!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults  (Read 43144 times)

Offline shandy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21565
    • Awards
Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:49:21 am »
I've got a couple of Dapol Panniers from the first batch - 6739 and 9659. I had some initial difficulty which I put down to inconsistent pickup and this seemed to improve after a lot of running in.

However, yesterday I was running them and they have both started to develop "jerky" behaviour - one (9659) is worse than the other but they are both suffering from the problem. I thought I might need to do some track maintenance and cleaned the layout and the loco wheels, although other locos were running without difficulty.

Tried them again running light engine and on the continuous run under they would run, but still had the surging behaviour, I was running 9659 at medium power and it stalled, - there seems to be some resistance in the mechanism and I'll have to strip it down today to investigate.

These locos haven't done a lot of running - less than 10 hours each and were run in and lubricated as per Dapol's instructions, I'd expect a longer life than that before a breakdown.

I've cancelled my pre-order of 2S-007-003 as a consequence.

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:56:23 am »
I have also the 2S-007-003 on order and now is it worth waiting for the Farish Panniers to come out, this is not very good for Dapol , a bit annoyed because any loco is not cheap, and surely 10 hours before the loco is not good enough and I personally would send it back as surely it is not fit for purpose.
Geoff

Offline Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:14:43 am »
I have three Dapol panniers (ND204A, D and 2S-007-002), the two I have from the earlier batch have been run for a fair bit and I haven't seen any of the  issues you report (will keep an eye on them though).  Can I suggest you contact Dapol directly I am sure they will be helpful.  I still aim to get the one that has just arrived ( green with British Railways branding).

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:32 am »
Thanks for the heads up.
I had a 2S-007-004 on pre-order from Hattons that I was already dubious about as so far I am not over impressed with Dapol anyway and have now cancelled this order.

I too would return the engines as not fit for purpose if I had the same problems as you are having.

Shame.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:09 am »
One of my 3 early GW Dapol panniers now almost refused to run, jerks, stutters etc, very disappointed.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:45:28 am »
Surely the Panniers were released after Dapol introduced their 2 year 'no quibble' guarantee. Return them to DC Supplies to be sorted. Dapol are only aware of problems if the locos get returned. If they don't get returned and pre orders are cancelled we are the losers in the end.
It is annoying when your loco gives up the ghost but Dapol have one of the best guarantees out there. Make use of it. Who knows, if it is a problem that develops over time Dapol may be able to engineer it out of the next batch but only if they get returned in the first place so they know.
Sorry, my post seems to have turned into a rant, it wasn't meant to!
Gareth

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:49:03 am »
I invalidated my guarantee when I savaged the insides to put sound in them otherwise I would send them back.  :doh:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:09:52 am »
Very sorry to read about the Dapol pannier problems. I have one (bought on eBay): ND204D BR Plain Black Late Crest, which I never run as it is awaiting sending off for DCC fitting but I have a surplus of Graham Farish 57XX pannier tanks (5 Grafar ones) and Wadebridge only ever had a pair of 57XXs at any one time so even if I have all 4 of the pannier tanks ever allocated to Wadebridge I still have one Grafar spare to sell. If I keep the Dapol then I would have 2 spare Grafars to sell. (But, I was planning to have just two BR Plain Black Late Crest 57XXs: 4666 and 4694, one Dapol and one Grafar, with a preserved one (running number undecided) in GWR livery (Grafar) based at Bodmin General GWS depot. So that would mean 3 spare Grafars to sell.)

Offline shandy

• N Gauge Society Number: 21565
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:41 am »
Surely the Panniers were released after Dapol introduced their 2 year 'no quibble' guarantee. Return them to DC Supplies to be sorted. Dapol are only aware of problems if the locos get returned. If they don't get returned and pre orders are cancelled we are the losers in the end.
It is annoying when your loco gives up the ghost but Dapol have one of the best guarantees out there. Make use of it. Who knows, if it is a problem that develops over time Dapol may be able to engineer it out of the next batch but only if they get returned in the first place so they know.
Sorry, my post seems to have turned into a rant, it wasn't meant to!
Gareth

They are covered by the guarantee so I'll contact DCC supplies tomorrow. I've refrained from stripping the locos I'll see what they have to say.

I'm sure Dapol are aware of the QC issues that they have there's lots of comments on this, and other forums, on the issue. I'll be waiting to see how the Farish pannier compares before making any further purchases.

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:31 am »
Since buying the Dapol 57xx's most of my Grafar ones are relinquished to the Claywell sched at static objects, might have to resurrect a couple if I get any more problems.

Offline lionwing

• If you have nothing nice to say then keep quiet!
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:28:18 am »
I have the same problem with a "6739".

DCC supplies will get a call from me tomorrow as well.

:beers:
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:13 pm »
If my experiences are anything to go by, this is all due to pickup problems.

The phosphor bearings were very loose in the chassis sides on a couple of mine (first batch BR liveried ones, not sure the numbers). Conduction is therefore not perfect (chassis sides are painted so less conduction area also), and also oil can work between the chassis frames and the bearings.

I stripped one down and cleaned it all out, reassembled and saw an immediate difference. But it gradually went back to the same surging, stuttering performance, so I stripped it down again and pinched the bearings at one position to make them fit tightly into the chassis sides, and also cleaned the wheel hubs with fibre tipped pencil to remove the chemical blackening here too. I checked to the gear meshing - I think one wheelset was set a tooth out as compared the others meaning a slight wobble.

This seems to have cured it - but the phosphor bearings do concern me as a concept - they are simply not easy to clean at all as compared wiper pickups. Loco has in total had probably no more than 8 hours running.

The motors on these seem a bit variable in terms of stickyness too - of the 3 I've got some are stickier than others. They do seem to improve and quieten with running.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:27 pm »
DCC Supplies are very helpful and most probably very busy!!! I agree with sending the locos back if possible.

I haven't run my LT version very often, so I'll have my fingers crossed.

I have a couple of Dapol locos that didn't run at all well after a few months idle, they ran very jerkily but ran normally after a light oiling of the gears.

I've never quite understood why locos with plastic gears need oiling, does anyone know why?

Regards

Veronica

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:01 pm »
Hmm. Not wanting to strip a model loco. down, I think I'll stick to Grafar pannier tanks then. I'll see what Douglas of Wickness has to say about the condition of my Dapol one when I send it for DCC fitting as he also fixes such problems to ensure the model runs smoothly after DCC fitting. Not a very good advert. for Dapol.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 02:34:08 pm »
I've never quite understood why locos with plastic gears need oiling, does anyone know why?

Because the UK manufacturers use cheap (and in Bachmanns case positively nasty) gears. You can produce self lubricating plastic gear chains and some of the Japanese models do this, but such gears cost a tiny bit more. Mind you they don't split either if designed properly  :veryangry:

So basically it's "because the vendors are cheapskates" or "because UK modellers are skinflints" depending upon where you draw the line 8-)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here