!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 33 not picking up power.  (Read 321 times)

Offline daftbaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13996
    • Awards
Class 33 not picking up power.
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:39 pm »
I have changed the gear cogs including new drive axles and pick ups on a Class 33. The motor runs but not by picking current up from the wheels, only if I put the wire to the brass or copper strip underneath and the outer chassis. The wheels turn around if it is on its back. But if you put it on the track, it will not pick up power. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Class 33 not picking up power.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:41:38 pm »
Hi Daftbaker, and welcome aboard :wave:
I'm sure someone will be along to help very soon.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:10:55 pm »
OK, so not being familiar with this particular model I don't know the pickup design.  Is it Dapol or Farish?

Does it have wiper pickups on the backs of the wheels, or does it have split axles and pass power through the axles?

Do the bogies have wiper contacts onto the chassis, is it a split chassis? 

Any of the above could be the problem, you need to trace through the pickup path.  Have you tried feeding power to various wheels via a pair of wires while the loco is upside down?  When the loco is on the track does it cause a short circuit (this can happen if the model has wheels insulated on one axle only and you've put one or more axles back in the wrong way round)?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline daftbaker

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 04:09:27 pm »
It is a Farish model.

If I touch the wires on the wheels the motor turns and the gear cogs operate as they should. If I stand it on the track, it doesn't  work. Other locos do work on the track so that is fine.
Someone posted a pretty comprehensive service article for the loco, which I have followed. I just can't understand why there is a problem between track and wheels.

Thanks for your ideas.

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 04:32:14 pm »
So the motor works when you touch power to the wheels when the loco is upside down - have you checked the motor runs from every possible wheel combination of applying power ? Front bogie & rear bogie ?
Possible that you have an internal short which only shows up when both bogies are on the track ?
Check the contacts on the bogies where they touch the chassis to ensure they are only making contact in the correct places.

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:59:28 pm »
The Farish model uses a brass sprung contact to get power from the bogies to the chassis block. One or more of these isn't making contact. Take the body off, and with the loco on the track look between the bogies and chassis. It should be clear which contact isn't making contact.

Steven B

Offline daftbaker

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:29:15 am »
Thanks.

The comment regarding putting the wires to all wheel combinations might be the answer as it works when the wires are touching different bogies along one side only.

I will check this out .

Offline daftbaker

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:50 am »
Thanks to the help.

It was a pick up problem. Reviewed the Farish shed servicing article and I had four alike connectors where two each should bend differently.

Problem now resolved.

Move on to the next problem loco now.

Class 159 just won't go, think it is something to do with the long spring that goes front to back.

Dapol class 67 hardly done any mileage, been in store. Just sits on the track, not even the lights come on.

Any ideas?

Thanks again from a happy old man.

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 10:26:35 am »
Good to hear you got the 33 running again  :claphappy:

159 : Can you give more into as to the chassis type ?

67 : Assume this is 'DDC Ready' ? If it has a DCC chip in it and you are using DC most likely nothing will happen.
If you are using DC and there is no blanking chip in the socket this could also cause nothing to happen.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 10:59:00 am »
67 : Assume this is 'DDC Ready' ? If it has a DCC chip in it and you are using DC most likely nothing will happen.
No, by default decoders will work on DC unless specifically disabled by CV programming or it is one of the few cheap decoders which don't support that functionality.

Could be the decoder (or blanking plate) has worked loose?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:04 am »
No, by default decoders will work on DC unless specifically disabled by CV programming or it is one of the few cheap decoders which don't support that functionality.

Could be the decoder (or blanking plate) has worked loose?

I bought some s/h locos which had DCC chips in - didn't realize at the time - tried them on a DC layout and nothing happened, removed the DCC chips and replaced with blanking chips and they all worked fine - even got a few £'s for the DCC chips !
Not sure what brand the DCC chips were though. 

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 12:39:54 pm »
Class 159 just won't go, think it is something to do with the long spring that goes front to back.

Almost certainly split gears on the 4 wheelsets locking it up - extremely common.

Dapol class 67 hardly done any mileage, been in store. Just sits on the track, not even the lights come on.

Most common faults on 67s are dodgey PCBs, or broken connection to the motor. Worst case would be a duff motor.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here