!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Couplings  (Read 1897 times)

Offline AltonLine

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Couplings
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:58 pm »
I need help! I am new to N-Gauge and dabbled only briefly in OO when I was younger, so the subject of couplings is one I no very little about.

In short, what I need is information on recommended couplings for Graham Farish and Dapol locomotives and rolling stock. I want the ability to uncouple remotely, using either permanent magnets or electromagnets. I would be interested in using the electromagnet uncoupler made by Peco (PL-25) and Peco Elsie Couplings with NR-103 coupling lift arms. Would it be possible to fit these couplings to Farish/Dapol models?

Also, are there any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks you in advance for any help - gratefully received!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:20:41 am by Mustermark »

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in NC
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
Re: Couplings
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:25:56 am »
I moved this request for advice from the knowledge bank in the hope that it will be more visible and garner more helpful response here.

There have been various postings about automatic couplings for shunting etc. The new Dapol one seems to be a big hit.

Please have a go at searching the forum using the search function... I know there was a recent post by Fratton using permanent magnets with a coupling system (Dapol, if  I rcall correctly).

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com

I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in NC
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:48:59 am »

Hers is Dock Shunter's reply from the Knowedge Bank thread.

Handy link, thank you for posting it. However, I need help! I am new to N-Gauge and dabbled only briefly in OO when I was younger, so the subject of couplings is one I no very little about.

In short, what I need is information on recommended couplings for Graham Farish and Dapol locomotives and rolling stock. I want the ability to uncouple remotely, using either permanent magnets or electromagnets. I would be interested in using the electromagnet uncoupler made by Peco (PL-25) and Peco Elsie Couplings with NR-103 coupling lift arms. Would it be possible to fit these couplings to Farish/Dapol models?

Also, are there any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks you in advance for any help - gratefully received!

First off i would say,there is no definitive method of coupling and uncoupling.
Each method has it's good points and it's short comings.
The Peco method that you are interested in can be made to work quite well with a lot of fettling,although i would be more inclined to use gaugemaster electromagnets personally as they are a lot stronger.
The downside to this method is that delayed action uncoupling is not possible with rapido couplings.(delayed action uncoupling allows you to uncouple and push say a rake of wagons into a siding without them coupling back up to the loco).
If you want this feature then you need to look at other methods.
Dapol have recently released their "Easi-Shunt" couplings which are a straight swap for rapidos fitted in NEM pockets.I think a conversion kit is also in the pipeline for non NEM stock.They operate using permanent magnets .
Also you have Micro-Trains,DGs,MBMs,Sprat and Winkle,B+Bs.........
Have a look using the Search facillity on the forum and you should find info on some of these methods.......

Oh......Welcome to the forum........ :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com

I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:06:38 am »
Having tried various types over the years, my recomendation would be:

For 'modern era' stock the new Dapol Magnetic knuckle type or KayDees.
Advantages - resemble the couplings on a lot of modern stock, readly available, come pre-assembled and are easy to fit.
Disadvantages - expensive, sideways thrust can easily derail lightwight 4 wheel wagons.

For older eras either B&B or DGs. (very similar hook & loop type coupling)
Advantages - better for use on smaller/lighter 4 wheel wagons, relatively cheap.
Disadvantages - require assembly from etched brass components (requires patience and practice).

Paul

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
Hi AltonLines and welcome to  :NGaugeForum:

As I model the pre-Nationalisation era the new Dapol couplers are not really suitable for me and I have not tried them. I did try the Micro-trains couplers which are the N Gauge version of the Kaydee couplers but found them to be unsuitable for British outline models as they require quite a lot of 'butchery', particularly to locos, to fit them. They are, however, designed for for US outline and seem to be very popular in that situation.

I have tried most of the self-assembly etched couplers and have finally settled on the MBD couplers (available from the N Gauge Society) as they are quite easy to put together and, once blackened, become almost invisible. I use them with push-button operated electro-magnets and they have proved to be very reliable.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Offline AltonLine

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:28:43 pm »
Guys, just wanted to say many thanks for all the help. Really useful. I am leaning towards MBD or DG couplings, used in conjunction with electromagnets. Just need to pluck up the courag to modify my locos and rolling stock!

Offline alibuchan

• My page on shapeways
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:09:38 am »
I was worried about getting the nerve to start doing that as well but go for it, it is worth it in the end.

I started fitting DG's to my little dairy layout stock in march. Keep one wagon as a Datum wagon so that all other wagons and loco's will couple up to each other.

The hardest thing with DG's is to get the wire for the dropper on and in the right position, I don't think I have 2 the same so far!

Alistair

Offline zivadiva

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:34:37 am »
Hi

If you are a member of the n Gauge society in this months journal there is a simple solution for uncoupling the rapido's.

I know they are not ideal, but it means that you do not need to butcher loco's and stock.

Ziva

Offline AltonLine

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:53:46 pm »
I have done a bit more research and the Seep EM-1 electromagnet and EM-2 uncoupler arms from Gaugemaster seem to be good. They appear to be designed to work with Rapido couplings. Has anyone had experience of using them?

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:00 pm »
I have done a bit more research and the Seep EM-1 electromagnet and EM-2 uncoupler arms from Gaugemaster seem to be good. They appear to be designed to work with Rapido couplings. Has anyone had experience of using them?

I have used the SEEP Electromagnets with B&B and DG couplings. They do the job required and are easy to install/wire. They are stronger and more consistent than the PECO electromagnets and cheaper than most others.

The uncoupler arms I haven't used because to me they are just a very expensive way of doing what can be done just as easily with a bit of steel wire...

Paul

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%

anything