Why some of us are not getting on with our layouts

Started by MinZaPint, March 23, 2012, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Quote from: MinZaPint on September 08, 2012, 06:20:34 PM

That's another good spot to enjoy yourselves, bit to far for me but used to have a pal who lived there and always had to stay overnight when I went to see him

For drinking establishments I'm afraid it's an absolute walkover if you're after decent pubs with decent ale. Bath wins hands down and it would take me ages to list all the decent pubs there. As a starter try the Green Tree and the Coeur de Lion, probably the 2 smallest pubs you will have ever been in.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Was in Bath for a night a couple of years back and yeah, there are some good pubs. And yeah, the Olympics & Paralympics have been taking up time too. But this weekend was dragged to Sydney Opera House to see South Pacific. "Some enchanted evening......" To be honest it was a good weekend except for the cost of  :pint: at Opera House and taking an hour longer than usual to drive home to Wollongong because the road happened to go through a large bushfire. Oh, and I forgot to mention the other traffic jam between Sydney CBD and Bondi Beach to see my daughter. But they were flying all these huge kites shaped like whales and stuff down on the beach, so it was still pretty cool.
:beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Trainfish on September 09, 2012, 11:35:02 AM

For drinking establishments I'm afraid it's an absolute walkover if you're after decent pubs with decent ale. Bath wins hands down and it would take me ages to list all the decent pubs there. As a starter try the Green Tree and the Coeur de Lion, probably the 2 smallest pubs you will have ever been in.

Gosh is the Couer de Lion still there !. Went there decades ago I remember 2 old ladies ran it and I seem to remember that there were certain beers that they would only sell by the Half Pint !! Will try and see how many I can (a) visit and (b) recall the next day ! :laugh3: :beers:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Trainfish

The wife and I occasionally get the bus into Bath and spend the day shopping and drinking. We went about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately I found that the Bath Model Centre had closed so we had to just do the pub part. Plus of course a visit (well 2 visits actually) to Schwartz Bros for a bite to eat. I think we visited 7 pubs in all including the Coeur De Lion which is now an Abbey Ales establishment after the previous owners unbelievably tried to close it down years ago. We often go to The Star Inn too as I know the Abbey Ales owner very well and a free pint is usually available if Alan is around. Then there's The Bell on Walcot Street which is great for live music and ale. The Garrick's Head is a lunchtime favourite for us as although the food there is expensive you can see Schwartz Bros across the road and we invariably have to go to both. The blue cheeseburgers are fantastic! We usually finish up in The Green Tree as the bus stop is just around the corner to take us home. Hic!
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

I've only had that one visit to Bath a couple of years ago, and you are bringing back fond memories, Trainfish. We went in most of the establishments you talk of. It was the time of year when senior school students had just finished up, and they were all in town for their celebrations. The place was full of stretch Hummers and the fountain was full of bubbles! We went of a guided foot tour called "Bizzare Bath" which was heaps of fun. We had a great couple of days. Thanks for the memories!  :beers:

Trainfish

If I could afford to live in Bath I would do but I'd need to double my current salary to keep up with both the increased mortgage and the extra intake of beer. It really is a fantastic place, probably my favourite town or city in the UK.  :beers:
John

<*))))><

Bealman

I'll go right along with that - we were most impressed, and that's saying something from an ex-Geordie boy!
:beers:

Kipper

On my last trip to Bath, on a works training course, we were put up in a hotel owned by the Methodist Church, and so a temperance hotel. No alcohol was allowed, but we managed to smuggle in quite a bit in our stomachs and bladders each night, from the many great pubs in the town. The staff were not amused by our antics, which only proved the point of temperance to them.

Jerry Howlett

I will be taking note of the recommendations by Trainfish. But living in Devizes home of Wadworths 6X must have its concillations.
I will be in Chippenham for a week few decent pubs left there I fear.

Trainfish

John

<*))))><

MinZaPint

Quote from: Trainfish on September 11, 2012, 02:23:52 PM
6X  :thumbsdown: I hate the stuff

I like it but that's the great thing about real ales there's something to suit all tastes
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Oldman

Waiting for stuff to arrive by Post.
Have currently exhausted all my modeling options till some stuff arrives. :doh:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Bealman

Eating a la carte in the revolving restaurant in Centrepoint Tower high above Sydney for my daughter's 21st birthday.
:beers: Cheers!
[smg id=2242 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Bit blurry, but that is just a glimpse of Sydney Harbour bridge just over my daughter's left shoulder."]

Jerry Howlett

Lovely picture, pity about the old bloke, oh and the view outsides not bad either. :laugh: :laugh:

Bealman

Ha ha...  yeah, probably would have been better without the silly old sod on the left. Incidentally, in addition to the harbour bridge, you can just make out one of the illuminated 'sails' of the Sydney Opera House on the extreme right of the photo.

Sorta related to the photo but on a model railway oriented note, this was a long weekend here in NSW and the 50th Anniversary Sydney Model Railway Club exhibition was held at Liverpool (a very much western suburb of Sydney). I thought about making a detour on the way home to check it out, but didn't because: (a) it would have been a very big detour (b) it would have meant been stuck in long weekend traffic and (c) I would have only seen stuff that I would have desperately wanted to buy but couldn't because of the cost of the above photograph!

Anyway, just wondering of any of the forum 'locals' managed to attend, and if so, their impressions?
Cheers George

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations