Black Friday Nonsense

Started by Bigric, November 28, 2014, 12:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigric

Absolutely SICK TO DEATH of hearing about Black Friday sales etc etc . Over-Americanisation gone mad , jumped on by the retail industry . Bah , HUMBUG !!! Ric   PS just seen Cyber Monday coming up.....Heaven help us !

port perran

It's like Halloween.
Anything American - Forget and Ignore It.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

From what I saw on the news this morning it's an excuse for people to act like savages in order to buy cheap tat ::)

dutchkev

Quote from: newportnobby on November 28, 2014, 12:44:29 PM
From what I saw on the news this morning it's an excuse for people to act like savages in order to buy cheap tat ::)

Why are dapol selling off the panniers cheap ???:laugh:
Kev.

Agrippa

When the tag started to appear on the internet I thought it was something to do
with JFK's assassination. However it's just another preXmas sale gimmick not
worth getting worked up about.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Chetcombe

With respect guys, I think you should blame your UK retailers rather than America / Americans :( Remember today is the day after Thanksgiving which for most of the country is a holiday. As such it has always marked the unofficial start to Christmas and it probably isn't surprising that it is the biggest shopping day of the year. As for Cyber Monday, well that is just marketing hype :D

For me, if it means Hattons et al have a few extra offers, then bring it on!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Malc

I went to tesco to see what all the fuss about Black Friday was about and got a bit carried away by the spirit of the crowd.

I managed to get myself three handbags, two purses, a wallet and a set of pensioners false teeth before the police arrived.

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Geoff

From what I have seen on the news I am glad I was in work, missing all the fights in store.
Geoff

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Chetcombe on November 28, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
With respect guys, I think you should blame your UK retailers rather than America / Americans :(

Well considering that most of our big retailers are owned by American Corporations, then of course we can blame you lot over the pond  :P :P :P

You're right, it is our retailers that are seeing an opportunity to try and rake in some extra pre-xmas money, but also considering that today is payday for most people as well, or millionaires weekend as it is was called in the Forces.

Regards

Neal.

EtchedPixels

And never forget a "sale" simply means it was all overpriced for the 28 days before
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jon898

Quote from: Chetcombe on November 28, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
As for Cyber Monday, well that is just marketing hype :D

The next piece of marketing hype over here after Cyber Monday is "Small Business Saturday" which is meant to encourage you to support your local businesses the day after Black Friday.  The drumbeat on that one has been getting louder in recent years.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's a move for the UK to celebrate July 4th so fireworks can be sold for four months  :o .

longbridge

Crikey and I thought Aussie retailers were desperate, if we get that kind of rubbish over here we can blame you Brits.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Only Me on November 28, 2014, 04:28:40 PM

PS As for cheap tat, I think it really does depend on where you shop!!

Yeah - like they knock down stuff that regularly sells and keep the rubbish that doesn't at the high prices :P
All the ads I saw on the telly were for electrical appliances I wouldn't touch with someone else's bargepole :no:

lil chris

The Police had to bail them out too according to tonights new's, when they could not control the crowds buying all the trash.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

DesertHound

Quote from: newportnobby on November 28, 2014, 12:44:29 PM

No need for an excuse Mick, just get down to your local high street on any day of the week to see that.

When I saw reference to Black Friday the other day, I thought the stock market had crashed!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations