oven bulb

Started by guest311, March 17, 2020, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

it's getting worse ....

the bulb in the oven has blown ...

managed to get one at local Tesco's, panic doesn't seem to have hit that aisle yet ....

but 'Made in China'....

do I need to isolate the new bulb for 14 days, wipe with antiseptic, before I can fit ?

or should I just bang it in and hope the heat kills the virus.....
SWMBO  is doing my head in, it's not as though she looks into the oven  :'(

Chuffington

You could take a chance but I would err on the side of caution and get some full Hazmat gear.

emjaybee

I too would advise caution, but for a different reason.

Question: Is it a Tesco own brand light bulb?

If the answer is yes, throw it away and buy a proprietary brand name bulb.

As an electrician by trade, I see a lot of lamp related issues, exploding LED bulbs, GU10's where the face glass falls out (surface temp. of 180degC!), bayonet cap bulbs where the glass envelope detaches leaving bare wires, E27 bulbs where the base is no thicker than BacoFoil tinfoil, GU10's fused into the holder, LED bulbs catching fire.

Almost without exception, all Supermarket/DIY store own brands.

Don't misunderstand me, pretty much all light bulbs are made in China, and all TECHNICALLY meet the required safety standards, but China will build down to a price and bend the standards to the Nth degree. The main brands Sylvania, GE, Philips, Osram, etc., are built much better, much safer, and to be honest, will last longer.

Heed my thirty years of experience or not, these are the facts as I've experienced them, nothing more. I'm all for exotic garnish', but I'd rather it wasn't broken glass in my casserole.

Here endeth today's public service broadcast.

Have a pleasant evening.

:-*
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

N_GaugeModeller

Well said

Similar experience myself, also from 30 odd years in the trade.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Train Waiting

A agree completely.  When we 'built' our house 12 years ago, I specified MK electrical components.  More expensive, I know, but I'm convinced it was money well spent.  The electrician sub-contractor (a really excellent chap) seemed to think it was a good decision.

Sometimes worth spending a little bit more if one is able to.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

N_GaugeModeller

As long as you didn't end up with those fake MK sockets from China, rather than the genuine MK sockets from China ;)
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

daffy

Many thanks for some valuable advice here guys. :thumbsup:

I did wonder about Tesco branded bulbs when a few 'long-life' jobs packed up after only a few months use.

My electrician frowns at MK brand and has fitted Hager branded sockets for my cooker, hob hood and sockets. MK's in the rest of the house fitted by me (checked by him) seem fine.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

themadhippy

QuoteThe main brands Sylvania, GE, Philips, Osram, etc., are built much better.
Even the named brands occasionally have issues,the difference being they'll replace faulty stock.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

guest311

think I must have got the wrong type of bulb, the light only comes on when you open the oven door  >:D :smiley-laughing:

emjaybee

See...

...intermittent fault already.

:doh:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

Quote from: class37025 on March 18, 2020, 07:27:23 PM
think I must have got the wrong type of bulb, the light only comes on when you open the oven door  >:D :smiley-laughing:

No, I think you've put it in the fridge  :o
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations