!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix and Sankei  (Read 35100 times)

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
Re: My attempts at lighting buildings, Kato and Tomix
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
Brilliant thanks EP, and just to build on that if you get the cheap pound shop Fibre Optics lights then you have a lifetimes head and taillights for trains.....
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline steam-driven boy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16277
  • 2mm Association Number: 4524
  • Hey! I'm just this guy, y'know?
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »
Hi,
...one of the advantages of going urban is that I won't have the problem of trying to source loads of realistic trees without emptying my bank account. I have been gaining inspiration from Quinntopia.

The Kato Cylindrical Building, I turned into an Art Gallery

Very neat and tidy looking work there, I too love the blue lighting.
Ultra-urban is my way to go in my own small fashion. but just for the 'ell of it there will be a small strip of geenery on the central reservation of the dual-carriageway as a sop to the environmentalists... - and it certainly will save a bit on realistic tree purchasing but that notional saving will be ploughed back into the lighting and structures I suspect  :thumbsup:
I think it is a necessity to have full internal lighting in urban public buildings visibly on during daylight hours - shades of Love's "Car lights on in the daytime blues" - except for my one planned building with black windows that won't show such :smiley-laughing:
There will be daylight only operation though for the layout, the thought I'll have enough lifespan to add lighting to all those coaches, road vehicles and street lights looks way too optimistic for me at my rate of progress...

Just out of idle curiosity could you run a ruler over the cylindrical part of the building?  I know the overall dimensions for the whole structure but a comparison for when(ever!) I tackle my scratchbuild 'Rotunda' would be useful  8)

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...
Solsbury Hill Layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6978.0

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »

Just out of idle curiosity could you run a ruler over the cylindrical part of the building?  I know the overall dimensions for the whole structure but a comparison for when(ever!) I tackle my scratchbuild 'Rotunda' would be useful  8)

Regards, Gerry.

The building is 115mm high (including the roof structure), 80mm without the roof structure. The floors work out at 17mm high for each. Internal diameter is 43mm, external 50mm. The 'rectangular' part is 50mm w x 38mm d x 68mm h.

I have now added the street lights - this was a real tale of woe.  I discovered that my 15W iron was not hot enough to solder some of the wires (the +ve wire from the light to the resistor) so acquired a 40W iron from a neighbour but had problems with contamination of the tip. The 40W iron was able to solder the wires ok once I had finally got the tip clean but the contamination has eaten away at the tip. Good job they don't want it back! If I was doing this building again, I would have used thinner wires.

It is very difficult to photograph the building with these lights as the lights give off a blue cast and if I compensate for that under incandescent lights, then the rest of the building has a muddy cast. So the pictures were taken in the dark using a white balance setting of 'flash' on my camera.

I also found more light bleed through the roof of the church so added more insulation tape to the insides. Whilst I was doing it, I centered the rose window and also added some pink Fab Foam to the back of it to tone down the amount of light coming through.

Still working on the bank - have added streetlights. Found light bleed through the front of the building when viewed in the dark (but not in ambient). The bank is normally a tan colour but I have painted it dark grey now and the light bleed has diminished. As I said in my an earlier post, this building should be easy but the poor quality of the Kato kit means I have spent more time on it than the Art Gallery and the church put together - I'm getting a bit fed up with this building now.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Despite the troubles you are having they do look superb, well done  :thumbsup:

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
Excellent work  Pengy look forward to seeing more  ;)

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
They are looking very good, Quintopia has a rival  ;)

They may be taking you some time to do but look on the bright side, they are keeping you busy and away from looking at trains for sale  :D

cheers John.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 05:35:01 AM »
The other good thing is that it is keeping me away from chocolate . . . ( only for a short while though)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
Looks great.. just needs DCC controlled church bells and a choir...  :claphappy:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline steam-driven boy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16277
  • 2mm Association Number: 4524
  • Hey! I'm just this guy, y'know?
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »
Hi,
The building is 115mm high (including the roof structure), 80mm without the roof structure. The floors work out at 17mm high for each. Internal diameter is 43mm, external 50mm. The 'rectangular' part is 50mm w x 38mm d x 68mm h.
Thanks for those numbers, a useful reference to keep in the back of my mind when the time comes  :thumbsup:

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...
Solsbury Hill Layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6978.0

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
I've put the dreaded Bank aside for the moment and turned my attention to the Tomix Electrical Substation which is a very plasticky looking building.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Substation-Tomix-4023-1-150-N-scale-/200830332561?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2ec26bae91

Whilst searching the web for ideas on substations, I found a website showing the progress of the construction of the Sumida Crossing layout (which I am shamelessly poaching ideas from)

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/TheModelRailroad/LayoutScenery/VillageBuildings/

When I first bought this building, I had no intention of lighting it and stupidly glued it all together, including the windows. This left me with the problem of how to prevent the light bleed - so had to paint two coats of black over a primer inside the building, and the windows are very small.

I didn't know what the inside of a modern substation building looked like (and the web was not much help either) so guessed that it might look at bit like a computer server room - so copied some pictures.

I made this structure out of foamcore for the inside.

and this is what it looks like through one of the windows

The substation is towards the back of my layout and, with the windows being so small, I wondered whether to just put blinds on the windows and not bother with the inside - but decided to do it in case I moved the substation into a more prominent position. Will post more pictures in due course in its progress.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
It's been a few years since I was last in a sub station, but the had huge transformers, lots of big metal boxes and ceramic insulators.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
It's been a few years since I was last in a sub station, but the had huge transformers, lots of big metal boxes and ceramic insulators.

All of that is on the ground floor of the building (says I  - thinking quickly on my feet and with a nose growing longer by the minute) The top floor has been subcontracted to the company that hosts the NGF servers!

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
Some more progress on the substation

The building is almost complete except that I used transfers for the grilles as finding it difficult to hand paint them (there are 15 of them). I'm probably going to have another crack at hand painting some of them although they look ok from the distance they will be on the layout. The safety signs have been applied. The roof is a bit of sandpaper. I quite often see this type of coloured roof on industrial units in my patch (but not on a substation). I'll probably use a resistor to damp the lighting down a bit too.

I have added this small building to the substation - with the roof covered with the same sandpaper.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »
Nicely done Pengy, looks very effective.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)