how much £££ does this hobby owe you....

Started by matt-b, June 15, 2011, 07:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt-b

with all my mercig models and afew others, rake of megafrets etc... i think i`ll be pushing the £3k mark, which when i think about it, is crazy!

:NGaugeForum:

bluedepot

yeh it is mad.... i'm new to the hobby but already spent loads....

but then again, sky sports, football season tickets, alcohol, golf, flying..... whatever the hobby, they all cost a lot of money....

i do need to try and budget though!!!!

i think it's good to limit yourself to an era or region, and not buy new models that don't fit in with that just because you like them!!!! have some discipline!!! ha

tim

michael

given that its about 9 years since I took the hobby up again, I dread to think!!! thousands but as you say, other hobbys cost a lot to. For example you can buy a lot of trains for the same price as a set of golf bats  ;)

jonclox

::) ::)  If I told you  roughly how much I have spent on the hobby and 'the wife' ever read it I would probably be beaten to death so I`ll keep my mouth shut and hope to live a bit longer  ;)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

EtchedPixels

It does make you realise that despite the recent price hikes the cost of models has dived versus disposable income.

In the 1970s I saved for a year for a Hornby Hymek, and that was not uncommon. There are good reasons 1960's layouts are so often branch lines with one or two locos and small stock levels. Mind you it did mean the stock was sometimes really quite spectacular because there was a lot more time per model
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

OwL

I would hate to divulge how much I've spent for the same reason as Jonclox (missus would go crazy if she found out :'()

With model railways and N in particular getting better, the price will go up, especially if you look at the quality of some of the latest releases from Dapol and GraFar, but we all have our vices and mine is N scale modelling, so although it squeezes my disposable income, at least I have something to show for my money and it gives me deep pleasure to play trains, and have a railway with engines-trains that  I want to run.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

longbridge

I sometimes wonder why I decided to take up one of the most expensive hobbies around but hey a mans got to do something in his spare time.

If my Wife knew how many thousands I spent on trains she would have my suitcases packed and on the doorstep. :thumbsup:

A flick through the receipts for things I bought for my OO gauge layout in 2003 came to $5,400au or about 4.000 quid, I have built another three layouts since then and probably spent about the same on each of them
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Claude Dreyfus

I'm feeling poor just thinking about what I have spent. For me it is also not just the actual cost of the stuff; it's the postage, VAT and handling fees ( >:( to the latter) that add to it...

porkie

I dread to think what I have spent over the 13yrs....

But when I hear my mates saying that they blow over £100 at weekends drinking  :o

At least I have something to show for it ;D
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

EtchedPixels

Quote from: porkie on June 15, 2011, 10:51:32 PM
I dread to think what I have spent over the 13yrs....

But when I hear my mates saying that they blow over £100 at weekends drinking  :o

So I imagine have they - spilling over their belt ;)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

porkie

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 15, 2011, 11:19:26 PM

So I imagine have they - spilling over their belt ;)

[/quote]

lol,
yeah they have beer and keebab gutts
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

michael

Quote from: porkie on June 15, 2011, 10:51:32 PM

thats exactly how I look at it, and what a think to have to show!

Lawrence

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on June 15, 2011, 10:36:52 PM
For me it is also not just the actual cost of the stuff; it's the postage, VAT and handling fees ( >:( to the latter) that add to it...

hear hear  >:(

Good old Royal Rip Off Mail

tadpole

Mine's about 5k, but I also have 2k worth of EFE/OOC 1:76 buses, total 7k which is ENOUGH already!

So, N-gauge purchases are funded by selling buses, which also frees up the required space. (Buses and their boxes take up heaps more space than equivalent trains. After fees/P&P you need to sell 2 buses to fund a carriage, 5 for a loco).
Two rails good. Three better.

Rod

I've been modelling N gauge for about two months, done virtually nothing and spent about £350...but most of that was funded by selling £270 worth of continental TT, so that makes me feel a bit better...
Rod

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations