleating about 'rights', etc.

I think anyone who doesn't think it's serious should be made to assist in the care of the Covid dead.

I also think the TV info-adverts are too soft.

It's a real kick in the guts not being able to properly pay your respects.

Stay strong, we're all here for you.

M.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

Thanks Mike, that sounds painful for your wife's colleague, too painful and so unfair. I 100% agree regarding those people and as I say, they would not want to cross me right now or in the next few days as believe me I would for the first time break the social distancing rules with some very non-social impact distancing. We all go through the guilt thing, why haven't I spoken to them recently etc but it's so difficult to do in these horrible times. I was going to do some work on the layout tonight but have resorted to having a few strong beers instead in memory of Alan, a friend, work colleague, mentor etc etc. I remember having a beer with him in Damascus, Kumasi (Ghana for those who don't know) and many many other places. He really was a top bloke and never had a bad word to say about anyone. I was working for him when I lost my own father in 1998 and he could not have helped more, an incredibly kind and considerate man. Aside from family he is the person no longer here who I will remember most and I can't think of more than a handful of others who will ever be above him. I worked with him from when I was 15 doing my apprenticeship, then I worked for him when he and another guy left to start their own business, then I sub-contracted to him too including in Syria and Ghana etc. Another sad thing is that his mother is still around and you really shouldn't be saying farewell to your own kids, it's just in the wrong order.
I'm waffling now and should really finish my beer and go to bed. I will be in a bit of a daze for a while though with this news but believe it or not I see people on here as good friends and I know they can help get through times like this even though I have met very few in person so far.

Thanks for your support  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Alan sounds like the kind of guy we'd all want as a friend, mentor etc and nothing I can say will ease the pain of his loss as I'm likely to just degenerate into a rant about the Covidiots.
Stay strong, John

steve836

That's tough news John. My condolences. I've been fortunate so far in that those of my aquaintance who've caught the virus have recovered and hopefully with the vaccine coming on line that good fortune will continue.

StufromEGDL

Hi John;

I empathise with the grief you feel about losing a good friend taken too early. I have suffered the loss of friends and colleagues before their time due to the nature of my work. Whilst nothing can ever replace them, their memories live on and a glass is raised or a private nod of recognition is made when the anniversary of their passing occurs. No one will ever understand what friends, especially good ones, mean to each of us and no amount of words will ever replace the pain. The only thing we can do as a community is understand, give you time, space and support and promise to be here if you need to have a rant.

A friend remembered is always a friend.

Regards;
Stu from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations