!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tomytec tram track and bus systems  (Read 370 times)

Offline martynlg

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tomytec tram track and bus systems
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 02:20:48 pm »
I thought it might be worth alerting any members who have ordered up a Tomytec bus chassis with the rechargeable Lithium batteries (e.g. for the Swiss PTT Mercedes Citaro) to an issue (hopefully with a resolution)

Powered chassis ordered on eBay and arrived within a week or so. Connected battery and switched on - nothing! Tried to charge battery (having read they can go flat over time in storage) - no recharging light came on and it wouldn't charge. Contacted seller (another frustrating story - just as well my other half writes good german) and, in the meantime, ordered up a replacement from a reliable supplier on eBay I've used many times - DM-Toys. This arrived today and had same problem.

Looked up on the JNS Forum site and apparently if they won't charge it's because the battery has gone totally flat in storage. You can apparently 'resuscitate' it by 'pulsing' it for a few seconds from an externable 5v supply. I used my 12v transformer for the test track in my study and turned it on just under halfway.

Hey Presto - it worked. Unit delivered today is now charging. We'll now see if that works and, if so, whether I can repeat it with the original chassis I haven't returned yet.

I may of course be 'teaching granny to suck eggs', but if not, hope this tip helps others.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 05:59:27 pm »
I had one chassis from Walthers which they refunded because it did not work out of the box. I replaced the battery and it then worked fine.

I was aware of the pulsing treatment being one way to resuscitate a dead one.

Another precaution is to discharge and recharge the batteries on a regular cycle say every two months, so that the battery understands it has work to do.

The most recent batch from Walthers have the battery isolated by a removable white slide switch on the right side of the chassis. Any of the Walthers ones without the slide switch should be considered old stock and may be prone to stalling and need the pulse treatment.

The first photo shows the switch which is slid upwards to connect the battery. The slider is removed after connecting and the chassis looks like normal as in the second photo.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/65/1599-150518175235.jpeg

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/65/1599-150518175758.jpeg
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:01:39 pm by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Offline martynlg

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 08:30:12 pm »
My chassis (not quite sure what the plural of chassis, but my grammar expert partner tells me it is also chassis) had this white plastic piece for connecting the battery too. The good news is that I have now managed to charge both chassis and await the delivery of an extra bus body tomorrow. I've also managed to source two right hand bus stops via Amazon, so will be able to install these and adapt the left hand one I have already to match. Still await the remainder of the bus track from Japan (God knows what the import duty and handling charge will be) and hope to start building the tram and bus track very soon.

Glad to know that you were already aware of the trick with the battery.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything