I'm a total novice and don't really know where to start with wiring DCC.

Started by fudduk, October 25, 2017, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fudduk

Hi all,

I'm completely new to model railways and have more or less no experience with electrics (challenge set!).  I have read the Richard Bardsley book, which has helped me to understand track laying and ballasting, however, I found it really confusing with regard to wiring.

I've spent a lot of time over the last 2 days reading articles and watching videos to do with wiring and, whilst I've learned a lot, I still feel like I really don't know what I'm doing.

I'll split this into a) what I want to do and b) what I think I know so far:

a)  In an ideal world, what I'd like to do is to run a DCC setup where I can control the locos and the turnouts from the controller.  If that's really difficult or not realistic, I could use switches for the points.

b)  I'm pretty confident that I understand about how to put in a bus wire and feeder wires to the track.  I think I've made the decision that I want to use tortoise turnout motors (or an equivalent) or an equivalent and I'm pretty confident with wiring those up to the track.  What I'm not sure about is basically everything else.  I feel like I need almost a shopping list because I'm getting lost with what I need.  It probably isn't but it feels like it's different on every website.

I feel like if I could get some clarity over what I needed to buy, I could then focus in a little on how to actually do it.  For now, there just seem to be too many options.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.  Much appreciated.

Iain

texhorse

Hi Iain, and welcome to the forum.

While I'm certainly not an expert on wiring, first have you decided which DCC system you are going to buy?  If it's a basic set such as NCE Powercab or Digitrax, then we know where to go. 

Also, do you know the difference between Electrofrog points and Insulfrog points?  Are you even using Peco points?

I don't want to bamboozle you with stuff right now, but if you let us have this information, then we can narrow a few things down for you, and give you more accurate advice.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

fudduk

Thanks Andy.

I don't know what DCC system I'm going to buy.  I hadn't even got that far.  I'm happy to take recommendations. 

I am using Peco points but I haven't bought them yet.  I do know the difference between Electrofrog and Insulfrog points but I don't really know what the benefits of each type are.

Thanks so much (I did say that I was a novice ;))

Iain

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Iain, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

I'm an old DC Dino, but you'll get plenty of interactive advice here. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Welcome aboard Iain! :wave:

I'd recommend starting off by getting a small oval of Kato Unitrack and a point or two. That's what I did and I found the theory easier to digest when I could apply it as I read it.

njee20

Each to their own and that, but personally I wouldn't bother with a loop of Kato track etc unless that's where you want to go long term. There's nothing overly daunting with Peco track. If you want to use motors like Tortoises then learning about Kato points teaches you little.

Controlling locos and points from a controller is definitely the mainstay of DCC, so no issue there. The primary advantage of DCC point control is that you can set 'routes' moving multiple sets of points with a single button press. If you're not too worried by that then I'd suggest sticking with 'normal' point control using switches of your choice.

You seem to have a reasonable idea already, so I guess the first (major) decision from here is which DCC system you want to use. Barring a few very basic ones  they'll all do what you want. Ideally I'd suggest trying a few and seeing what you like, as there's a huge range of form factors and prices, with no right or wrong answer. You have very tactile systems like Digitrax and ZTC, which have physical buttons and levers, you have touchscreen options like ACE or ECoS (the latter admittedly is a combination), or those which utilise your existing phone or tablet, such as the Roco Z21.

Beyond that it's really about starting somewhere. Do you know how much space you've got? You can buy a small baseboard (you can get kits if you're not fond of woodworking) and set up a small 'test' layout, or you can just crack on in earnest. Obviously that can be a bit daunting, and failures can be more expensive if done on a larger scale.

daffy

Hi Iain, and welcome to the Forum.

As you will have already noted there will be varying views of what track to use, but before you buy a thing make sure you have a clear idea just how complex - or not - you want make your layout, what your current and future plans are (e.g, expandability), and what track system best suit your needs.

The wiring of Peco track is a little more involved than with Kato, and the latter has its proponents and its opponents, but it does benefit from ease of use and connection.

There are plenty of good tutorials on the Forum about different aspects, and it would be worth your while looking at the photos and videos of layouts members have posted to see what is possible.

I make no secret of the fact that I prefer Kato for its simplicity, and I am not alone in this view. It's pre- ballasted track bed can look incongruous, but can be disguised relatively easily, and though Kato produce a limited choice of points/turnouts, and it has a limited set of track sections, it can be readily connected to other track makes if the need arises.

As a great example of what can be achieved with Kato track take a look at the fine videos this member has produced - the link in the post I'm directing you to will take you to YouTube and there you can choose from his many excellent diary videos of the layout's development:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10753.msg470421#msg470421

But don't let any one members preferences sway you, which are inevitably based on their own needs, experience, and ability - take a long hard look at many layouts of all types, and the costs, limitations, and requirements for the individual track systems, all of which are suitable for either DC or DCC operation.

And ask away if you have any queries or things you are not sure of - we are all here to help.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Hi Iain, and welcome to the forum :wave:
What I know about DCC could be writ large on the head of a pin, but this little piece may help you in other respects.......
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

I agree with others who suggest you trial as many systems as possible, so if you can get along to a show it would be a good place to start. One of the biggest comes up 25/26th November at Warley.

texhorse

I'll echo what others have said as well Iain.

Always best to try out DCC systems.  I don't know if you are anywhere near Lincoln, but if you are, a visit to Digitrains is a good place to start.  They have several DCC systems on a layout which you can actually try out for yourself, with their guidance.

Failing that, do you have a model railway club nearby, which would help?  They may also have a DCC system which you could play with.

Someone above mentioned about not being swayed by other people's preferences about which system to use.  I echo that, but there's no harm in doing what you are doing :  asking for help and advice.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

jthjth

This is what I'm doing for my own layout. My point motors are DCC Concepts Cobalt IP devices. These are slow motion tortoise like devices, but with a built in DCC decoder. They are easy to wire up and come with clear instructions. (These available on the vendor's website if you want to read up in advance) They may at first seem expensive, but if you add up the cost of a solenoid motor, switch contacts and DCC accessory decoders you soon get to that cost. I have an NCE Powercab, which is a pretty simple controller which will allow you to drive trains and operate the point motors. You could simply hook a point motor to the Powercab and convince yourself that you can operate it (ie no layout). Then hook up a second and check you can drive them individually. This builds confidence. My layout is ultimately going to be driven by a pi-sprog (http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/pisprog.shtml )which is a raspberry Pi based controller. It uses the free JMRI software to drive the points ( from a track plan you draw on the computer screen) and you can drive the trains from it as well. It is a bit hard to describe all that JMRI can do, and to be honest, the web pages are a bit impenetrable for a total beginner. I've found YouTube videos to be more helpful in understanding the concepts, and there are quite a number of them.

fudduk

Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm so grateful that you've all taken the time to give such detailed replies. I've been out and about since yesterday afternoon so haven't had a chance to really get into them. When I get home (tonight), I'll post a pic of my trackplan. It was created on SCARM using Peco track but I may look to recreate it with Kato. There have been some great points made about controllers. I may make a daytrip to Lincoln to check it out.

Thanks again all. I'll read everything in depth and click yje links when I get home.

Iain

bluedepot

fudduk

Thanks again to everyone for their replies.  I must be honest and say that I haven't even thought about what I'm going to run on it.  The plan was to build the track first, then start thinking about that (or is that a bad idea?)

My baseboard is roughly 5'x3' and my current trackplan is below.  This will be a slow project because I can only work on it when I have saved money for the next bit.  My plan is to do the double oval first and then wire it up.  Once that's all done, I'll get a loco to run on it to see that it all works before I do anything else.  All of the stuff on the right hand side is planned for much further down the line (no pun intended). 

ntpntpntp

Quote from: fudduk on October 26, 2017, 08:12:09 PM
The plan was to build the track first, then start thinking about [what to run on it] (or is that a bad idea?)

It's best to have some idea of the theme.   The first thing that came to my mind as an example was that if you were to decide after laying the trackwork that you like german railways rather than british  (as I do), then immediately things like crossovers between ovals would need to be facing the other way as the germans run on the right! 

Of course the golden rule applies that it's your railway and you can run whatever you like however you like!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations