strong loco?

Started by Rheneas N Gauge, May 29, 2011, 01:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheneas N Gauge

I have a rake of 18 100t tank wagons with a bit of extra weight to keep them on the rails what would be a suitable loco to pull this train?

findus

I have always found my class 37 to be a good strong runner

http://www.benhamsonline.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2687
First pic of it that came up on google!!

could even double head that would look good with a rake that long

MJKERR

Why did you add the weight?
I have two rakes of ten Graham Farish TEA wagons and don't have any issues
Derailing of these wagons is usually caused by the No 6 locating pins being too tight
The trick there is to swap them between wagons until you find a combination that are free to rotate
If one or two are still too tight, then pinch the locating pin so it doesn't full insert but is tight within its housing

I can use any locos to pull these wagons
The issue I have are the Graham Farish HHA Freightliner wagons, these are VERY heavy and a rake of 15 is the limit for a Graham Farish Class 66, but today I found the Class 57 was able to haul 16 without any problem...

Claude Dreyfus

The most powerful Farish loco I still own (and which that can hold its own with the best of them) is the class 60. It will easily handle 15 Roco Ferrywagons - which are heavy beasts - up our layouts 1/40 gradient...

Its performce is only really bettered by the articulated Kato EH200...now that's something!

MJKERR

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on May 29, 2011, 02:45:57 PMThe most powerful Farish loco I still own (and which that can hold its own with the best of them) is the class 60
Is that reality most powerful, or the model is the most powerful you have?
How did you measure this?

In reality the most powerful I have should be the Class 66, yet it gets outperformed by the Class 57, I suspect the lack of power to weight ratio doesn't help

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: mjkerr on May 29, 2011, 04:07:01 PM
Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on May 29, 2011, 02:45:57 PMThe most powerful Farish loco I still own (and which that can hold its own with the best of them) is the class 60
Is that reality most powerful, or the model is the most powerful you have?
How did you measure this?

In reality the most powerful I have should be the Class 66, yet it gets outperformed by the Class 57, I suspect the lack of power to weight ratio doesn't help

I'm talking about the model.

In terms of measurement, quite simply many models start slipping at low speeds with the Roco rake...or the set of 21 container flats I have. The 60 does not...a feat shared by the Minitrix 47 and the Dapol 58. Even the Bachmann 66 struggles getting the Farrywagons moving on the gradient.

Nothing scientific here...

MJKERR

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on May 29, 2011, 08:23:34 PMquite simply many models start slipping at low speeds with the Roco rake...or the set of 21 container flats I have. The 60 does not...a feat shared by the Minitrix 47 and the Dapol 58. Even the Bachmann 66 struggles getting the Farrywagons moving on the gradient
I too thought the BachFar Class 66 would be the most powerful, after all it would normally be hauling large / long rakes of wagons
Container wagons are not an issue, they are feather light
As above, I was very surprised when I replaced the BachFar Class 66 with a Class 57 and there was no deceleration up the incline, which there is with the Class 66

However, this may be due to the type of decoder fitted
I suspect the Lenz Mini Silver compensates for the varying load (current) as the motor encounters an incline, unlike the Bachmann 36-558 which just gives a flat output

I have yet to test my BachFar Class 60

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations