Am i the only person here interested in Heavy Aviation Metal?

Started by B757-236GT, April 24, 2013, 09:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Quote from: daveg on August 28, 2015, 06:52:18 AM
Quote from: steve836 on August 27, 2015, 08:03:29 PM
I was stood at the school where I work (Barnardiston Nr. Haverhill in Suffolk) and looked up to see a Vulcan flying low ( I should guess about 200ft) overhead heading towards Bury St. Eds.  Why oh why do they have to do it when I havn't got my camera?

Could it have been the Vulcan that's being retired very shortly after the Clacton show (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/)?

Dave G

Could well have been. We are not that far from Clacton as the crow (or Vulcan) flies.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Buzzard

Saw a DC10 yesterday over the capital, a Brussels to Toronto flight.  It appears to be a Sunday and Wednesday flight and the code if anyone's interested is KFA203.  Departure from Brussels is around 16.30 CEST.

It's been many a year since I've seen one of these old ladies and wondered how many are left in service.  If you discount FedEx (they don't fly their DC10s to Europe), the USAF and a US based airborne fire fighting outfit there are only 10.

Of the 10 two are in Bolivia and one in Venezula so that's only 7 that could be seen in European skies.  Catch them whilst you can.

And on the subject of large trijets there is a squeak of a possibility that a Tristar might still be airworthy, although currently at Victorville so the rumour mill might be wrong.  Anyone know where the RAF ones ended up?

Nigel

There is only one L1011 TriStar still active. It flies in the US for Orbital Sciences.

The only other L1011s with any chance of flying again are the handful of retired RAF ones at Bruntingthorpe. They were supposed to have been sold to a private airborne tanker company in Florian, but still remain parked at Brunty.

MikeDunn

Not exactly heavy ... but I hear a Spitfire had a crash-landing today in a field :(  Pilot seems to be unhurt (or minor), as he got himself out before rescue turned up ...

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 07, 2015, 04:09:28 PM
Not exactly heavy ... but I hear a Spitfire had a crash-landing today in a field :(  Pilot seems to be unhurt (or minor), as he got himself out before rescue turned up ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-34174822

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/COTNdzlWcAAh4L3.jpg

Oh bums!

scottishlocos

All

Not sure if this is correct place to post but I was at Scottish Airshow on Saturday and Sunday as well as an emotional farewell to Vulcan XH558 and the Seaking Helicopters from HMS Gannet there was a guy there with a model of the Terminal Building and apron I think the were using planes from the Corgi range and some cars buses and fire engines from the Oxford die cast range.

Tried to Google it but couldn't find anything but it was exact replica in N scale

Oldun

Not an airliner I know but, some airliners were born from bomber design.

I give you the B-36:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9CWQNZRF8&feature=player_embedded

Now that's 'big metal'  :thumbsup:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

DJM Dave

Ah the good old B-36....... 6 turning and 4 burning.

I've been lucky enough to see all preserved B-36's bar 1 and i'm seeing that next May.
Delightful aircraft you dont realise the size until your in the bomb bay.

Have a look at my Zenfolio site for pics of 3 of them.......  in the military aircraft section............

Castle Airbase, Pima in Tucson, USAF museum Dayton.

davejonesphotography/zenfolio

Lots of heavy metal in there along with a civilian section too.

cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

pape_timmo

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Agrippa

B36 was the daddy, a mix of jet engines and props. I always liked the TU95
and the B52, old cold warriors, I think when the buff is retired the design
will have been in service for about 70 years.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

javlinfaw7

A machine with such a long range a fighter was developed to be carried in it,XF85

Jimmy77

Quote from: Agrippa on November 10, 2015, 11:38:23 PM
B36 was the daddy, a mix of jet engines and props. I always liked the TU95
and the B52, old cold warriors, I think when the buff is retired the design
will have been in service for about 70 years.

If you like B-52's then you should enjoy this  :)

! No longer available

After the latest upgrade program it looks like they'll be operating until 2040, almost 90 years of service!

Cheers,

Jimmy

Agrippa

Smokin' !  When the Leuchars air show was on I'd go the day before it started
to see the B52  arrive, as  it was on the static display. You couldn't board the buff
but you could visit the cockpit and boom operating station of the adjacent KC135.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

javlinfaw7

There were proposed guppy transport versions of both b52 and b36 fortunately neither were built
T

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations