The story of this station predates that of the Caterham Railway Company. First opened as Godstone Road by the London and Brighton Railway in 1841, it was closed 6 years later due to lack of use by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway.
After a bitter dispute, and then having to sue the LB&SCR, the CRC opened the branch line and were able to use the station in 1856. The station was renamed Caterham Junction just a few months later.
On the 1st October 1888 Caterham Junction was renamed Purley. There were a lot of plans in the immediate area for railway expansion and so the station was widened and rebuilt between 1896 and 1899.
The engine shed built in 1898 still survives and has been converted into offices for railway personnel.
8th August 1914.
6th May 1934.
Above: Luggage Label from 1923 -
Right: SE&CR Luggage Label from 1899-
Luggage Label from 1856 -
Luggage Label from 1888 -
Top Ticket: 14th May 1890.
Bottom Ticket: 18th October 1891.