!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix and Sankei  (Read 35015 times)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix and Sankei
« on: November 11, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
Finally got some time today to work on the layout. I am gradually lighting the buildings and, depending on how I get on, the layout is likely to change from seaside town to seaside with Canary Wharf style buildings. I love Canary Wharf and one of the advantages of going urban is that I won't have the problem of trying to source loads of realistic trees without emptying my bank account. I have been gaining inspiration from Quinntopia.

The Kato Cylindrical Building, I turned into an Art Gallery

This is the Veroboard with the wires for the building. It will fit in the out-of focus part of the building. Two wires go to the power source.

This is the building with the wires still to be joined to the Veroboard. If I was doing this again, I would solder these wires direct to the Veroboard but I am still learning how to solder this stuff and it was easier to do the Veroboard first. The heatshrink is only there to identify the wires as I got my colour coding mixed up! Unfortunately the street lights were all duds - I have sent a note to Everest models from eBay, normally they are extremely reliable.

This is the lit building - single LEDs were used for the cylindrical part (two for each floor) and a single strip of 3 LEDs for the rectangular part. I wanted to create a sort of surreal effect for the top of the building so used a blue LED. The top floor has the lights behind the walls to give a translucent effect to the pictures and also to give a contrast in the lighting to the other floors.

I printed the Tate Modern logo in reverse on Crafty Computer clear waterslide transfer paper. When it is stuck to the doors, it comes out the right way. The other door is a red blind done the same way. I've been using transfers quite a bit now. The pictures in the gallery were transfers and I've been using the transfers as blinds on rows of small windows.

This is one of the floors of the gallery. The curved bench seats were made by cutting and sticking two layers of FabFoam from Hobbycraft which fitted the sitting people very well. FabFoam also was used as a covering for the floors. The building comes with the floors but I drilled the holes in all the wrong places for the lights so had to make my own floors from plasticard covered with FabFoam. Scotsoft pointed me in the direction of a 'Dremel' from Maplins earlier in the year - I am finding it invaluable for this work.

One of the problems with both Kato and Tomix buildings is the amount of light bleed through the plastic and also that some of the edges are not entirely straight - the church was no exception and needed quite a bit of work. The church was lit with a strip of 3 LEDs. The strip was stuck onto a piece of foamboard with 3 holes cut into it for each of the lights. I did this to control where the light went - otherwise there would be too much light coming out of the side windows (and churches generally keep an eye on energy costs - so lights are on the dim side)

I wanted to give the church some stained glass windows. These were images from the web, scaled and printed onto transparency paper before sticking to the back of the windows

The front of the church with 'Rose' window

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:12:33 AM by Pengy »
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:10:40 PM »
Nice work Pengy, looks really smart, Blackpool illuminations next  :)

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
They look superb and I like the stained glass windows  :thumbsup:

I am pleased the "Dremel" has proved its worth, shame they have stopped selling them.

cheers John.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments.

An update from Everest models, they are going to send me another pack. This is great service!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 07:06:04 AM »
That looks really good.
I also love the little church, Well done indeed,
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:16:45 AM »
Very nice work Pengy especially the blue top floor.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »
Nice work Pengy, looks really smart, Blackpool illuminations next  :)

Blackpool illuminations? Now there's a thought! Not sure where I'd get small enough LEDs . . .
I think it would be beyond my capabilities at the moment but who knows for the future.

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
Really impressive stuff!

I have some street and yard lamps to fit but not tried any internal lighting. Most of my building are Metcalfe and I think light bleed would be a bit of a challenge. Perhaps if I do any new kits I could insert black card to reduce that.

Dave G

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »
The church was made from thicker plastic but even that was not thick enough to prevent some light coming through the roof. Insulating tape does the trick ok (can get rolls of it from 99p shop)

I am working on the Tomix Bank. Should be easy to light as the windows are very small so no point in doing an interior. However the bottom edges are slightly wiggly in places and the whole thing is taking an age to do.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
Really impressive stuff!

I have some street and yard lamps to fit but not tried any internal lighting. Most of my building are Metcalfe and I think light bleed would be a bit of a challenge. Perhaps if I do any new kits I could insert black card to reduce that.

Dave G

I've not had any light bleed problems using Metcalfe kits, the card they are made from seems thick enough to prevent it. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
Gotta admire that work, Pengy. Well done :thumbsup:

Offline brbluewill

• N Gauge Society Number: 22442
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
brilliant  :claphappy: very effective and something which brings a layout to life :thumbsup:
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »
Love your work! Really inspiring.  :thankyousign:
Still planning a layout...

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
Great work Pengy, the building look superb.   Nowadays churches generally seem to have spotlights set into the grounds to illuminate the outside - are you going to try and emulate that?

Now you have started - you have to go all the way. 

I need to learn a thing or two about this myself especially when it comes down to power sources, LED types and which resistors.  I will ultimately need street / Yard lights and internal lights (houses mainly) so any guidance you give will be greatly appreciated...

:goggleeyes:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
I need to learn a thing or two about this myself especially when it comes down to power sources, LED types and which resistors.  I will ultimately need street / Yard lights and internal lights (houses mainly) so any guidance you give will be greatly appreciated...

For general internal lighting now is the time to act! If you are not confident in electronics, walk into your local pound shop or similar christmas selection and find a suitably tacky cheap *LED* (not bulb)  christmas tree light set in white, one with a flash rate controller that goes to not flashing and power supply.  Some come in one long strand which isn't so useful others in multiple strands, which will do most of a street. If you can only get brilliant white then while in the pound shop buy a tin of chocolates in those various colours of  semi-transparent plastic wrappers and save the wrappers over christmas

Generally way cheaper than you build them, especially in the Christmas sale !

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal