!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Empress Road Shed  (Read 1037 times)

Offline midsummerend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Big Passion For A Small Scale
    • Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
Empress Road Shed
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:56:14 pm »
Late last year I decided to build a new layout based on the Great Central Railway's locomotive works in Loughborough.  The layout is very simple but detail is the name of the game for me to keep the interest up.  I have made a good start on the layout over Christmas and this is a bit of information about the layout for you all to read.

Background to design:

The layout is built to house my ever growing fleet of preserved steam locos and replaces the much bigger Model Heritage Railway which I was building.  This layout is much smaller, 3ft in length including fiddle yard, and is my first model which takes to represent a real location.

Location chosen:

Empress Road shed is a model of the Great Central Railway's workshops to the North of Loughborough station.  The model is my take on the area between Empress Road bridge and the shed itself, where you often see lococmotives being stabled and serviced outside.  Three tracks are modelled with pits on two of them.  The shed is from Weston Models and spans the three roads with the doors modelled in almost closed position.

The build:

The layout started in October with the building of an MDF sheet and some batten lengths.  This was completed by my ever helpful father who is great with woodwork.  Once this was complete a Tomytec bridge was cut in half and fitted into the scenic break as the front of Empress Road Bridge, and 3 lengths of Flexi track laid on the layout before covering with plasticard and painting in a dark grey colour.

Once this was done a number of scenic details are added, such as the Peedie Models house on the backscene, Metcalfe brick walling and the Weston Models shed.  A range of Woodland Scenics foliage has been used to blend the scene in various parts and some 3D printed items complete the scenic area, including 2 boilers, modelled in stored and being restored conditions.  Further detail includes a single and double container for the back of the yard and some Peco coach wheels painted in rust.

Further details to be added shortly include Peedie Models oil barrels and some resin casts of tarped loads from ebay.

Shows:

Empress Road Shed will be debuting at the Essex N Gauge Show on 31st March 2018 and will then be available for other shows throughout the year.

Photos:

A couple photos of the layout as it looks at present.  Further photos will be shared when more detail is added.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Re: Empress Road Shed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:52:03 pm »
Looking good. I will watch your progress with interest as I have fond memories of my driver experience day at Loughborough. Part of which was exploring the shed and the nearby signal box.
Good luck.
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:18:13 pm »
Looking forward to following this thread.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:40:20 pm »
More work completed last night on detailing including fitting Oil Drums, Gas Cans and Pallets from our friends at Peedie Models, plus a renumber of 92220 "Evening Star" to become 92214.  I have 2 of the Evening Star 9F so I can model 92214 in both guises.  Here's some more photos - comments, ideas and feedback welcome.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:13:22 pm »
Great pics, lovely locos and some good detailing but, to me, the hard standing is too 'immaculate' :hmmm:

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 03:46:06 pm »
Great pics, lovely locos and some good detailing but, to me, the hard standing is too 'immaculate' :hmmm:

Agree'd the hard standing does look very neat.  Something I intend to work on before it's first exhibition on 31st March (so a few weeks yet!)

Any ideas on how best to weather up the yard would be appreciated.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »
I was gong to say exactly the same thing.
A lot depends on how you want it to look but a bit of grime would, I think, work.
How about some fine scatter to resemble a sort of loose cindery type finish but not too even.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 04:16:01 pm »
I was gong to say exactly the same thing.
A lot depends on how you want it to look but a bit of grime would, I think, work.
How about some fine scatter to resemble a sort of loose cindery type finish but not too even.

I've been studying the yard at Loughborough and it seems to be quite hard standing with little ash or cinder, just the odd bit of loco sand dropped about the place, and some oily patches.  Thinking of a bit of Varnish to represent the oily batches and then some Humbrol Sand and Rust weathering to represent the dropped Sand.  I know i need to add a couple loads covered with tarpaulins. (on order and awaiting delivery) so maybe this would suite in the end?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:07 pm »
I think some cinders/ash wouldn't go amiss, even if it has been swept into a pile ready for disposal. Is it an easy task to coat the hard standing with some matt varnish as that would at least take the sheen off it? :hmmm:
You might want to think about how the steamers are coaled so either some coal staithes or a tipper lorry full which could be craned off into the tenders. Likewise a water crane/tank. I know it can get too busy if not careful but they are maybe worthy of some consideration :-\

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:20 pm »
Sounds good to me.
My Layouts -

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »
I think some cinders/ash wouldn't go amiss, even if it has been swept into a pile ready for disposal. Is it an easy task to coat the hard standing with some matt varnish as that would at least take the sheen off it? :hmmm:
You might want to think about how the steamers are coaled so either some coal staithes or a tipper lorry full which could be craned off into the tenders. Likewise a water crane/tank. I know it can get too busy if not careful but they are maybe worthy of some consideration :-\

Really usefully the Water Crane and coaling stage are the other side of the bridge (so not modelled).  As such, things like lumps of coal which have missed the loco aren't generally found in the yard here.

I've also found the yard to be kept fairly tidy as they do allow public to walk around on certain days, hence the photographers on the edge of the yard.

A couple helpful prototype photos of the yard modelled are here.. (Photos from google search and not my photos!)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 05:25:04 pm »
The prototype pictures indicate that variations in colour rather than texture (especially true at n scale) are what is required. Hope that this helps, great model.

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 05:34:52 pm »
The prototype pictures indicate that variations in colour rather than texture (especially true at n scale) are what is required. Hope that this helps, great model.

I agree, I think once I've applied some Humbrol weathering powders of various shades (or maybe some weathering chalks?) it should make the area look better.  Also a couple tarpaulined loads should also help break up the blackness.

Offline midsummerend

• Essex N Gauge show
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
A start has been made on weathering up the yard with some weathering paints and some gloss black paint (to represent wet/oily patches)  I'm fairly happy with it, although still think it needs some more powdery style weathering to be applied.  I'm waiting for some Humbrol weathering powders to arrive in the post later this week.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on this.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »
I think already that is a huge improvement :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00