railsquid's 2014 European tour

Started by railsquid, October 15, 2014, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

In a couple of hours, assuming FGW's signalling problems don't result in further cancellations.

({deity of choice} will someone just give the entire railway system to Japan already...)

Bealman

Yes... I've been chatting from Australia, thinking, heck what time must it be there? Night squid!!  ;) ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Claude Dreyfus

Well, there was a rumour a little while ago JR East were looking at the Southern franchise. Sadly t'was not to be. Says he, currently enjoying the charms of the morning commute on a Southern train, wishing it was something a little more exciting than a class 377...

railsquid

Right, well I am now on a Chiltern train at Marylebone, as I have had enough hassle with FGW on previous trips to not make it worth the risk going the direct route, so will go via Birmingham, which will take me past some old stomping grounds I haven't been through in a while, which will be nice.

Happily Chiltern also has free wifi and power sockets  :thumbsup:

Meanwhile it's 2014 and the railway ticketing system is as bizarre as ever. The ticket machine quoted me a single ticket to Birmingham at about 49 quid, but not being sure what weird peak/offpeak rules are in place I queued at the ticket office and it turned out to be only 28 quid.

railsquid

And while I was waiting, not one but two loco-hauled (or loco-pushed) trains rolled in, which is kind of nice. Though it was bizarre to see one of the locomotives in bright red DB livery (this after observing that the RATP seems to run London's buses now...).

railsquid

Holy bicycle, the wifi even works in tunnels.

Newportnobby

Thanks for the pics.
Do you have a 'formal' itinerary in the UK or are you just mooching?

Bealman

WiFi in tunnels? Eek! You import Japanese tech!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: newportnobby on October 16, 2014, 09:40:18 AM
Thanks for the pics.
Do you have a 'formal' itinerary in the UK or are you just mooching?
I'm actually on my way to Madrid for a work-related conference, but taking a couple of days to go and visit my parents while I'm on the same continent. Just taking the opportunity to get some rail-related stuff in on the way. Apparently a friend of my parents is an N-gauger as well so a meeting has been arranged.

Anyway I must say I liked Chiltern Railways when I occasionally used them in the late 90's / early 2000's, and so far I have no reason to change that opinion. BTW Is it me or do they do seem to have speeded up the Birmingham trains? I'm sure it used to take well over 2 hours.

Malc

Don't speak too soon, you haven't got there yet.  :D
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

railsquid

Hence the "so far" qualifier ;)

I fully expect to be turfed out at the next station, or as this is now Leamington, for the train to dramatically break down and have to wait 5 hours to escape.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Are you on a DMU or relaxing in Mark 3 splendour behind a Chiltern Class 67?  If the latter, I'd strongly recommend http://www.videoscene.co.uk/commuter-trains-of-the-21st-century-1-class-67s.-blu-ray.html  as a souvenir of your visit 8)

railsquid

'Twas a DMU; I did see two Mk3 rakes pull in to Marylebone as I was about to depart (one of them appeared to be in something akin to BR blue/grey livery), and another at Moorgate. If I'd known about them earlier, I might have planned my journey differently. (Actually I barely planned the journey at all).

railsquid

OK, so where were we? Oh yes, on a train to Birmingham which I'd diverted myself onto due to an alarming number of FGW cancellations and delays due to the wrong kind of signalling works or something. The one on the right, to be precise:

My grandparents used to live in Princes Risborough so I am kind of familiar with the line, although the trains are much nicer and they zoom through Princes Risborough without stopping.

I am sure I glimpsed an olde-style "bubble car" in the bay platform for the Aylesbury line, but maybe that was my imagination?

Anyway I wanted to go to Birmingham, and they couldn't have taken me on to Crewe due to the fundamental lack of connectedness between this ex-GWR line and London-Midlandy northwards-pointing bits, so I alighted at Moor Street which is looking pleasingly station-like these days.

A helpful reminder in the gents:

I had about 90 minutes before my onwards train to Hereford, so took my suitcase on a quick walking tour of the city centre to see what had changed in the last couple of decades (last time I remember being there, I emerged from Moor Street to find that the old Bull Ring Centre had been turned into a very satisfying hole in the ground).

railsquid

Well, the Bull Ring Centre has been replaced by something that reminds me of this GDR-era department store, looming over one side of the station:

but which provides a nice pedestrianised extension to the main shopping area, especially as the ring road there, which I vaguely remember as a multi-lane thing crossable only by passage through grotty subways seems to have been built over or diverted or something.

(to be continued...)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations