The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: RST on April 21, 2017, 11:48:05 PM

I wonder how many folk keep falling for this sort of nonsence.

On a similar, but different vein, it is surprising how often a 'large' something works out dearer than buying the equivalent amount in smaller units   :hmmm: - 'they' must think we are stupid. However, I suppose somebody must be, cos 'they' keep doing it!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: dannyboy on April 22, 2017, 12:15:13 AM
.. it is surprising how often a 'large' something works out dearer than buying the equivalent amount in smaller units   :hmmm: - 'they' must think we are stupid.

Not necessarily stupid:  often that's simply down to overstock of the smaller packaging which needs to be cleared.   I notice this with packs of cola in supermarkets (I don't drink hot drinks so need something else to get me through a day at the office): generally the packs of 18 or 24 cans are best value (pence per litre) but occasionally they have deals on 8 can packs when they have whole pallets of 'em in stock.   Suits me, I just buy whichever works out cheapest.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

DELETED

Quote from: RST on April 21, 2017, 11:48:05 PM

I wonder how many folk keep falling for this sort of nonsence.

On a similar, but different vein, it is surprising how often a 'large' something works out dearer than buying the equivalent amount in smaller units   :hmmm: - 'they' must think we are stupid. However, I suppose somebody must be, cos 'they' keep doing it!

I think 90% of folk are stupid when it comes to buying -hence why marketing works so well.  I always check my label prices when I'm buying from shops these days but I'd say most don't.

dannyboy

Whilst I appreciate what ntpntpntp is saying, in that stores may have stock to get rid of, I believe it is more like what RST is saying - a lot of  people are stupid and/or gullible and they fall for the marketing and advertising.  SWMBO sometimes says to me that it is only a few cents/pence, (depending where we are shopping), but I do not like to think of the sellers trying to 'con' me. And don't get me on about the difference in prices between Northern and Southern Ireland  :veryangry: - but that is another story!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Steamie+

I agree with you dannyboy, we are all gullible in one way or other, i don't think we set out to be it's human nature. We can all look at prices and think wow that's cheap and lets face it we all do, then reality kicks in and we start thinking, hold on but these say this and these say that, then confusion kicks in and then all i want to do is get out of the store lol  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: But Tesco reducing the NowTv box by 1p, thats mind blowing isn't it.     :thumbsdown:

Ian Bowden

Buy one get second half price. When you get home you realise you won't have finished the first one when they are both out of date.

Steamie+

Quote from: Ian Bowden on April 22, 2017, 07:42:33 AM
Buy one get second half price. When you get home you realise you won't have finished the first one when they are both out of date.

:laughabovepost: Very good Ian.

Greybeema

Many shops (in the small print on the shelf label) will give price per unit (Litre, KG etc.) but you do have to make the effort to find it and read it and not just go by the price..

It's worth looking out for and saves on the mental arithmetic..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Yet_Another

Rather like most marketing, it's about making you feel good about what you're buying. If you think you've got a bargain, you'll feel good, and the shop feels good because they've made a bit more money. Win - win! :beers:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Steamie+

Quote from: Greybeema on April 22, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
Many shops (in the small print on the shelf label) will give price per unit

That's correct, but a bit of an effort for most to bend down on the really low shelf's though aren't they, i can't get back up if they are less then waist height lol.    :laugh3: :laugh3:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Steamie+ on April 23, 2017, 06:18:07 AM

That's correct, but a bit of an effort for most to bend down on the really low shelf's though aren't they, i can't get back up if they are less then waist height lol.    :laugh3: :laugh3:

I know the feeling. Chances are I'd end up rolling around like a tortoise on it's back :-[

Newportnobby

I can't read items that low down but I can pick some of them up. I just use my 83 year old Mum as a prop while I claw myself upright >:D
It's only fair as I have to reach the higher up stuff for her :)

Nick

Nothing new under the sun.

Once upon a long time ago, an nth cousin of mine, y times removed, had a corner shop in Aberfan.

He sold bars of posh soap for sixpence. This was around the time of the disaster, so pre-decimalisation.

He'd accidentally overbought, and couldn't shift them. So, he took them out of the window and bundled them up and put them back: "Special offer - four bars for two and sixpence". All gone in three days.

(For those of you too young to be versed in the base 12 arithmetic required in ye olden, pre-decimal currency, days, four bars were two shillings at the old price. Two and six would have bought you five bars individually. So he'd actually hiked the price by 25%.)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

broadsword

In a sort of similar vein sometimes when I go into WH Smith to
buy the latest edition of Practical Goatkeeping or whatever
when you take the mag or paper to the counter the assistant
offers you a giant bar of Dairy Milk or similar for a quid,
a bit strange and usually annoying.

Steamie+

Quote from: newportnobby on April 23, 2017, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: Steamie+ on April 23, 2017, 06:18:07 AM

I know the feeling. Chances are I'd end up rolling around like a tortoise on it's back :-[

:laughabovepost:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations