!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3  (Read 42224 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2018, 10:27:15 pm »
Re Bulleid - 34004 Yeovil in the locomotive exchange to Scotland or 34006 Bude exchange to the Great Central?

Alas, no - as this is a Merchant Navy; not a Light pacific.

John was correct - if I ever get time for pursuing my failed Revolution pendolino purchase, this will becom No. 35017 Belgian Marine in May. 1948.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »
Dr Al!

i have a question, i have a langly standard 4 body kit lieing around somewhere, and would love to have 75029 in br green on my layout.

what other pieces do i need and how much would you charge for a commision?

mine does need to be DCC however!

then the next question is the 2-10-0 WD, the shire i reckon we could handle as that looks straight forward if its on the schools chassis with a b1 tender (got a spare B1 tender!)

cheers

paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2018, 09:03:09 pm »
For the BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 body kit, you need an old Graham Farish Black Five 4-6-0. Best would be a later model with the blackened wheels. The chassis of these can be DCC-fitted. The most expensive option would be a new GF Black Five 4-6-0 but you'd have much better wheels and, I think they have a split chassis if not completely DCC-ready.

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2018, 09:06:14 pm »
For the BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 body kit, you need an old Graham Farish Black Five 4-6-0. Best would be a later model with the blackened wheels. The chassis of these can be DCC-fitted. The most expensive option would be a new GF Black Five 4-6-0 but you'd have much better wheels and, I think they have a split chassis if not completely DCC-ready.

well i got a new version black 5 which iv had for a number of years, which is no good to me as a black 5 anymore, so would it be that donor loco and a 4mt tender chassis?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2018, 11:26:41 pm »
Dr Al!

i have a question, i have a langly standard 4 body kit lieing around somewhere, and would love to have 75029 in br green on my layout.

what other pieces do i need and how much would you charge for a commision?

You need an old tool Farish Black 5 - the Langley kit is designed for this. The new tool one is no good, as the driving wheel size is too large.

Commissions are not cheap, and currently I am not taking anything on as I have others to finish at present.

Regards,
Alan

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2018, 07:58:06 am »
Thanks for this, Dr. Al: "The new tool one is no good, as the driving wheel size is too large." I did not know that. Fortunately, I have bought an old tool Graham Farish Black 5 to provide a DCC-fitted (by Douglas, at Wickness Models) chassis for the Langley BR Standard 4MT kit, which I am about to buy to make an Exmouth Junction allocated example in BR Lined Green.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:15 am »
Thanks for this, Dr. Al: "The new tool one is no good, as the driving wheel size is too large." I did not know that. Fortunately, I have bought an old tool Graham Farish Black 5 to provide a DCC-fitted (by Douglas, at Wickness Models) chassis for the Langley BR Standard 4MT kit, which I am about to buy to make an Exmouth Junction allocated example in BR Lined Green.

Remember the Standard 5MT is basically a standard black 5 - so putting (essentially) the same wheels on a 4MT would result in something that wouldn't look remotely correct - it'd look like a small boilered 5MT.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2018, 10:02:08 am »

Remember the Standard 5MT is basically a standard black 5 - so putting (essentially) the same wheels on a 4MT would result in something that wouldn't look remotely correct - it'd look like a small boilered 5MT.

Cheers,
Alan

If you could source them, the 4MT (2-6-4) wheels could be used but you'd loose the traction tires. Alternative N class wheels could be used but they are underscale for the N class to fit under the splashers. Also the 5MT chassis block closely follows the shape of the 5MT boiler very closely and the motor is mounted quite high so there isn't much metal that could be removed to fit a smaller boiler.

I did look at designing a 4MT a little while back but rejected the 5MT for these reasons and have yet to identify a good enough donor chassis from the modern options available to warrant making a start.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2018, 10:26:49 am »
If you could source them, the 4MT (2-6-4) wheels could be used but you'd loose the traction tires. Alternative N class wheels could be used but they are underscale for the N class to fit under the splashers. Also the 5MT chassis block closely follows the shape of the 5MT boiler very closely and the motor is mounted quite high so there isn't much metal that could be removed to fit a smaller boiler.

I did look at designing a 4MT a little while back but rejected the 5MT for these reasons and have yet to identify a good enough donor chassis from the modern options available to warrant making a start.

The 2-6-4T doesn't have tyres I don't think. If N wheels are underscale, then they may end up no better than the overscale 5MT wheels given that in reality the N wheels are smaller than those on the 4MT.

But honestly - this is all too much (effort and expense) for rapidly diminishing returns IMHO, particularly for me already having two (and two more to be built) - the old Black 5 chassis is still pretty good, getting 95% of the way there, with the major inaccuracy being the spacing of the front two drivers. This however, is a little less immediately visible with the valve gear standing in front of it. Also, fitting a metal body over a metal split chassis is also not an enviable task - the chance for shorting out is very high - getting a newer chassis under that would need a load of milling out at very least.

Indeed the old Black 5s I have run better than the new tool models, particularly at crawl speeds. These chassis I've gleaned from old black 5's that now have Duchess chassis under them, and these also run better than the new tool models I have.

Frankly, with the Langley 4MT kit that can make a decent model if detailed (as hopefully mine show), it's not worth designing a replacement IMHO. I'd ultimately be very surprised if one of the manufacturers don't take this on at some point too.

One are I'd consider uprating on my models are the slide bars and crosshead, but it's not a priority enough that I've even looked into possible alternatives (maybe old Farish A3?).

Cheers,
Alan

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: October 02, 2018, 02:18:57 pm »
dammit...and i suck at these things lol, half the stuff i attempt ends up going off to someone where i pay more to get it rectified than it would to have it commissioned lol

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here