!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cassette connections  (Read 541 times)

Online Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Cassette connections
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:25:42 pm »
I've just started to do a bit of an upgrade on ye olde test oval, seeing as my railway room has become a "temporary" storage location, such that I can hardly get in the door I thought I'd try extending things by adding some cassettes and also a bit of scenery.

The big problem usually with cassettes is getting them decently lined up and getting power to it. The test oval is Kato and that gave me the idea to fit a Kato Snap track conversion piece

http://www.traintrax.co.uk/20045-snap-track-conversion-track-p-282.html

The cassettes have Peco code 55 , if I remove an inch or two at the end and replace with one of the conversion pieces that will enable easy, accurate connection to the "layout". A similar idea could possibly be used at baseboard joints or lift out sections across doorways; I've got some of the conversion pieces in the post so will report further maybe with piccies. I intend having cassettes at right angle both ends of the board making a "U" shape.

A further thought, is to use a short piece of Kato track a little longer than your longest loco in a small cassette so you can insert the loco onto the end of the cassette with coaches/vans /wagons; that way you can turn and/or change locos. So you send out a Schools with xcoaches at the other end of the run you run onto a train and a loco cassete, take off the Schools cassette and insert a T9 between the coaches and the board and run the train in the opposite direction.

Outline plan - cassette with 4 or 5 Maunsel coaches, another with 4 or 5 Staniers, and a third with Gresley Teaks also others with a rake of Farish suburbans, a van train, and a goods train. with 2 or 3 relevant locos for each train cassette should give plenty of variety. I'll also do some scenic work and maybe exhibit eventually.

Need a stupid name then, summat like Testum Yur.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Cassette connections
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:28:44 pm »
Hi
 thoughts :
1. you may want to add some plasticard strip to help guide wheelsets - a level crossing insert is what I had in mind - useful on my 4mm shed cassettes.

2. Makeup and extra base but without sides and fix a railing ramp on to it so you can easily and accurately add stock to layout or short cassette.

3. try to make a slot in part for cassette to locate so tracks line up makes for more reliable operation.

4. If using fishplate joiners then consider electrical jumper links to stop inadvertant stalls - embarrassing at shows!- a pair of flying leads at far end of cassette.

5 Cut some T shaped end stops and cut a slot in sides to retain - having seen O gauge coaches failing to learn how to fly  it could be your prize vehicles that could take a dive. - bit of foam will protect buffers and perhaps if done with travelling in mind might make the basis of a stock carrier box, or at least fit into something useful with a foam lid to trap stock.
cheers
Robert

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:01:35 pm »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:51:20 pm »
Have a rerailer at the end of cassettes; Using Kato unitrack alignment and power connection is taken care of.

I use plastic cable trunking 25mm wide, tends to be a bit thicker than "u" section, comes in 2M lengths so I can get 2 long and one short cassette from each piece.

To aid alignment  I fix a couple of lengths of plastic angle to the board either side of the trunking; I've been using cassettes for years, just hit on the Unitrack usefulness recently.

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here