!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New motor Q1  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
New motor Q1
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
I thought I would try one of these as they were discounted at the Dapol open day. The one I purchased was a poor runner so I sent it back to Dapol, this was also poor so I sent it back. When the third one was a poor runner also, I sent it to DCC supplies as they are freepost. I just had an email from them and they can't fix it economically so I will be getting my fourth one from Dapol. Hope it's a good one.

Offline macwales

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New motor Q1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi

I bought one of these when they came out in the summer. Out of the box it had a broken wire from tender to loco. At the loco end the wire is soldered so I had to resolder it. I should have sent it back but I had waited so long for it. I had to sort out the quartering as it wobbled a bit.

After running in it goes just OK and will move very slowly but unless given some wellie it is not a good puller, probably because the traction tyres have been left off this version. It slips quite a lot and it also has a tendency to derail on a left then immediatley right radius 2 curve where nothing else has a problem which is frustrating.

I think I might try fitting two traction tyres but it might cause pick up problems. Has anyone else  tried this?

I now use it with a banker - a Dapol Terrier and if I keep the train fairly short this works well on my DC.

Cheers

Mac

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
I thought I would try one of these as they were discounted at the Dapol open day. The one I purchased was a poor runner so I sent it back to Dapol, this was also poor so I sent it back. When the third one was a poor runner also, I sent it to DCC supplies as they are freepost. I just had an email from them and they can't fix it economically so I will be getting my fourth one from Dapol. Hope it's a good one.
I'd swear that they keep the dodgy ones just for you mate !
4th time lucky maybe ? Having seen your original release ones trundle round quite well (still a little jerky), i was surprised to see the latest ones perform poorly....
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
I did ring Dapol and I asked if it could be a dodgy batch. They say they haven't had other returns so either I am incredibly unlucky or other people aren't so worried as me about decent running. The locos all worked in a fashion but between them some of the faults were: not good at slow speed, wobbly wheels, pickup issues, Non-parallel con rods, very hot motors and the last one had a click every wheel revolution. I think the fact DCC Supplies have written the last one off proves that it is not just me being fussy.

BTW I can't fault Dapol's service or staff. They are all very helpful, as are DCC Supplies.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:46:28 PM by Elvinley »

Offline bymr

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
I bought one of these a few months back from Hattons and without a doubt it is one of the best running (and looking) locos in my collection. It is a very silent runner and the detail is incredible. Runs well on 1st radius curves too which is a bonus!

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
You seem to have the same luck with Dapol as I have with Farish tender drives- ie approximately none!

Les

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal