!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Alternative to using plastic rail insulating joiners  (Read 3755 times)

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Alternative to using plastic rail insulating joiners
« on: July 31, 2011, 04:29:36 pm »
Hi  All.  

On another thread Poliss reminded me how i   use a different method to  plastic rail  joiners  on points  & fill  the gap   normal joiners  leave,  i  use plasticard  small   pieces on  all  4 rails of  the  although only the 'V'  needs to   be done if you prefer.

Thought i'd leave  the method here as well   easier to find in future here goes ...............

I  use  30-40   thou  plasticard lay  your track  as normal push up  the  point  to the rail  ajoining  trapping a piece  of plasticard after gluing the track  down  go back  and  mix  up  a batch  of epoxy enough to do a few  joins  remove the plastic &  with a toothpick apply a  little glue to the plastic insert in the  gap  allow it to go off overnight.

Fit a  new blade  into  your favorite craft knife a round  blade does work  well for this operation  now carefully pare   away the plastic to  match  the profile of the rails ensure especially the top & inner   surfaces are even   keep  trimming & testing with a piece of rolling stock   until  satisfied  :) weather  /match   to  surrounnding rails & your done   ;)   a word on SAFETY  though while  trimming  the  plastic  wear eye protection  as a precaution if the blade is under pressure &  snaps  they are a dangerous missile.

Please dont think  about sanding the join  as you will  end up with  thousands of scratches on the rails &   a dirt trap   causing problems in future.  

Picture  below shows  before trimming  hope it  conveys the method,   the inner point half  of the rails have been done  the outer point  the white of the plastic  can just be seen  if you look carefully  awaiting weathering.

Offline Tin Man

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Alternative to using plastic rail insulating joiners
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:26:04 am »
Thank you for this post about an alternative to using insulating rail joiners.  The usual insulated rail joiners that are available are so soft and flexible that the rail often come out of them soon or later and they just seem so glaringly obvious when in use.  I am definitely try your method.

Many Thanks

David

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:18 am »
Hi  David,   

Many  thanks for your reply let me know how you go  on  with  trying the   method   ..... a  note on  fitting the plasticard   mark   where the  plasticard touches the board & cut a groove/slot   in the board for the plastic  to  slot into  if   possible  the   extra  fixing point will  give more strngth to the   insulator   when  you  come to   glueing.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:50:19 pm by upnick »

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »
Fair play for doing something different to the norm, but it seems an awful lot of trouble just to avoid IRJs?  :worried:

. . . they just seem so glaringly obvious when in use. 

Not once the track is properly ballasted and weathered  ;)

Paul

Offline Karyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 23870
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »
When laying the track/piont, how do you ensure the rail on either side of the card is the same height so you don't get a bump?

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:32:04 pm »
When laying the track/piont, how do you ensure the rail on either side of the card is the same height so you don't get a bump?

Hi  Karyn,   

Welcome to the forum   :)

Where the Track /  point  would  meet with an  insulated joiner normally i   leave a gap   enough for the tihckness   of plasticard    &  make sure the height of the rails is level  with  a   piece of  80   thou  plasticard  on it's edge over the rails gap .&  run  my eye over it for level ..........   any  slope  i  correct  with packing under the sleepers if it  should need it.   

Overall depending  if your lying the  track   directly on the boards or on  closed cell  foam   track  bed it  should be level  unless there is any  gradient involved  &  shouldnt present a problem.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:43 pm »
 :welcomesign: Karyn - great to have you on board!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Karyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 23870
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:23:21 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes.  :thankyousign:

I'll try the plasticard method when I get around to track laying.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
Looks like a good idea. I must admit I have always found those Peco nylon things to be a bit of a pain. Oh, and welcome from Australia, Karyn!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 04:52:51 pm »
*BUMP*

I knew I'd seen this idea somewhere on the forum in the dim and distant past!

I've started doing this, and have had varying degrees of success.  I think it's worth having a go though, since Peco plastic rail joiners do tend to work their way out eventually, although I now super glue them in place to try and prevent that happening. 

Thanks again for this novel idea, and I'm glad I've rediscovered it!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here