!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Materials for modern office buildings  (Read 876 times)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Materials for modern office buildings
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
Anyone know where I can get some cheapo smoked acrylic, clear acrylic and the sort of film that is used to darken car windows with a mirror effect?

Any other ideas on materials for an ultra modern office building (Canary Wharf style)? I've been researching some of Quinntopia's work, Scaper's work and have been on JNS and other sites and they seem to use the materials listed above.

I am considering scratch building some ultra modern office buildings but want to cost it out first and assess the degree of difficulty of working with these materials.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Materials for modern office buildings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
Anyone know where I can get some cheapo smoked acrylic, clear acrylic and the sort of film that is used to darken car windows with a mirror effect?materials.

Clear plastic film I get from packaging. Smoked is harder. The car film just ask one of the car vinyl mob for offcuts and take a bag!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Lawrence

• N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
Depends a bit on how you are going to construct them Jane, if you are going to use something like plasticard H beams you can glue acetate sheets in place, a reasonable mirrored effect can be achieved by spraying the back of the acetate black or very dark blue.  Most stationery stores or computer supplies shops should have acetate sheets.  Craft shops (don't know if you have one close) should have coloured acetate sheets

Offline Matthew-peter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23667
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »
Howdy,

A friend of mine once recommended these to me for modelling, in 00 scale *takes cover* and the time he used their stock he said it was quite good. Not sure if its as cheap as you want it or even what you are after but this is their frosted/smoked stock, they do have quite a lot of stuff in stock though, although as I say I have never used it myself, was just recommended them.
http://sheetplastics.co.uk/Acrylic_Perspex_Sheet/Frosted_Acrylic_Sheet

If it does help than goodo, if not, then nevermind.
OK who took my cake?

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies. This is the guidelines I am using for the building. He has scored lines into the smoked acrylic.

http://www.quinntopia.com/2009/10/creating-skyscraper-from-scratch-part-1.html

I'll see if I can get some off-cuts somewhere so I can practice the scoring technique before buying decent stuff.

Offline Matthew-peter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23667
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »
If you have a secondary school near you, it may be worth asking the technology staff if they have any off cuts to practice on?
An odd place to ask but could be fruitful  :hmmm:
OK who took my cake?

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Purely by chance, I think I may have found one solution - the shiny bags that memory chips come in are the window effect that I am looking for. Will need to do some trials.

Offline H

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
You can get a special smoked effect aerosol for tinting clear acrylic/polycarbonate. It's available in different 'colours' like blue, brown and grey. I used it for the windows of my 442 wessie and one of the office tower blocks on my layout. 

H.

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »
You have a PM -not mirrored but might be of use.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Hey,

I am slowly designing a modern building of my own based on a prototype I know very well. I have experimented by building a small station shelter (as shown on Filton TMD).

One thing I have experimented with and found to be quite successful is using printer friendly acetate in my bog standard inkjet. I printed off 1 sheet with many different shades (using MS word to change colour brightness) and chose my window tone for the shelter from that.

Work on the project is slow at the moment and I have not progressed beyond drawings on the laptop, but will post when I get going.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything