!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New to Forum!  (Read 1523 times)

Offline findus

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23578
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: New to Forum!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »
Have put wikipedia as refrence  :P

Its amazing how information can be wrong even on a public forum like wiki.. i thought it was a very intresting read, more as i have no idea of rail history.

where did you get your information from~? or is this just common knowledge?

Offline poliss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
Etched has got it right. I was thinking of the Vale of Rheidol narrow gauge line which was privatised in 1989. The last steam time a steam locomotive ran on standard gauge, (four foot eight and a half inches) was indeed in 1968.

The improvement in gears could indeed have come from tanks. There was a programme on the UK History, channel about tank restoration, which compared the Panther and the Sherman gears.

It's known that you have to check what's written on Wikipedia as it can be edited by anyone. Other printed encyclopedias have also been wrong in the past, but before the internet age it was very hard to check them.

Ref. http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/history.htm

Panther/Sherman gears. http://military.discovery.com/videos/tank-overhaul-the-panther-part-2.html

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
where did you get your information from~? or is this just common knowledge?

The big problem with Wikipedia is that it can be edited by anyone without any quality filtering. Other open projects filter on quality so quality rises, Wikipedia doesn't. That means it tends to report what the common belief is not reality.

It's still a useful tool, but facts in it should be referenced in the article and it's often worth reading the references to see what they really say on the subject. Think of it like the Daily Wail, the full story may be different 8)

How did I get my info - lots of reading and being there. I was in Aberystwyth as a student around that period for one so I've ridden BR steam despite being born at the end of BR mainline steam.

The performance of the GWR railcars is fairly well covered in books on the subject, and they draw on the GWR's own plans and minutes as primary sources so it is well documented in general. The actual company minutes are not easy to get hold of which is a pity judging by the fascinating stuff quoted in books by people who do read them. My favourite being the minutes of the S&D covering the first painting of numbers onto locomotives.

It wasn't done it turns out for the railway to manage and identify them (they all looked different anyway) - no it was so members of the public could identify them when reporting bad behaviour and other transgressions by the crews ! - primary amongst which according to other minutes were speeding, drinking, and unauthorized passengers (notably women) on the footplate. But then I guess at the time it was a dangerous job and these folks were the formula one drivers of the day!

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal