!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: An LMS layout  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Coyote

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
An LMS layout
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »
I am a new member to the forum, although I have been viewing for a few weeks.

I am starting on my third N gauge layout, an oval with a small station. The first layout was 20 years ago, and had to be broken up when we moved to a bigger house and there was no room for it. The rolling stock was carefully put away waiting for the right time. Two years ago I purchased a layout secondhand but the track was not laid correctly or even designed well. So now it's version 3 from scratch and was based on Hawes in Yorkshire until I started to work out just how big it need to be. Even just a hint of the original was still to big for the space available, so what is left bears little resemblance to the real thing.

The board is 150cm x 75cm, with a mixture of Peco track styles. There is still a lot of work to be done and many kits to be built. And the wiring is another task that has not even been planned yet.

Finally I need to improve my photography skills.

Dave

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
Re: An LMS layout
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum. What you've done so far looks great. You obviously discovered the possible perils of second hand layouts! You can get lucky and get a good one like Tank's old one, but quite often they're selling for a reason! I recently picked up an end to end layout that didn't work either, so in the end I pulled up all the track and this will become a shelf diorama. Shame the original had to go.

I wouldn't leave it too long before you start planning wiring as it will be easier to wire the track before it's all fixed down, and if you anticipate point motors, lighting etc, work out where the wiring will go before fixing any scenery down.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Coyote!  Your layout looks to be coming on well, and you have a great trackplan.  Is there anything hidden behind the scenery, or just a return loop?

And thanks for the compliment of my layout Chris. :thumbsup:

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
Welcome aboard Coyote, look forward to seeing this develop, my first layout (over 30 years ago now) was LMS, as I recall I had a black5 and a repainted S&DJR repainted 8F?

Offline Coyote

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments. The points do need to be done soon, along with some form of control panel. I stopped their initial progress when I counted how many point motors were needed, and then there was the decision as to what make. Previously I used Peco because their was no alternative, whatever I choose I will require a detection switch for each point so that I can see what is happening on the out of sight points.

The out of sight part is mainly loops with a couple of sidings for storage that will be relaid soon, longer and straighter.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
Very nice....much more there than I thought!

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
Nice start you've made there, I'll be looking forwards to seeing more :)

R E Faust

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything