!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jennings Quay  (Read 24183 times)

Offline Jordash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Jennings Quay
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:22:57 pm »
So I've finally started construction on my layout  :claphappy:

This is based on the plan as per this thread:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20701.30

I have spent a few evenings this week trying out a Metcalfe kit, here are the results:

These are just placed next to one another to get a feel for how it could look.

On Saturday I got pretty much the entire day to myself. So I started the actual construction. I had produced a 1400 x 400 baseboard some time ago, but never really got anywhere. I finished off the baseboard and then got cracking.

As you may be able to tell from the name (a fictional name combining my wife's name and the fact that ints an Inglenook design with a bit of it's location) Jennings Quay, I intend to has a section of water with a boat waiting to be loaded. As such I needed to add some height to the track bed. So I decided to try insulation foam board. I got Kingspan type stuff, but peeled of the foil as I was concerned about it shorting bare wires.

The foam is 50mm thick and I still need to cut out the lower water section.

I soon realised that I had no idea where to start! So I thought it made sense to position the points, then fit in the flex track around them. I printed off a 1:1 track plan, then traced it with a scalpel, which marked it nicely into the foam.

At this point I realised the turnouts need work before they can be installed. After reading the book recently released by MERG I went about isolating the frogs and linking the main rail and port rail for either side. I also added 3 droppers, left rail, right rail and frog.

I drilled through the foam and baseboard and dropped the turnouts into place.

I am intending on using servos to control the turnouts, so I ordered servos from eBay and holders & micro switches from MERG. I'm currently unsure whether these will be mounted in the foam or under the baseboard with long link wires through the foam. Therefore until I get those bits I can't glue anything down.

I'm also guessing I really should put down some brown and grey base coats on the foam before sticking anything down.

Anyway once I'd got the turnouts done, the bits of flex track were relatively easy. I also have out droppers on every piece of track. I've still not decided 100% on DC or DCC. This is such a small layout and I only have a single loco DCC seems somewhat expensive, having said that this could make a single module of a much larger layout eventually. Either way I intend to use the MERG CBUS system for controlling point motors and lighting (which I intend to add a fair bit of).

Here is my progress so far:

This week I have another Metcalfe kit to build, whilst I wait for the servos and mounting kits to arrive.

P.S. not sure that the station section is long enough, so may extend it up towards the top left corner.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:18:52 pm by Jordash, Reason: Images moved to forum album »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Jennings Quay
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »
Looking good!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:00 pm »
The MERG Cbus system is great for layout control, however there are dedicated DCC units for turnout control which might prove an easier fix for your layout as you don't have many and assuming you go DCC.

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:29:59 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm keen to have a go at some of the MERG kits for a couple of reasons:
1. Cost, they are significantly cheaper than an off the shelf product
2. And this is far more important than 1, I really enjoy electronics, I got into it a couple of years ago being guitar effects pedals and this is another way of scratching that itch!

The idea is to control as much of the layout as possible from either a pc/tablet and/or a mimic panel. As mentioned previously there will be lighting in different places and I'll probably build in train on track indicators.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:56:07 am »
I agree with your thoughts about the station as the bit of track in the top LH corner really only needs to be long enough to hold the longest loco you'll be using + a buffer stop in order to run round any stock in the station/loop. :hmmm:

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »
Ok, I'll change that this evening.

Next thought, do I put foam underlay under the track. I have already purchased a load back when I was planning a much bigger unit. I don't think I need it for sound insulation, but are there any other reasons it might be useful?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:34 pm »
Difficult to answer that without knowing more about the foam underlay.
Lots of folks say the Peco stuff disintegrates after a period of time and some reckon the Gaugemaster stuff is better. Personally I believe too must dust results from foam underlay, hence one of the reasons I went for 1.5mm commercial grade rubber :hmmm:

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:27:23 pm »
The foam I've used as a base is celutex stuff with the foil removed. I'm started to see what you mean about the dust, although I'm hoping the paint should seal that. The track underlay I have is the woodlands scenic track bed stuff.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:29 pm »
The foam I've used as a base is celutex stuff with the foil removed. I'm started to see what you mean about the dust, although I'm hoping the paint should seal that. The track underlay I have is the woodlands scenic track bed stuff.

The thick peel-able foil covering is great for producing scenic contours. I've used it as a base/former for tunnel lift off sections.

Dave G

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:59:54 am »
Great advice, glad I kept it now!

Here is the modified station section:

And here is the start of the station, which is actually the parcel office and waiting room kit from Metcalfe:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:22:00 pm by Jordash, Reason: Images moved to forum album »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 01:47:38 pm »
Crème Egg? CREME EGG! ???
You need a forum mug, sir ;)

I'm sure the longer loop and station line will prove better for you :thumbsup:

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:58 pm »
Yes indeed, where indeed could I find a forum mug?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »

They can be found in the NGF shop on the N'Porium (see main toolbar).
None are shown at present but more stock is expected in the next couple of days :D

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 09:50:09 pm »
We're all Forum Mugs  :laugh3: :laugh3:
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:25 pm »
The forum mugs are now back on the N'porium  :claphappy:

cheers John.

Please Support Us!