!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiny steam engines  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Tiny steam engines
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »
I chose this quiet board because this thread spans all places and eras.

The Rail topic that is dearest to me is little steam engines, particularly old, odd ones.

It is an area that is challenging in N scale. I have managed to collect a few types, though not all fit in the "old odd" catagory, but we cant be picky.

I put the two German ones together, otherwise, they are in order of horsepower.
The Dapol Terrier is well know here, next is MicroAce model of a 3'6" gauge Sharp's export of 1873, that ran on Japan's first railway.
Everyone loves the Minitrix Glaskasten. The arnold BR89.7 "Oldtime" steam engine, c.1878.  Bachmann USA "dock tank" c.1912

so what else is out there in this category? please share you four and six wheelers.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:39:08 pm by Jonathan Clapp »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Tiny steam engines
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:17 am »
The Fleischmann BR 80 is pretty small - and an excellent performer also.

Oddly the website shows it with silvered wheels and motion - but more recent Fleischmann is all blackened (mine is at any rate!).

http://www.fleischmann.de/produkteshop/uebersicht/detail/cat/8592/d/3/p/9050,8592,8301/pr/dampflokomotive-br-80-der-db.html

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:06 am »
There are a few UK ones, some are quite rare

RTR there is the Minitrix Dock Tank, the Farish Austerity/J94 and the Dapol 14xx

- Peco did an Avonside and a B4 both for now very obscure chassis and they tend to command silly money. The former will fit the N Drive Productions 0-4-0 chassis
- There is a little Graham Hughes CR tank out of production that fits the dock tank 0-6-0 chassis (Minitrix one), these also go for silly money and I've only ever seen pictures of it
- ABS/Beaver did a few
  - GWR 1369, although not too accurately proportioned but for the dock chassis
  - ex GCR 0-6-0 class 5A side tank (J63), dock chassis. I have one of these I'm currently painting up
- Dean Sidings do a 517 class

- Chivers did (maybe do if asked nicely) a USA tank (my somewhat naff build of it)

- N Brass do an 0-4-0 Peckett/SHT style to fit one version of the USA dock tank

And there are diesels of course 8)

- Worsley Works 02 (currently on temporary chassis bits and non powered)

- Part built 48DS (definitely non powered and truely tiny)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline poliss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:20:27 am »
I have the Glaskasten of course, also this Arnold BR 80 with automatic uncoupling.

I keep trying to buy a Fleischmann 0-4-0, but I'm always outbid by OO9ers.  >:(

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »
Pictures of a few more of the little 0-6-0s

Firstly the ABS kit for 1369, still I believe available but only direct from ABS at shows (eg NEC). It's a little geometrically challenged but very well designed and easy to build.

Next up is the ABS ex Great Central 5A - LNER J63. This one I picked up in a box of bits and it's so far been assembled and had its buffer beams painted. I'm still trying to decide if I should attempt to line it in GCR lined freight livery, which would be tricky as it also needs custom decals.

And third is a mystery shot

Need to dig out the photo I have of the BHE J70 (aka Toby)

And another continental diesel four wheeler. This one is extraordinarily small, and is an Arnold model - its motorised too !

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here