What region/area/period is your favourite ?

Started by 4x2, December 10, 2011, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x2

Just a general question really... What's your favourite region/area/period ?

Steam wise - i'm a big S&D fan, so that does include a bit of Southern, Midland and Western regions !

The 70's-80's - Are the biggest influence to my modelling, i prefer the BR blue period to anything else really, but there is always room for a steam special...  ;D

US - Just recently got into US modelling - mostly Union Pacific and Chessie, but in both HO and N scale.

Oh, and a big 'THANK YOU' to elvinley (forum member) for tempting me with his 'G scale' shay... you can learn to hate some people you know.... I can't go anywhere now without looking at G scale stuff ! :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Lots of new members recently, so come on - let us know what your favourites are !  :wave:

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Mustermark

Region is Western region. My layout is based on Reading.

Eras are BR Blue (my favourite) around 1974, FGW around 2008, plus I have a couple of GWR steamers (not sure what year but I'm guessing 1930s).

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

4x2

Quote from: Mustermark on December 10, 2011, 06:10:15 PM

Eras are BR Blue around 1974, FGW around 2008, plus I have a couple of GWR steamers (not sure what year but I'm guessing 1930s).
Did first still have the 'fag packet' livery by then ?
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Pengi

Definitely post privatisation across the old NSE region including the West London line. Favourite train companies are Southern and Southwest. Favourite rail journey is the Arun Valley line to Victoria. Most iconic train is the Pendolino but favourite train is the Cross Country Voyager has it always seemed to be waiting at Bournemouth to rescue me from the chaos of emergency buses because of a broken down freight train at Parkstone.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

BobB

BR blue, summer 1976 (it was the hottest that I remember, got burnt on the IOW) so I can run locos with TOPS numbers and headcodes. Lots of variety, locomotive hauled freights and passenger stuff with blue/grey mk I, mk II and HST's (mk III) coaches, fitted, unfitted and rail-freight red/grey wagons. I imagine that some refurbished dmu's were running in blue/grey alongside all blue ones.

The only thing is that if I want a hymek, it should not be there, nor should a blue pullman but next year when it comes out I may apply modelers license or get a time machine.

As for the region, well Southern / Western with cross country from Midland and Eastern..........

Problem is finding a believable imaginary location and name that suits all of them.......

Alex

Hi,

My British layout was just a hodge podge of various engines and wagons. No real Era or operator. I do want to do a British layout based on actual operators within Fife around the North British/LNER days. I also want to do something involving the Weymss Private Railway. A couple of future projects perhaps once I get some reliable stock.

My US stuff is the same but I'm now narrowing it down to mid-80's. No real region yet as one layout goes from desert to greenery and back to desert. The other layout is mainly industrial so NE of America maybe.

Alex

Paul B

Region and area - LNER, eastern region, especially the ex-Great Eastern Railway area. Era - anything from GER era, throughout the LNER period, and I even dabble in early BR steam, and even have a few diesels (including an ex-GWR diesel railcar in BR blood & custard, for no other reason that I love them!)

...however, I also am one if the 'if I like it I will run it' modellers - today, at the Swindon MRC open day I was running a Minitrix class 27 diesel with a Fleischmann 'Chocolate Express' set of German trucks and one coach decorated with Swiss chocolate adverts on it! Well it is Christmas!  ;D
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

4x2

Nothing wrong with that ! 'it's my railway, i'll run what i want' - now that is something i think we should all embrase, we all have our favourites but that shouldn't stop us from taking a time a 'time out' and run something for fun every now and then !  ;D

Mike

Mustermark

Quote from: 4x2 on December 10, 2011, 06:14:58 PM
Quote from: Mustermark on December 10, 2011, 06:10:15 PM

Eras are BR Blue around 1974, FGW around 2008, plus I have a couple of GWR steamers (not sure what year but I'm guessing 1930s).
Did first still have the 'fag packet' livery by then ?

No, it was all dynamic lines.  Dark blue with wiggly stripes. Except for the class 57 which was in green and gold.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

4x2

Thanks for that ! I've lived in this area (Bristol) all my life and i just couldn't remember... :-[

Mike

Oldman

Steam era from choice Have unbuilt LNER stock, but want to concentrate on LB&SCR to SR     as that is what goes past every day and have memories of going by train to Bognor as a small boy.
Artistic licence will prevail in the end and I shall run what ever I feel like at the time.
Possibly even a Japanese C11 and a couple of coaches. ;D
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Fifer

ATSF around the 50's to late 60's north and south in New Mexico USA.

Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

port perran

Region is Western.
Area is West Cornwall (where I live). Fictitiously based on an area twixt Resdruth & Hayle.
Period is 1959-63.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Greybeema

Southern - 1980's onwards - Post Privatisation because of the mix of liveries (I actually like NSE Toothpaste) but especially South Eastern (Charing Cross / Blackfriars via Dartford) Freight runs out there too you know....  And South Central Services down to Brighton...

BUT

I also love LMS & BR Standard Steam Locomotives..... and am looking forwards to the Bulleid Pacifics from Dapol...  Its my railway I'll run what I like..

:Class414:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

CAMBRIAN DRIVER DAVE

It's got to be modern image for me all the different liverys in the last 10 years or so and I must say (I know I drive them for a living ) I do like the new arriva livery .
Big Dave

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations