!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Midsummer End GWR Layout - Available for Exibitions  (Read 6602 times)

Offline midsummerend

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Midsummer End GWR Layout - Available for Exibitions
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:47:54 pm »
Welcome to my thread about Midsummer End.  Having met Callum Sutherland at Stafford in 2015, a number of discussions continued over the months culminating in me helping him operating Apa Park and Apagele layouts at Sevenoaks model show.  A second day of helping at the Great Central Railway (North) got me hooked.  I wanted an N-gauge layout which would fit in the car and could be taken to exhibitions.  Only able to spend one day at the GCRN with Callum I returned home and spent the Sunday working on some MDF and 2x1 in the back garden.

A few hours later and a small 4ft x 1ft board had been produced, albeit without ends.  Planning began and I decided on a small GWR branch terminus layout. 

After creating a track plan on anyrail to include a short single platform with run-round and a 2 road yard alongside, track laying commenced on the Monday.  By the middle of the week the track had been laid, point motors installed, although not wired up, and the start of the overbridge installed.  Here is how the layout looked on 9th August, just 7 days after I hard started constructing the baseboards:

By this point Midsummer End had also been entered for it's first show - on the 6th September, yes that was less than a month away!  Time to ramp up the pace a little.  After working 8.5 hours a day, I came home each evening and got on with tasks.  By the 13th August the layout was further along with Platforms fitted and goods yard having progressed and the signal box started.

All the buildings had been purchased and ordered after the decision to start the layout, so progress on these was slowed by awaiting delivery.  This however didn't slow down the pace as more and more bits appeared on the layout over the coming days.  By the 17th August the left hand side of the layout had come together to almost create the scene.  Still lots to do on the right hand side and just 20 days until it's exhibition debut...

The right hand side of the layout came together fairly quickly after this and the woods on the right gave a natural edge to the layout.

With the cattle dock built this part of the layout was really starting to come together. 

The delivery of some preiser and noch figures enabled the yard to be populated a little more and this overview of the layout taken on 23 August shows just how much had been achieved in the 21 days taken so far (Yes just 3 weeks from cutting the first wood for the layout!)

With nearly everything completed the week following saw the completion of electrics under the layout and the fitting of more figures and details including yard shunt signals from PD Marsh.  By the 30th August the layout was nearing completion with GWR vehicles in place in the goods yard.  Plenty of detail included and nearly ready for exhibition. 

One problem was how to light the layout if the hall used was dark.  It's first exhibition was booked for Bressingham and knowing this wasn't the best location for light, I decided to fit LED strip lights to the top.  A bar across the front was fitted and LED strip lights wired in.

The 6th September soon arrived and despite lots of last minute worries about lighting and electrics, and a few last minute details including adding period posters to the fencing, the show time had arrived and the layout was ready.  Arriving at 9am the stewards at Bressingham showed me to my table, I was to exhibit in Captain Mainwaring's office, a dark office at Bressingham, and as such the LED lighting came into it's own.

A great show as had and a lot of positive feedback, and just 5 weeks after starting the layout.  A few more details where certainly needed, but the various details already added certainly gave people plenty to talk about.  With a man walking his dogs in front of the railway cottages causing a lot of people to gasp at the minute detail of the layout.

With experience of the first exhibition behind me I was now set for the second exhibition.  More figures ordered from Gaugemaster to increase the detail and things started to get ready for Colchester show.  I have had so much positive feedback at Bressingham, online and now at Colchester about the amount of detail, from sheep and the shepherd, to the posters, even the man walking his dogs, it's been fantastic.

One last photo for now shows a Hall class in the platform with wagons in the yard taken while the layout was set up at home between exhibitions.

We have had several invites to other exhibitions in 2016 although so far none have been confirmed for certain, but I'm confident that we will be at a few more in 2016.  If you would like the layout to appear at your exhibition please get in touch.

I hope you've enjoyed reading about the one month build of Midsummer End and welcome your comments.

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
Re: Midsummer End GWR Layout - Available for Exibitions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 11:06:34 pm »
Had a little play with bringing Midsummer into the Diesel era with a Western and Warship this evening.  A couple images here show the Dapol Western and Graham Farish Warship on period coaches/wagons for the 1960s.

Enjoy:

Feel free to comment and make judgement - all ideas welcome.

Offline GrahamB

• N Gauge Society Number: 10968
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:50:03 am »
That looks very nice. How have you arranged the hidden sidings? I'm assuming they go off in an "L" shape?

What arrangements have you made for uncoupling?

I'm currently using LED spots but toying with the idea of LED strips. Could you post some photos of how you have arranged yours?
N Gauge Society Member.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
Pics of Southbridge are at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=3092;u=298
My new layout (Under development) can be found at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.msg463185#msg463185

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:15:49 pm »
That looks very nice. How have you arranged the hidden sidings? I'm assuming they go off in an "L" shape?

What arrangements have you made for uncoupling?

I'm currently using LED spots but toying with the idea of LED strips. Could you post some photos of how you have arranged yours?

Hi Graham

The layout is just a 7 ft long length.  the hidden sidings are just straight out from the two lines with points to split them.  I'm about to re-arrange them slightly due to some issues at Colchester, but it will still be the same basic principle.  Once in the hidden sidings the second operators will move locos/coaches about.

The LED strip is just stuck to the top of the layout along the entire length of the front and both sides, nothing fancy.

I will try and get some photos to show later, but it's not easy as the back of the layout obviously doesn't come off.

Regards

Steven

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:02:32 pm »
The lighting isn't shown very well, but here we go:

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 06:31:26 pm »
A very nice layout and very rapidly made too. :thumbsup:  Oh, just a thought, could you come over and finish mine off this weekend? :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 11:26:19 pm »
A very nice layout and very rapidly made too. :thumbsup:  Oh, just a thought, could you come over and finish mine off this weekend? :D

I'd love to :)  I do enjoy building layouts and dioramas so much more than operating them, I guess I am a bit impatient though in that I like to see things done. My next project to build in the new year is a OO/OO9 mixed layout using N-gauge locos as motive power for the OO9

Midsummer will still be exhibited and I hope a few more exhibition invites yet for 2016.

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
Me too. I prefer constructing to running.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:24:36 pm »
I'm the other way round - for me the layout is "just" a backdrop for the trains, but I do like building kits.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 07:02:56 pm »
This is why the hobby is so unique in that people can enjoy so many different aspects of it.  For my the Ipswich model show today was poor as it was all "playing trains" and no real scenic wonders or layouts which you could spend ages admiring, just lots of trains rushing passed everywhere.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
For me, I love to see trains running in reasonably realistic scenery be it countryside or a rural setting.
However, I realise that for many people the trains/locomotives are paramount whilst for others the technology (electrics/controllers/dcc operation) are really the attraction. Others like to see realistic train operation/shunting movements at realistic slow speeds.
Each to there own and that's why this hobby appeals to so many people.
The best exhibitions are where one gets to see a combination of all of the above.
As for Midsummer End - a cracking little layout. Well done.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 08:26:19 pm »
Couldn't agree more.  A good exhibition is a great mix of scales and types of layout.  For me the key is in the detail.  Lots of little cameos etc really draw my attention.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:31 pm »
I really enjoy construction, timetabling, running trains, planning cameos and developing an elaborate back story but 'electrickery' numbs me (very fortunately, I have the offer of help from an electrical engineer).

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
  :hellosign: An excellent layout well done sir. Also to each their own I just love watching trains.
regards Derek.

Offline midsummerend

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 10:33:09 pm »
A couple recent wagon additions from Lima include a Palethorpes branded Siphon which has been put on Dapol bogies to lower it's ride height and make it look a bit better, but also included is a GWR Horsebox from Lima.  I must say the Horsebox doesn't look out of place at all.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here