!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix and Sankei  (Read 35018 times)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Wot Caz said :claphappy:

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
Agree  :bounce:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
Looks right to me Pengy   :bounce:  if your happy theres no  lightbleed  & the  light effect is what you want to achieve  seal it up   ;) 

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
Thank you for your comments - I am probably going to leave it as it is. There is an expression 'don't let excellence be the enemy of the good'. Whilst I do not proclaim that this work is good in any way, if I tinker with it further then I will probably break one of the wires and have to start again.

One thing I am going to do is change the name of this petrol station. It is a Les Dawson character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3VfMeNYrg8
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »
One thing I am going to do is change the name of this petrol station. It is a Les Dawson character

Why not stick an "S" on the end to make Cosmos, that's if you have an "S"  ;)

I do think your canopy is brilliant  :admiration:

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the nice comment, John. I'm now struggling with getting primer to attach itself to the petrol station 'shop'. Some of the Tomix stuff is a nightmare to get the paint started - I might have to be a bit more vigorous with sanding. Still - this amount of paint should limit the light bleed.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
Have been working on an illuminated sign for the service station. This is the proof of concept - which is almost there. The sign is exactly the same height and width as the one that came with the service station - although it is a little bit thicker now to accommodate the two SMDs

One of the pillars at the back of the canopy is a bit thicker - this is so that I could pass the wires down from the canopy. The original pillars were not hollow - sadly.  It looks a bit worse in the picture than it is. Once I get some more plastic tubing (I have be bumper lot from Everest on order), I may replace. The pillars are not multicoloured - it is the way they have photographed.

I now have the shop to complete and then the service station is pretty much done.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Cracking job! I'm going to have to re-read your whole thread to see if I can understand how you have got such brilliant results.

Remember this? -
Quote from: daveg on November 25, 2012, 07:22:16 PM

Neat job. I like the fencing around the sub station, Pengy. How did you make it?

Dave G

I didn't make it, it came with the kit. I'd like to get some more of it too

Well, just bought a cheapo splatter guard and the mesh looks pretty fine. Will compare it with the stuff that's on my GF sub station and hopefully it will be similar and usable elsewhere.

Dave G

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 08:02:32 AM »
Daveg - you are a genuis!

I've just looked out my old splatter guard and it looks just the job (except it is filthy). I have a tennis court which I've used metallic ribbon to fence but I think a splatter guard would do the job much better. I'll be paying the 99p shop a visit to try and get a couple. What would you use to cut it?

I'm a bit disappointed with my 99p shop at the moment, I'm after the bumper pack of cocktail sticks that they normally have but have not had them in stock for some time now.

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »
What would you use to cut it?
Your cordless Maplins Dremel look a like will do the job superbly.
The only thing I found with the splatter guards is when you cut them they can fray very easily and they are an absolute pain to solder.  I used a splatter guard when I made my static grass gizmo and soldering one wire to the mesh took a few attempts
  :veryangry:

I'm a bit disappointed with my 99p shop at the moment, I'm after the bumper pack of cocktail sticks that they normally have but have not had them in stock for some time now.

You must have had a good festive season then  :pint: :laugh2: :whistle: :whiteflag:

:beers: John.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
Daveg - you are a genuis!

I've just looked out my old splatter guard and it looks just the job (except it is filthy). I have a tennis court which I've used metallic ribbon to fence but I think a splatter guard would do the job much better. I'll be paying the 99p shop a visit to try and get a couple. What would you use to cut it?

Tesco do them (cocktail sticks) and some have a cool little lip routed in to the top. Look good when you colour them and use them for chimney pots. Pics somewhere if I can find them.

Not sure about cutting the mesh. I'll experiment during the week and let you know. Maybe a new Stanley blade and a steel rule will be enough.

Dave G

Offline intraclast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22892
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Hi Pengy,

I've just read this thread from start to finish and really enjoyed it. The work you're doing here is superb. I'm looking forward to seeing them in situ.

What is the advantage of SMD's over rice grain (& other) LEDs? are they smaller? cheaper? more versatile?

Thanks

Mark

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
Hi Pengy,

I've just read this thread from start to finish and really enjoyed it. The work you're doing here is superb. I'm looking forward to seeing them in situ.

What is the advantage of SMD's over rice grain (& other) LEDs? are they smaller? cheaper? more versatile?

Thanks

Mark

Hi  Mark,   

Forget  grain  of  rice  bulbs they can be too  large  with N gauge &  dont run  as cool  as  LED's/SMD's  of last as long  with  the majority  of LED's / SMD's  you can  install  them  &  wont need to replace them   as long as a resistor  is used with them   more information  is here in this link   http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=522781

For dimensions of the SMDS   go  to page 4   of this thread to   my  two earlier  postings  where i  detailed them   with links,   once you've  seen  the advantages  of  LED's /SMD's  over  normal  bulbs   you  wont go  back to them.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:25:49 PM by upnick »

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
Re: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix and Sankei
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
As I am waiting for supplies from China and also wanting a break from light proofing Tomix buildings, I have put the service station and pizza restaurant aside and decided to construct a couple of Sankei paper kits that I've had for a while

This is the first one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sankei-MP03-32-Building-1-150-N-scale-/121048156664?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c2f0849f8

The building itself is a little lighter than in the photo and darker than Plazajapans image. I have replaced the clear plastic sheets supplied for glazing with two thicknesses of car window tints that Oldman kindly gave me. This photo does not show it very well, but the tints give a dark mirror effect to the windows - which is the effect I am looking for. The big problem with this building is that the fence at the top is attached to the front, sides and back so it keeps getting bent about when I am working on the building. There is hardly any light bleed with these kits

This is the building lit

The boys are sorting out an issue with the cabinets that house the routers etc on the second floor

The top floor is the call centre (I know how much you all love call centres >:D). This is one of the rows of agents at their screens (which are thin black card supported on a bit of black heatshrink - that has been shrunk). The photo has picked out the poor quality of the painting on one of the peeps - it will not be noticeable from the viewing distance though. However, I will be more careful  in selecting the peeps if they will be in view.

I still have signs etc to put on the building

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »
Great modelling and a super eye for detailing too :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00