!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Houghtonbrook  (Read 19994 times)

Offline willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
Houghtonbrook
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:28:53 am »
For quite some time Ive been wanting to build a layout that would allow me to run full-length goods trains in an urban setting that captures a little of the complexity of railway infrastructure between the end of steam and the major track rationalization works that subsequently took place.

As my first, very modest essay - Lowbeck Hall East - approached completion, I started to design an ambitious layout that would allow me to do this and which could be expanded on a modular basis to provide other aspects of railway operations that interest me. As a result I have designed a three-stage project with an overall footprint of 6m50 by 2m20, which I estimate will take about 10 years to complete.  The layout is designed to be fully dismountable primarily in case of house moves, but this also opens up the possibility of exhibiting parts of it.

The layout is intended to provide the possibility of covering a twenty-year time period, from 1965 to 1985, which would allow three distinct eras of operation as my rolling stock collection expands: i) 1965/68 twilight of steam and green diesels and traditional freight operations; ii) 1969/74 green/blue diesels TOPs transition and mixed traditional/modernised freight operations; and iii) 1975/85 modernised freight operations up to the start of sectorisation.

The three construction stages are outlined below:

Stage 1: Double track main line with goods loops, yards and sidings (5m00 by 0.60m).This part of the layout will represent the approach to a middle sized industrial town with high and low level goods yards as well as a fan of 5 sorting sidings for reception/expedition of local goods traffic. It is designed to accommodate the running of trains of up to 30 MGR wagons in length and will be served by an 8-road fiddle yard. Im aiming to complete this stage by the end of 2016.

Stage 2: Pit exchange sidings with hidden access and storage to allow realistic full/empty wagon movements to take place without the need to add/remove loads. To be constructed from 2017 to 2019.

Stage 3: Medium-sized terminus station with parcels facilities and small DMU depot. Access boards from Stage 1 will include a reversing loop. To be constructed from 2020 to 2022.

I started work a few months ago on building the first baseboards, which are lightweight units of a maximum length of 1m20, built from 10 mm and 5 mm plywood sheet. Some track laying and associated wiring and testing have also been done.  After a first successful experience of DCC, I will be staying with this means of control, though Ive not yet decided which system to use. Given the eventual size and complexity of the layout and the fact that Im a lone modeller, some sort of computer control will probably be necessary.  I will also be exploring the use of DCC-fitted Cobalt point motors and the new Dapol coupling system as reliable hands-off shunting is a major priority.

I'll shortly post a plan and some photos of the advancing construction work.

As promised, and many thanks to Tank for sorting out my kackhandedness, here is the plan:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:56:45 pm by willike1958 »

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
Re: Houghtonbrook
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:54:23 am »
Looks like this one is going to be one to watch....  Good luck with the project and keep the updates flowing..........
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:02:49 pm »
Looking forward to seeing progress with this one
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:00:41 pm »
Thanks for your comments, guys. I've added the the layout plan to the original post.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:29:24 pm »
Flippin' 'eck that's some long-term plan!  :goggleeyes:

Stage 1 looks a pretty good design, look forward to the first update piccies  :)

Paul

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:39:22 pm »
Many thanks for the comments. A 10 year planning horizon years is indeed a long time and I would of course like for things to move forward more quickly, but I've tried to be realistic about how much time I have available given work and family commitments. My first milestone is to have Stage 1 (Houghtonbrook) track laid and wired and connected to the fiddle yard by the end of 2013, so I will be able to enjoy seeing some trains running albeit without any scenery. I've managed to do quite a bit of work during the Xmas break, so here are a few photos where things are as of today.

This first picture provides a view of the high-level goods yard and the 1 in 50ish bank that rises from the curve to the fiddle yard.

Here is a photo of Class 31 and brakevan on the Down Goods Line coming up the bank.

This picture shows the area where the Up Reception/Departure Sidings will situated.

The next shot shows the light-weight construction of the baseboard and supporting legs. Once the cross-bracing is in place, the whole thing is remarkably rigid.

The two final pictures show the first part of the wiring work. The bus rails are self-adhesive copper strips that I've found are extremely easy to use. The current along the bus rails passes from one board to the next through washers glued to the end board and then via connecting bolts. I think that this is a rather neat solution and I'd be interested to know from anyone who has used this method whether it has a downside.

I'll post some more pictures when further progress has been made.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »
Looking good so far.
Happy New Year
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:29:39 pm »
Copper strip never crossed my mind :-[
A tad late for me but thanks for posting that :thumbsup:

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:52 pm »
Scrap brass from etched kits with a pair of holes drilled and screwed also makes great solder points
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:19:56 pm »
wow...what a layout. I can't wait to see this develop.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »

Hi there

Great looking layout so far!  Where do you get the copper strip from?

cheers

Ben A.

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 05:09:28 am »
Hi Ben,
Thanks for your comment. I got the copper strip from Osborn's Models: http://www.osbornsmodels.com/expo-220-80-self-adhesive-copper-track-2380-p.asp
Kevin

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:20:42 am »

Hello Kevin

Thanks for the info about the copper strip.  That looks like a very useful product!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline bees

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »
My word, a really good looking project, i'm really looking forward to this, good luck with it and please keep us posted mate!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP