!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix and Sankei  (Read 35143 times)

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Re: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
Hi  Pengy,   

I use  N  scale motor armature wind wire for  SMD's  to  get the wire to adhere   well  to the SMD   pads  hold the wire with  around   half an  inch  of the  wires end  between your finger &  thumb  apply lit lighter very quickly to remove the insulation  coating .........  then   add  a  small amount of flux   to  the  end of the wire   with the SMD     held  by  bluetac on a bottle top   place the  fluxed end of the wire on the  SMD's   pad &  quickly apply a hot  iron tip with a  tiny  amount of solder as soon as the  flux sizzles  remove the iron  an   excess  wire  can be trimed carefully with  a   knife  on  your workbench.   

Then   a tiny  drop   of  CA   glue   on the solder joins  &   along where you  stripped  the wire of insulation if  needs  be applied with a cocktail stick tip to   recoat it  should finish  it  fine i   do  carefully twist both wires into one    once the CA   has dried &   test  it  works ok  before fitting  into   a  building etc. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:11:46 PM by upnick »

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
Have been doing more wiring with the SMDs  (0603 SMD Warm White LED).

I am still using the Kynar (as not able to get any of the copper wire yet) but used the CA glue and then twisted the wires as Nick suggested. Managed a 100% light up rate with the soldering and then blew two lights by stupidity with a resistor. The hardest part, for me, it tinning the first pad. I did modify the process as once the first wire was soldered, I clipped the wire into the 'helping hands' and found it much easier to tin the other pad and attach the wire. I don't intend these wires to be visible so happy with the Kynar at the moment

Forgot to mention that yesterday I bought these items from the 99p shop - total spend 1.98

The Black Dog Head Torch (which has 9 LED bulbs), I found to be essential and it gave me ample light for this work (saved buying an angled lamp). The reading glasses (-3.5) were good when I required higher magnification but I could probably have done with stronger ones

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
Have you seen these clip on magnifiers?

They might be what you need to clip on to your 1 pair for when you are soldering the SMD bits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIP-ON-LOUPE-5X-magnifier-glasses-spectacle-/300518193467?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item45f847b93b

cheers John.

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
Hi  Pengy,   

If soldering  603  SMD's are on the small  side  ......  try  the 1206   size of them 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50p-1206-SMD-SMT-WARM-WHITE-LED-LAMP-LIGHT-2300mcd-/130461167420?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item1e60176f3c

using SMD's in buildings where there is more room  for eg as against  lighting in a loco   they're ideal  & a lot easier on the eye

their size is
SIZE:L 3.2 x W 1.6 x D 1.1mm 1206 SMT SMD LED

Compared to  603's 
SIZE: L 1.6 x W  0.8 x  D 0.8mm 0603 SMD LED

Offline scotsoft

• Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
I just ordered some of those on the 23rd Dec  :goggleeyes:  :'(  :no:  ;)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »
Geez those critters are unbelievably small... you all have my utmost admiration.  :goggleeyes:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
I just ordered some of those on the 23rd Dec  :goggleeyes:  :'(  :no:  ;)

Which  size did you order John ? 

Offline scotsoft

• Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »
These ones, I think it was the link you sent me a while back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370390419956?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
These ones, I think it was the link you sent me a while back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370390419956?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Oh    :uneasy: good luck  with them  John  with practice they do become easier  the results  are worth the  fiddlyness  of them    :bounce:

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Thanks for the thought Nick, I have enough LED strips for the buildings. If I know what I know now, I probably would have gone for the 1206s for the buildings in the first place but I was so nervous about soldering the lights and envisaged ruining a lot of them so I thought the strips were a safer bet.

I do have a specific use for the 603s in a couple of buildings and now I even find the process of soldering them to be quite therapeutic! I'm just amazed that I have been able to solder something so tiny - when I can make a pigs ear of soldering just about anything else!

I'm going to get some Blu-tak tomorrow (had run out) so this should crack the slight difficulty I have with the tinning of the first pad.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
I've now moved on to lighting the Tomix gas station. This building also looks plasticky but the main problem is the light bleed through the canopy. Having looked at my local petrol station the underside of the canopy appears to be covered in 'tiles' and the there are a number of small lights inset into the 'tiles' giving almost a spotlight effect.

Turning the Tomix canopy over, there is enough space to fit a false 'ceiling'. The other issue with this canopy is that it is made of a different sort of plastic that regular glue doesn't stick to. So if I were to make the false 'ceiling' a tight enough fit, then I will hopefully not need to glue. I can also use the ridges on the canopy to align the wires and also paint the false ceiling black to prevent light bleed

The is the false ceiling with four holes for the leds and one of my newly wired 0603s over one of the holes (stuck with Kapton tape)

And here is the ceiling attached to the roof (trial fit) with the led lit

As you can see, there is terrific light bleed so the next step will be to give this false 'ceiling' a number of coats of black paint (and also the canopy too!). I will also be using a different resistor to tone down the light a bit.

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
Hi  Pengy,   

The spotlights look   very effective sure once you  give the  roof/false ceiling several coats of  black  paint  the   lightbleed will  be solved .........    look  forward to seeing more progress    :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
Looking good, Pengy! Geez, those tiny LEDs are incredibly bright, aren't they. LED technology has certainly come a long way since the days of only being able to get red, yellow, orange and green!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »
Here's the first fitting (after painting the insides with black)

It is just about the effect I want

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Looking good Pengy, I think you've cracked it,  :claphappy:   :claphappy:

Please Support Us!